MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 October 2010, 05:53
hutchcj
Just call me: Colin

Sydney
Australia
Motion King 34HS6803-G5 and G10 cheap gearboxed steppers

My mate has been looking into the motor side of things for our MechMate builds. Has has emailed Motion King and they have got back to him with a couple of geared motors that are fairly close to the OM 7.2

Basically Motion King have fitted a 5:1 or a 10:1 gearbox to their 34HS6803 motors. The quoted prices are USD$115 and USD$130 respectively.

Has anyone seen or used these motors? What are your opinions on the MK gearboxes? How do they compare to the OM 7.2?

Any other info would be much appreciated.

Does anyone have a suggestion to what the "dia 15h7" means?
Attached Images
File Type: gif MotionKing_gear.gif (27.8 KB, 439 views)

Last edited by hutchcj; Mon 11 October 2010 at 05:57..
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 06:24
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Colin,

Have a look at some threads in this forum, a few guys are running with these MotionKing motors.
I personally can’t say about them WITH gearbox as I will eventually make my own trany ( when time permits), but I can tell you as one who is running these motors direct drive (and to the best of my knowledge & reading, all other will support this too) these motors are runing fine & are fine built. All worth going with them.
Best of luck with your build and my advice is not to worry about MotionKing
Amicalement, Robert
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 06:29
hutchcj
Just call me: Colin

Sydney
Australia
Thanks for that Robert.

I've had a look on the forum and searched for 34HS6308 and only come up with two thread that were both looking at direct drive. I wasn't really doubting the qualtity of the MK motors as I've read some good MM reviews on them. I am quite interested though in the their gearboxes.

Does anyone have a figure on backlash? How does this compare with the OM?
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 07:29
Seajet
Just call me: CNC

Sydney
Australia
Colin, d15h7 => 15mm dia shaft with 7mm hollow. Have read other motor manufactures offer 'blind' or 'through' hollows, these either come threaded or maybe threaded to offer alternate shaft-pinion securing methods.

The MK -803 G5 or G10 comes standard with key way and key (from their drawing).

Have contacted MK and requested gear backlash and MTBF data - will post when received.
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 09:07
ecki
Just call me: ecki

gabs
Botswana
International Tolerance grades - h7 shaft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolerance_(engineering)

greetings
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 18:03
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Hi Colin

I'm using the ungeared version, when I purchased miy motors I discussed the geared motors with them also, however when I asked for details such as how much backlash was in the gearbox and some details on constructions they could not provide the information and for that reason I went ungeared. Interestingly at the time they quoted me only $5 more fot he geared than the ungeared motors, if I hadn't been on such a tight budget at the time I would have bought a set of both just to see how they went, anyway the lingering question I'd want answered is what kind of backlash can be expected in the gearbox as you have pointed out.

Jed
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 23:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchcj View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion to what the "dia 15h7" means?
Ecki has it right - it is the international way of indicating the size tolerance.

15 is the basic shaft diameter
h7 would indicate that the shaft is between 14.982 and 15.000mm (it is allowed to be 18micron undersize, but not allowed to be oversize).

For reference:
http://www.misumiusa.com/CategoryIma...C1835-1836.pdf

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read