MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 29 March 2014, 17:35
malikminus
Just call me: malik

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
Hello From San luis obispo, CA

Hi everyone,

It has been my utmost desire to build a commercial level Cnc router but life never allowed me, for the first time I am ready to get on this project blazing. I am an Electrical Engineer but almost have no experience with iron or woodworking. But I am willing to get my hands dirty. I had a couple of questions for your guys,
1) What is the total cost for making a MechMate.
2) Can everything be made from your home garage or would you need to get parts made?

Thanks in advance everybody,
Malik

P.S. my dream is to get congratulated by you guys after making one of these.
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 07:14
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Total cost depends on how you build it.
Size, toolhead, motors, all factor into the cost, just like when buying a car, options add up.
Having said that, I think most are in the 4.5-6k range, although I'm seeing slightly higher prices for parts for my second one.
Any parts that must be fabbed needing more than a home shop equipment list are available from suppliers or vendors.
Most take from 6 months to a year of part time work to complete.
Spending a few hours (or days) looking around the forum will be time well spent.

Good Luck!!
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 14:38
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome aboard!!,
Old Sun 30 March 2014, 21:16
malikminus

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
Thanks guys for the info, i am going to ask this question and if it has been answered before somewhere in these forums please refer me to that place. But can you guys break down the price, like materials, electronics? And other stuff?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 03:37
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Malik, Its the same answer, really depends on your build choices, whats's available locally, shop smart (watch your shipping cost), and how much you can get for free (usually steel and stuff).

I suggest start making plans based on how and why you are going to use your MM, take each element of your build and compare combinations of those choices and ask questions (if you can't find on the forum) for those things you don't understand. Price always influences your choices. Plan your purchases, buy as much as you can in groups (to save on shipping and help you build more at one time), build. I suggest starting with whatever you are most comfortable with. Happy Building!
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 04:54
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Malik,
No matter how many times or ways you ask, we will keep asking you to read the forum...

For a start, you can read all the sticky threads in every categories, after which you will be able to ask more specific questions which we can address in detail.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 12:47
malikminus

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
I totally understand the concept of shopping smart but my problem is planning this build because I have to plan it through my finances, I don't want to know the exact prices but maybe percentage wise.

Lets suppose if I was planning to build a gaming computer, I know that the processor and the memory is the most expensive but rather easy to install, so i can leave it to the end.

To my understanding if I could make a list to breakdown this build

Structure (I %)
1) Raw Materials (Iron, Aluminum, and Wood ) includes table and Y-car. (A %)
2) Accessories like screws, nuts, bolts. (B%)

Electronics (II%)
1) Stepper Motors. (A%)
2) Power Supply. (B%)
3) Control Box. (C%)
4) Cables and other accessories. (D%)

Thanks guys, i promise this is my last question (For Planning I meant) haha.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 12:51
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I gave you a rough cost range. I think that's the best you can ask for.
If you need more than that for your unique situation, read the threads, develop a parts list on your own and price it out.
Then you will not only know your parts percentages, you'll also have a material list and a basic understanding of assembly as well.
The Forum helps those who help themselves.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 12:54
malikminus

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
Thanks darren, i think that is the best way to go about it.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 13:27
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
You will have a better understanding as a result. Trust me, we've ALL been there
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 13:45
malikminus

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
You wouldn't believe me but I have been on this forum for the past weeks and just going through everything whenever I have time, it's an addiction now.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 13:56
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
You are correct. I don't believe you. You joined two days ago and can't view threads unless you are a member.
Strike two...
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 14:02
malikminus

San Luis Obispo (CA)
United States of America
I should have said week.
Old Mon 31 March 2014, 14:12
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Good luck with your build, sir.

Edit: You have gotten off to a very rocky start...
Some suggested reading:

"How to ask questions the smart way"
http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108

Last edited by darren salyer; Mon 31 March 2014 at 14:17..
Old Tue 01 April 2014, 19:26
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
As far as a BOM, there is one in the archives. It is aged though. As far as price. Depends on your resources. Figure on $7000 if you have nothing available and you are buying all new. You may go over that but most likely it will be under. It all depends the route of your build. The best I can tell you is to work up a spreadsheet with an itemized list and price everything out at MSRP and not sale price. This will give you a happy number.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read