MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 24 July 2012, 12:18
sierra347
Just call me: Armando #110

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Suddenly, production! Cutting, Labels and Blue! #110 - Montgomery, IL

Hello,

My name is Armando and live in Montgomery a Chicago suburb. I have been collecting parts for a year or so and am ready to start putting toguether the table. I am looking to do a 5x9 size table it will have to be a bolt on since it will go in my basement. I've sourced most of the steel from craigslist to save money, the only problem with that is that finding the right size and thinckness was rather difficult, I have most of the electronic components also but started with the table first since it seemed the most daunting. I might have a question or two on the electronics but for the most part I've found the answer to almost all my questions within the threads.

Have done most of the steel cuts with the grinder and a hand held metal bandsaw. Most of the drilling has been done with a electric hand drill. I guess you could say that I have more time than money.

I plan to use the MM to make custom cabinets for the Kitchen, laundry room, garage and my basement workshop.

I'm hoping to finish in 2 or 3 months.

Pictures to follow

Armando,
Old Tue 24 July 2012, 12:39
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Sounds like you have the correct solution with the MM and desire to make a great addition to your tool compliment in the wood shed. Welcome!
Old Tue 24 July 2012, 12:44
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome Armando.
Old Tue 24 July 2012, 12:52
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !!! Looking for some pics now !!!
Old Sat 08 June 2013, 23:31
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Hello everyone

Time sure fly's fast when you are building a mechmate. My deadline of three months went out the window rather quickly. I've finally gotten around to collecting and resizing some pictures.

I ended up going with an I beam for the x rails since I was not able to find cheap c channels of the right size. The legs out of 0.25" 4"x4" and 2"x2". For the rest I used of C channel I scored for cheap from an auction, I intended to use them for the xrails by stacking them on top of each other but were only 8 feet long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (31.3 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (29.1 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 12.jpg (26.3 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 11.jpg (31.4 KB, 762 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 14.jpg (30.3 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 17.jpg (25.1 KB, 761 views)
Old Sun 09 June 2013, 00:15
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
I ended up making a ton of mistakes, I fixed some and others I just left and worked around. One was the gantry orientation, I ended leaving it since I had already drilled and installed the y cable chain support. After months of back aches and mistakes I was able to get the gantry rolling smoothly which I eagerly showed my wife, she asked if this meant I was ready to start making her built ins and cabinets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (27.9 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (28.2 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (30.0 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (31.5 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (30.5 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (34.2 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (26.7 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (31.8 KB, 762 views)
Old Sun 09 June 2013, 01:05
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
I ended up doing most of the drilling with a Milwaukee hand drill, if I had to do it all over gain I would buy a drill press in a heart beat. Even though building this mechmate was such a brilliant idea that makes sense in so so many levels my wife thought otherwise, I had to sell some of my festool woodworking tools and a few of my guns to finish buying everything I needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (36.3 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (26.1 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (29.4 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (29.5 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg pic 6.jpg (38.0 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 16.jpg (26.7 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 15.jpg (31.0 KB, 771 views)
Old Sun 09 June 2013, 09:01
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
That's looking good so far, welcome to the addiction.
I've been using cnc's for 20 years and everything I see I think umm! I could cnc one of those, and shortly looking at your build , so will you, good luck
Regards
Andrew
Old Sun 09 June 2013, 09:20
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
I know the feeling, my phone is loaded with pictures of things I've seen in stores that I'm pretty sure I could make better and cheaper.
Old Wed 26 June 2013, 20:02
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
I ended up going with just the basics for the machine since I have way too many projects that can't wait any longer. The 1.5kw Air cooled spindle I got was definitely a must since the machine is in the basement.

Just finished cutting some small wings and tails for toy jet kits a friend is putting together for church camp, small parts are a challenge for sure. I also cut round window casings for a friend. I have also done small projects for my job that would be difficult doing by hand and have charged some nice overtime for it.

The cut quality and precision is beyond anything I would be able to accomplish with my woodworking tools. I finally don't have to mess around with trying to cut a full sheets of plywood on my table saw, just throw it on the table and push the start button.

I am half way in to cutting some closets and simple pantries for my sister and dust collection is now the highest priority upgrade. I had been cutting just small hardwood boards so dust was not a big problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.jpg (119.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0232.jpg (129.4 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.jpg (119.1 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (100.0 KB, 673 views)
Old Wed 26 June 2013, 20:22
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
This machine works great, makes projects so much easier specially cutting sheet goods. I purchased cabinets parts pro and it works great for the closets I am making. My wife is already putting together ideas for the kitchen of her dreams. I also went with VcarvPro since it was the only I could afford at the time. I will try to remember to take better pictures of the projects I make since looking at other peoples projects was what kept me going.

This decoration the wife saw at a store and I gave it a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (107.1 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0282.jpg (54.9 KB, 675 views)
Old Wed 26 June 2013, 23:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Armando, you have put a big smile on my face. I absolutely love it when a basic machine starts producing heaps of funny shaped boards! Well done!
Old Thu 27 June 2013, 07:23
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Thanks Gerald,

Was made possible thanks to the Mechmates great design and plans and the support from this website.

For about six months when I was collecting parts I tried to drumup support and some cash by telling friends and family about my plans to build a large robot machine that would work tirelessly day and night cutting a kinds of closets, cabinets toys etc.... explained that it designed by a genious named Gerald in South Africa. Not sure what they imagined, but needless to say I only got 300 bucks from my sister who is now getting custom closets and pantries.
Old Thu 27 June 2013, 16:42
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Looks great !!! Got some logo's to put on it? You bout ready for a Serial Number !!!
Old Fri 28 June 2013, 20:05
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Mike

I know you sent me some with the kits I got I just have to find them. I'll be doing some cleaning this weekend and am sure they'll turn up.
Old Fri 28 June 2013, 20:40
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Armando, great job.
Old Wed 03 July 2013, 16:55
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Nice work there keep it up
Old Sat 14 September 2013, 10:39
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Work has me quite busy but I've still managed to do some work on the Mechmate. I tried cutting aluminum for the fist time and after trial and error I was able to cut 5/8 plate to a make small jig for work. I think I will be machining a spindle holder in the next few weeks to upgrade my current cheap clamps.

My transmissions kept coming loose on the big pulley even after I tried locktite. I ended up using some roll pins on them and its cutting great so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALUMINUM.jpg (39.0 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Squares.jpg (22.1 KB, 321 views)
Old Sat 14 September 2013, 10:59
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
I ran through about 10 sheets of white melamine and finished some simple pantries for a relative. With a new upcut bit I was getting clean chip free cuts but eventually chips showed up on the long cuts on the top of the sheet it wasn't too bad though.

I also cut a few hundred wedding favors for a hollywood theme wedding. Movie clapper boards and little hollywood star plaques on black melamine. I vcarved the letters and star outline, had a hard time screwing the full sheet down to lay completely flat so as to not affect the depth of the letters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Table.jpg (30.5 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg Star Pic.jpg (25.8 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Star Cut.jpg (41.4 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Small Closet.jpg (17.6 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Closet.jpg (23.6 KB, 320 views)
Old Sun 15 September 2013, 05:13
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
well I see you found your logos ! Lets get you a sn !!! congrats!
Old Sun 15 September 2013, 15:40
sierra347

Montgomery, IL
United States of America
Thanks Mike,

I couldn't of done it without the help this site and its very generous and helpful members

Build time was about 13 months and it has a 5'x9' cut area.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 17:59
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

Armando,

Congratulations on completing you build and earning Serial #110.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log with your entry added.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read