MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 01 February 2007, 11:07
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Motionking (China)

I have just gotten an E-mail from Motionking with a nice drive for the Motionking motors.

And for the price they are also a good thing at a price of $88 a piece... plus P&P...

The drive is this one. 2H090MK

www.motionking.com
Old Thu 01 February 2007, 11:26
Gerald_D
Just call me:

In that driver's handbook (link) it says "current halving possible", which is presumed to mean the current halving when the motor is standing still. Although this feature is supposedly possible, I can't see where one can turn it on or off.??
Old Thu 01 February 2007, 12:58
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

I don't know how to activate i, but the dipswitches allows you to enable it or disable it...
But what excactly does it do.. Does it turn the power off to the motor..???
Does the geckoes have this feature..???
Old Thu 01 February 2007, 18:22
Mike Richards
Just call me:

It appears to be a switch to turn on/off reduced current mode. The Gecko stepper drivers do this automatically. The Oriental Motors CSK motor/driver packages have a similar switch.

Except for very small motors running very light loads, you would want to reduce the current to the motor when the motor is stopped - otherwise you would produce enough heat to damage the stepper motor.
Old Thu 01 February 2007, 18:45
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Is it at all possible that the driver from motionking can do both of these procedures... Maybe the dipswitch is to be set to enable and then the driver will do it automatically afterwards.... Or you can disable the function allowing the motor to have current at all times as you say on the small motors...
Old Fri 02 February 2007, 03:43
Mike Richards
Just call me:

Kim,
Normally a 'current mode' switch allows the driver to automatically cut back current to the stepper after a fixed time of inactivity. You would not have to turn the switch on/off manually. If you were running a very small motor that didn't get hot (not very likely on a CNC machine), you could leave the current reduction switch off. If you were running size 34 motors with their high current draw, you would normally have current reduction turned on.

The enable input is probably an "all windings off" enable/disable input. Some controllers have that option so that you can turn all windings off and then turn the shaft of the motor by hand or turn all windings on to give control of the motor back to the electronics.
Old Mon 12 March 2007, 17:58
bugmenot dillbert
Just call me:

I was looking at the same drivers, however the table and manual says AC power input??? However the manual says "AC 40-60V AC supply not less than 200W. 50~60Hz shall not be connected directly into the circuit. The voltage will be reduced by transformer." I this just an awkward way of saying use an AC transformer to get the required voltage, do not connect it directly to the electrical net?

Any idea how this is going to perform compared to a powersupply with DC and capasitators? Also how critical are the mid band resonance adjustment and the microstep to fullstep at high speed morph of the geckodrives?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read