MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Cutting various materials - bit selection, feeds, speeds
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 09 June 2017, 13:25
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
B15 Marine Fire Resistant Material

Hi. Has anyone cut any B15 fire resistant material on their machines. Just looking for some help on feeds and speeds

Http://www.dutchmarinepanels.com/pan...ertec-b15.html

Was going to use a 12mm dia 2 flute compression spiral at 18000rpm 1 hit through 18mm thick at 6000mm per minute. Just concerned that this light weight material will bog the cutter down.

The material arrives from the supplier next week and I have not got any test part to cut yet.

Cheers Andrew
Old Sat 10 June 2017, 14:16
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
RPM is way too high for 6m/min, unless you need the speed to make up for a lack of spindle power.
I think the bigger problem you'll have is that the glass fibers will destroy a compression bit rather quickly.
Old Sun 11 June 2017, 02:31
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Yes I'm concerned about the fibre glass. Will try one of those leitz 1/2" PCD compression spirals and see what happens.. the PCD should last.. but as the core is so soft will drop the rpm down and cut a sample .
Old Fri 16 June 2017, 13:24
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I heard people using diamond tipped cutters for glass fibre and carbon fibre materials infused materials to get some sort of meters out of a bit. Anything else would burn out quickly, but not first hand experience, just from stories I've heard. And you might at least want to spray some water on top when cutting, airborne glass fibre particles ain't funny for the human body !
Old Sat 17 June 2017, 08:06
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
I cut some fiber reinforced plastic laminate yesterday with a diamond compression bit, and got pretty good results, even though the bit was a little dull.
I sacrificed a carbide downcut bit for my roughing passes, to maximize the life of the diamond bit. I left about 0.75mm for the finish pass with the diamond bit.
Old Fri 23 June 2017, 04:38
David Bryant
Just call me: David #99

Western Australia
Australia
I was cutting fiberglass foam fiberglass / epoxy panels (80kg/m3 foam) with straight carbide router bits. This left the chipped foam and glass in the cut eliminating the need for tabs and lots of hold downs. premarked where hold down screws went. vacuumed after cutting as the swarf made me very itchy.
David

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read