MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 09 July 2009, 10:07
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
Amperage question

If i did the calcutlations and my amperage i need is 14.5 (rounded) would it be safe to go with something lower lik 13amp or higher around 16 amps? how do i decide what is safe or not?
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 10:25
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
If you're referring to the amps needed to run your stepper motors, you can almost always go lower, because it would be a very rare situation when all motors were working 100%. I would not go lower than 75% of the calculated amps.

You can always go higher (within reason) without any problem. The motors will draw only as much current as they need. Having 20A available but only drawing 10A is acceptable. Stepper motors draw differing amounts of current depending on the load on the motor, so, unlike most other electronics, their amps requirements vary constantly.

If you're referring to the amps required by the router or spindle or any other device, be sure that you have at least the calculated amps available to avoid overheating those kinds of devices.
Old Thu 09 July 2009, 10:32
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbygt500buddy View Post
If i did the calcutlations and my amperage i need is 14.5 (rounded) . . . . .
If you already used the 0.67 factor in your calc, then go for the 16 Amp power supply.

If you simply added all your motor currents together, then first multiply by 0.67 and pick a supply equal to that or next higher.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read