MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 September 2015, 12:27
MetaTek
Just call me: JB

San Francisco
United States of America
Hi all - new builder here

Hi All,

New to start my CNC building journey. Been using a smaller zenbot 12x16" for the last few years and have much bigger plans and intentions in mind.

Aiming to likely make my bed 3'x6'

Looks like belt driven 4:1 with linear rails is the precision route to take. If anyone has more tidbits of "you definitely want to look into...." I would be so grateful to hear it.

Primarily looking to do highly detailed "art furniture" so precision is key.

Cheers all!

-JB
Old Tue 01 September 2015, 20:52
sierra347
Just call me: Armando #110

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Hello, and welcome.
Old Wed 02 September 2015, 20:09
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Linear rails covers a broad area. Profiled, round, supported, V,...the list goes on. Up and downs to all and different preventive maintenance needed for each. Belt reduction is the best of the cost minded people. There are better options but it depends on your budget. The base design is a solid one to build off of. I hope to see you in the construction section soon.
Old Wed 02 September 2015, 20:34
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Don't get hung up on feeling your needs are of a higher accuracy than a normal build can provide. My machine is a standard build with belt drives, and I can do this when necessary...

Those saucers on the table are about .2" diameter at best. The figure is about 1 1/2" tall...
That is cherry, direct off the machine, before any sanding was done.
Good luck with your build, we're here when you need us.
EDIT: when I posted this pic on FB, the face recognition software picked up on 4 faces in the carving and asked for a tag....

Last edited by darren salyer; Wed 02 September 2015 at 20:38..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read