MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 20 March 2013, 03:22
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Self Made Control Enclosure

I have a left-over sheet of 17 gauge steel, instead of buying a control enclosure, is it OK to make one or are there rules against such?
Old Wed 20 March 2013, 04:17
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Go for it. It has been done.

I would just make wure to create an edge that you can get a good seal on.

You will also want to have a piece of steel or Aluminium to make a back plate for inside the box.

Also 17g is a little thin, but should stiffen up as you build the box. If you have a brake I would role the edge about 1/2 inch to double the thickness of the lip around the box opening. I would also do the same for the lid. Make the lid so it fits over the box like a shoe box. You can hinge or just use screws to keep it closed. Using the shoe box type lid will let you use a piece of hose (Sugical tubing works good for this) to make a seal. You could also use the ruber seal like on the edge of tool boxes.

http://www.realworktrucks.com/servic...trip-trim.html
Old Wed 20 March 2013, 18:59
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks for the advise Mike, thought if I had the material...I will try to copy the details of another enclosure I already have but make it the size I need. Hey, do you have an 'interior' control box kit for sale? I've got some of the seal you're talking of.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read