MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 28 April 2015, 02:59
steven29
Just call me: steven

jakarta
Indonesia
Stepper motor & Driver from Oriental motor

HEllo MechMate Expert. Is anyone use a stepper motor & driver both from Oriental Motor ? are they hard to setup ? compare a Gecko or Leadshine .
Old Tue 28 April 2015, 10:04
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Other than the sticker on the motor, I can not tell the difference
Old Wed 29 April 2015, 04:07
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I agree with Ken. Leadshine has been a good source for many folks. You will find the price point on the OM a bit higher, but they are also good motors.
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 05:59
steven29

jakarta
Indonesia
is that hard to setup? since that isn't for hobby. what is the recomended one? there's tons of brand out there. i'm new for this cnc stuff. hope my master Ken & Metalhead have a recomended one for my plasma cnc project.
Old Mon 04 May 2015, 21:18
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
No master here. Just one who don't care much about branding.
As I said, a part from the sticker, they are identical in my eye, so, they are no difference in setting up.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 04:36
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I agree with Ken. Leadshine is a good brand. Save here and use your money on a high quality plasma cutter or some other key component.
Old Tue 05 May 2015, 07:08
steven29

jakarta
Indonesia
Thanks MetalHead that is what im browsing right now. I found some of type which have protection features on the driver and high torque motor. Which one is good bipolar parallel or series or unipolar? Im looking some of machine you have made.but dont find yet. Just to get some idea.
Old Wed 06 May 2015, 20:01
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Keep reading.
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 03:28
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
What Ken means is that that common info/answer and almost everything else is (hidden) in the forums. Or google the terms and read about it. It seems harsh, and the learning curve is steep, but it works.

The reason why he says that is that Gerald ( the starter of the forum) and it's (hardcore/long time) users are all advocate of mastering theory yourself, so you can use it to apply in practice and while making your decisions.

I use bipolar parallel myself, but believe most on the forum don't, the decision/motivation is up to yourself after your read about the pros and cons;-)
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 09:09
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hardcore? Aw, Fox, we're all just a bunch of fuzzy bunnies.

(Fox is right, except for the part where he refuses to acknowledge that bipolar half-coil is absolutely, positively, unquestionably, irrefutably the only correct way to wire motors, so clearly his machine doesn't work the way he thinks it does )
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 16:12
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Amen. Half truth it is, my friend

SURE... if you want to you can be a hardcore bunny .. Now that's something of a conversation starter to remind for the weekend...

Back on topic, shall we
Old Thu 07 May 2015, 23:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Not fuzzy, hardcore nor hard headed bunny, Just another lazy bunny who don't believe everthing I read.

The true fact is I really don't know how to answer "which is easier" or "which is better". Everthing is hard when I don't know them. and Everthing is good/bad when I have nothing to compare them to.

I don't use unipolar because the drivers I have are all bipolor. I used both bipolar half-coil and bipolar parallel. Both didn't fail me. I really don't know which is better because I do not have the right instrument (and most importantly the interest) to do an apple to apple test.

On Bipolar vs unipolar both has their own strength and weakness. Its very subjective argument and I'm not prepared to discuss unless we have a clear and specific objective. i.e. the applications, Even in Plasma CNC, cutting thick and thin requires very different criterials .....

On brand recommendation? I'll never recommend any motor based on brand because IMHO brand is very low in my priority list. Even color rank higher than brand.... 

Fixed the font
Old Fri 08 May 2015, 00:14
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
You need to check your keyboard Ken .... unless it's on purpose.
Old Sat 09 May 2015, 05:26
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ken - I fixed that font - wow that was screwy - just had to retype the whole post to fix it!!!
Old Sun 10 May 2015, 00:57
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Sorry for your trouble. I didn't know what happened, it went away as soon as it happened...
Old Fri 15 May 2015, 11:33
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I like Oriental Motor because I've used over 100 of their motors with no motor failures and only one driver failure. I've also tested Leadshine and found that motor to be just as smooth, just as powerful and just as fast.

Oriental Motor sells packaged sets of motors and drivers. The lowest cost is the CSK stepper/drivers sets. You can get the 34-frame size motors, but the set will cost more than buying the motor and using a G203v as the driver. You'll get much faster speeds with the G203v and 10X better resolution because the Geckos have 2,000 steps per revolution compared with 200 steps per revolution for the CSD2145T driver. They also sell the RBK series ( RBK296AA). That series can use power supplies up to 75VDC. I believe that Shopbot supplies all of their non-Alpha machines with either the PBK296AA or the RBK299AA motor/driver. I've never used the RBK series, but they look very good if the price is not too high for you (about $50 - $100 more than an equal motor from OM or Leadshine and a Gecko driver). At the high end, they have the Alpha series AR9xx series. Shopbot's Alpha machines use the AR98AAT7.2-3 (I think). Those motor/drivers retail for about $850 each, but they have a 7.2:1 gearbox attached. Forget about the "closed loop" advertising hype for the Alpha series. Without a controller that synchronizes all of your motors, the "alpha" will most likely leave a divot if it momentarily stalls and then recovers. That type of controller would cost thousands of dollars - if you could even find one.

I used the AR911AA-3 motors on my Alpha. There was excessive 'chatter', so I built a 3:1 belt-drive transmission. The 'chatter' was almost entirely eliminated. Shopbot offered an excellent deal on an upgrade to the AR98AAT7.2-3 motors, so I switched. They performed almost identically to the AR911 motors with belt-drives.

I would recommend an 8-lead motor that puts out about 350 oz*in of holding torque, a 4:1 belt-drive transmission and a Gecko stepper driver. The G203v is excellent, but the G201x is identical as long as you don't mess up the wiring. (The G203v has extra protection against wiring errors.) If your motor draws 3.5A or less and if it has inductance of 2.5mH or less, you can use the G540, the G250x or the G251x. I just received some G251x drivers yesterday. They performed flawlessly with all of my motors that I tested previously with the G540. The G251x costs $58 less than a G203v and gave identical performance ON MOTORS THAT DON'T NEED MORE THAN 50V OR DRAW MORE THAN 3.5A. The G540 is a prepackaged 4-driver unit with limited input/output. It is designed to connect directly to your computer's parallel port. If your needs don't exceed the I/O of the G540, and your motors don't require more than 50V or draw more than 3.5A, then the G540 is very good. I've tested a unit extensively and it worked flawlessly.

Last edited by Richards; Fri 15 May 2015 at 11:37..
Old Sat 16 May 2015, 00:06
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
can't afford oriental motors.
Old Sun 17 May 2015, 11:20
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Ken,

It looks like you're in Malaysia. I don't know what Oriental Motor motors cost over there. Here in America, the 34-frame size, 350-450 oz*in motors cost $135 each, postage paid by Oriental Motor. The larger 600-800 oz*in motors cost $210 each. Many other motors are available at various prices. The motors and the drivers are basically the heart of a CNC machine. No matter how good the gantry, the spindle, and the alignment, it is still the motors and drivers than make everything work. Oriental Motor has an excellent track record. Other companies may also have an excellent track record. Of the thirty-five stepper motors that I have on my shelf, all but three are Oriental Motor. Twenty of them are the smaller PK268-02AA motors taken from discarded Kodak-S Printers that were decommissioned. Four of them are an old PH-299 series that I bought before I knew enough about motors to know that they were the wrong type for any of my applications. (We all have to learn some lessons the hard way.) One of them was to experiment with a shutter operator. The five rotary solenoids that I used in the electronic package developed to modernize Kodak-S printers cost $250 each. Their action slowed down when they got hot, making them a primary cause of inconsistency when printing photographs. The little 17-size stepper cost $40, was 100% repeatable and it generated less heat; however, the market changed to digital photography before I had designed that process controller.

I tested a Leadshine motor. It passed all the tests flawlessly. I also tested several other brands of motors that performed poorly. Most of those were motors sent to me by people who found a bargain on the Internet. I'm sure that there are bargains out there, but those who buy should verify that the motors they buy have low inductance (6mA or less) and that they draw no more than 7A (unless the stepper driver can handle higher voltages than 80VDC and can provide more than 7A).

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read