MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 17 January 2017, 13:20
st_indigo
Just call me: Philip.X.Diaz #123

Los Angeles, CA
United States of America
My awesome acrylic dust shoe design

Hey all. I finally got around to designing a proper dust shoe for Mechmate #123 and after using it a few weeks I can confirm that it is a solid design. I love it when a plan comes together.

Photo of it installed:

...and this is what the parts look like:

Brush strip was ordered from McMaster Carr. A 3 ft length is the perfect amount for this dust shoe.

Notes:

- Acrylic was used for visibility; Thickness isn't critical but use at least 0.25" thick material for stability; I used 0.33" acrylic that I had leftover from another job

- The upper portion is attached to the Z-slide via a 2" piece of aluminum angle

- The lower portion is attached to the top via 6X 10mm neodymium magnets epoxied into the milled recesses; Double check your polarity before you glue those magnets in!

- There is also a semi-circular front to the lower shoe that I haven't attached yet; I am going to use short pieces of brass rod epoxied into the semi-circle with matching holes drilled into the lower shoe so it is removable

- Brush strip was attached with self-tapping screws; pre-drill your holes so you don't crack the acrylic

- Dust hose fitting is secured with a drilled hole and a #8 machine screw (visible in the first photo at the bottom of the dust hose)

- Make sure you reset your max Z+ limit so your shoe doesn't get ripped off if you jog your Z too high

Questions? Hit me up. Vector PDF is included so you can make your own.

Rock on, Mechmates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pxd_dust_shoe.pdf (63.2 KB, 111 views)
Old Wed 18 January 2017, 07:30
Kornerking
Just call me: Pete #127

Big Falls, Mn
United States of America
Kool. I just came in to look for plan for a dust shoe and here it is.

Perfect timing.
Thanks
Old Mon 10 April 2017, 20:24
firechief
Just call me: Tim

Battle Creek
United States of America
How does the z go to home? the shoe will hit the v wheels
Old Sun 16 April 2017, 19:07
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
you can set the z home in mach 3 and also set the safe z parking position.
Old Thu 27 April 2017, 22:03
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
I use Kents Dust shoe on my machine now. I really like this design with the ability to see the bit. With a spindle not an air blowing porter cable.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read