MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 21 February 2007, 04:18
fabrica
Just call me:

A dragon carving

This is a pic of a carving of a dragon which I did. This was done with a 3 mm ball nose.

This is a pic of a craving of a dragon which I did. This was done with a 3 mm ball nose.
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 04:35
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hey, are you the same guy that didn't know where to start 6 months ago?

Very impressive!

Lots of questions:
- Overall size?
- Total cutting time?
- Programs used?
- At the top edge of the wing (and the "teeth") appear to be "chatter" marks. Was this programmed in, or was it interference?
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 05:27
fabrica
Just call me:

Yes, gerald thanks to you guys I am progressing well in this field.

The overall size was 6"x4".
Total cutting time 20 minutes.
Programe used Artcam Pro and Mach 3.
The Chatter marks were in the original pic.
Cutting speed was around 3 IPS.
Router RPM 12,0000.
Wood Used Mahogany.
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 05:44
Gerald_D
Just call me:

After 6 years I am still amazed that a crude beast of a MechMate (or ShopBot), with no linear bearings, no ballscrews, can produce such fine work, even on a small scale.
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 09:16
fabrica
Just call me:

Gerald I know now you could walk around with your collars up. Mind you, you were a super Guru as well, although a bit harsh on certain occasions. Just pulling your leg mate.
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 10:14
Gerald_D
Just call me:

I really hope that "walking with collars up" has a different meaning in Sri Lanka to what it does here. Here it means you wear pink socks as well....
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 15:09
fabrica
Just call me:

God, Sorry I did not mean it. In this part of the World what it means is a "man who is proud of his achievements".
Old Wed 21 February 2007, 22:00
Gerald_D
Just call me:

No problems Fabrica, I knew what you intended when you said it.

International communication can get, um . . . , "interesting"
Old Thu 22 February 2007, 06:47
Ali Ahmad
Just call me:

Fabrica
Congratulations on your carving.Quite impressive.You must feel pretty good about now after just finishing your machine.My hats off to you.
Ali
Old Thu 22 February 2007, 06:54
Masroor Anwar
Just call me:

Fabrica & Gerald,
congratulation for both of you, Guru and Chaila ( student ), Gerald, thanks for sending message inviting me to share the achievements. congratulations once again. Gerald I am taking classes of CAD CAM at local college, and have acquired the services of a experiencesd electrical engineer will help me for electrical and electronic side once in a week, first want to finish my software side. I hope I will also hear a few words of appreciation from you soon. I think it is better for me to visit my forum regularly for acquaintance with new developments. thanks again Gerald
Old Thu 22 February 2007, 07:00
fabrica
Just call me:

Masroor, Happy to hear about your progress. Keep us posted of what goes on up their.
Old Fri 23 November 2007, 10:06
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi
I found these roman horses really well made .The pic does not show well all the details. If someone want to try 3d and like horses here is the link http://www.scantech.dk/3d-laser-scanners/downloads.html Gerald hope this is ok here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 int chevaux romain.jpg (46.4 KB, 4240 views)
Old Sun 06 July 2008, 06:26
normand blais

montreal
Canada
http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/...hp&count=count a link to the 3d files used in these model. The finishing done with a dremel on another blue somewhat flimsyer machine . The wood model is the 3d file flaten on the z axe. It is flatter. The model in urethane has the tower individualy flatten and squezed together to make a rounded look . It also been made taller and slighty rotated (leaning foward ) cloud added and lettering.

another link to some free 3d models
http://3delicious.net/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WORLD TOUR.jpg (38.1 KB, 3730 views)
File Type: jpg bois.JPG (35.3 KB, 3721 views)
File Type: jpg sculp.JPG (30.9 KB, 3718 views)
Old Sun 06 July 2008, 06:38
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Normand,

Very nice!

Thanks for the links. I can't wait to get my MM done.
Old Sun 06 July 2008, 08:08
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
"2008 MechMate CNC World Tour"....now that is a brilliant idea! Any sponsors?

Normand what CNC table are you using these days? If I remember correctly, you were selling your ShopBot?

I also notice that you have a new website at http://www.sculpteur.ca/ with some excellent examples of your work!
Old Sun 06 July 2008, 14:05
normand blais

montreal
Canada
Thank you guys
I still got my sb so I feel a bit out of place in mm forum . I was going to sell it ,but was able to renew lease here. But would like to build a mechmate for added acucacy and speed ,and also the added knoledge . Gerald to be clear here in Quebec we also have c clamp but they are capital C clamp model
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 08:42
normand blais

montreal
Canada
http://david-laserscanner.com/forum/...pic.php?p=3672
The link to explain how this was done . Thank to Mattia Mercante and McFarlane people and David laser scanner

Normand Blais
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1994.JPG (183.1 KB, 3610 views)
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 09:09
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Normand, Simply put « Beau travail et félicitation ». !
Robert
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 09:25
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Very nice work Normand.

Can you describe the cutting process? What kind of bits, and speeds were used. Also, what kindo of wood?
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 10:17
normand blais

montreal
Canada
Salut Robert
Tu sais j'ai pas grand mérite, c,est du tout cuit dans bouche,du bonbon. J'ai hate de pouvoir faire de belles chose comme cela , c'est long à apprendre ces logitiels la à temps partiel.Dis toi que tu pourra faire pareil avec ton MM. À quand le grand départ dans l'aventure ,Je vois que tu as beaucoup de software ça te donne une bonne longeur d'avance ,aller plonge, l'eau est bonne tu ne voudra plus ressortir,pis tu vas te demander pourquoi tu ne l'a pas fais avant.Bonne chance

Hi Greg I will answer you but the real nugget is the link. It is western red cedar the rough pass 85%stepover 1/4 in stepdown with a 1/2 cutter
Finishing with a taper 1/4 to 1/8 on 1 1/2 fl cutter raster 25% of cutter size ,all at 2ips. To be honest I am not to happy with it I find it to shallow for the the wood that I started with . I think this file is like 75meg big .I work in rhino and it is not really made to work with mesh ,it was like talking to another planet type a command ,surf the internet on the other computer ,get response type more command surf the other computer.... on and on ,crash sometime reload restart , this would best be done in zbrush or another mesh software ,and then import to the cam software.
I put it on the wall my girl friend like it ,(will inspire her when she does her exercises to keep in shape. amour si tu li ça j'taime comme té)
Normand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1967.JPG (165.8 KB, 3585 views)
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 10:19
normand blais

montreal
Canada
finishing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.JPG (186.5 KB, 3560 views)
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 10:21
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thank You Normand.

Your description helps allot. I will go thru the link again.
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 11:21
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Normand ",(will inspire her when she does her exercises to keep in shape. amour si tu li ça j'taime comme té)"

I'm looking at this beautiful work and thinking ..... with the sword and the knives .... this should inspire him to keep his mouth closed if she decides not to do exercises and keep in shape.
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 15:18
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Ahhhh, amour si tu li ça j'taime comme té !!!!
That is a man speaking the language of seduction to his behalf when he fells he may be slipping in a danger zone

Normand, mais tu sait trop bien comment je veux bien y plongé…juste une question de temps, dipo (métier en demande beaucoup) et $$$$... Check bin, sra pas trop long mec
A+, Robert
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 15:47
normand blais

montreal
Canada
Ok she is as beautifull as that. Knife ,sword Now I got to change my password
Old Sun 10 August 2008, 22:53
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice work Normand..this is the type of stuff I LIKE.. 2D does not turn me on...in 3D things are so much better to look at...and feel....

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read