MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 19 December 2011, 12:27
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
I thought I would give some feedback on the V rollers made from Ertalyte.
The machine has now been running for almost a year as a plasma cutter. It has been used a lot. I did fit a water pan underneath so the dust is limited. The wheels are still just as good as the day they were made. The stuff is amazing.

I am busy with a new machine, even bigger than the first and I will definitely fit Ertalyte rollers again.

This time I am going to try Red Loctite (Stud Grade) to hold the bearings.
Old Mon 19 December 2011, 17:33
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
You might want to check with Loctite as to the application, they have tech sheets for most products. I know of a few cases where Loctite ( Blue 242 in this case...) caused failure in assemblies with plastic components that were chemically compromised. I am sure they can recommend a urethane or epoxy that will work.
Thanks for your updates on this option, I plan to try this when I (eventually) build.
Old Mon 19 December 2011, 21:36
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
John,
I actually changed my mind about the Loctite and designed a V roller with a 2mm rib in the middle. Now the bearings are held in place by the bolt and washers. As my new machine will have a slight adjustment in the Y axis of the gantry, the slightly thicker wheel will not matter. I have a feeling the thicker wheel will fit into the standard Mechmate design.
Old Tue 20 December 2011, 02:07
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
You don't need to machine a ridge in the middle as it needs both side machining, just make a hole and then add a recess for a retainer ring

Old Tue 20 December 2011, 08:06
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
loctite 648

I used loctite 648 "bevestiging met hoge sterkte" this means mounting with high strength. I mounted my bearings and gears with this. I made a mistake with my gear on the axis from my motor reduction and had to remove the gear.
I try to do this 12 hours after I mounted. I had to heat the gear and used a 2 ton press, an extension piece on the arm of the press and and I had to clamp the press to the table with some glue clamps. Finally I could remove the gear from the axis. but I could still feel my arm muscles next day. I didn't expect that it was that strong. and yes I have office job......
somebody used pertinax for guide wheels?
Old Tue 20 December 2011, 08:14
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilom View Post
You don't need to machine a ridge in the middle as it needs both side machining, just make a hole and then add a recess for a retainer ring
My previous set was made just like that. I want to simplify. I have to turn the unit over to machine anyway.
Old Wed 21 December 2011, 07:45
digit
Just call me: Dominic

Quebec
Canada
Take a look at MakerSlide project. It is an "open source" mechanical project. They make an aluminum extruded with integrated v-rail. Carriage move on v-roller / eccentric cam spacers / roller bearing. I'm wondering where the designer got the idea

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...bearing-system
http://www.makerslide.com/

BTW it could be an excellent source for Derin vroller and eccentric cam spacers.

Last edited by digit; Wed 21 December 2011 at 08:03..
Old Wed 21 December 2011, 14:16
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
They say that the biggest compliment you can pay someone is to copy their design.

The idea looks good but I have to say that I believe that those kind of bolt together assemblies are not good enough for serious production machines. My experience is that if you want a clean and accurate cut the machine must be very stable. No rattles and vibrations. The heavier the workings are the more stable.
Old Wed 21 December 2011, 14:35
digit
Just call me: Dominic

Quebec
Canada
That target DIYer and small lightweight slide, not heavy duty medium power CNC machine. Some have use it as a camera slide JIG for example.

found a "MakerSlide Store"

$1 Double Bearing Delrin V Wheel
$2 Eccentric Spacer

unfortunately they are almost half the size required (5mm x 16mm x 5mm bearing)

http://store.makerslide.com/index.ph...jiltne355s1tv7

Last edited by digit; Wed 21 December 2011 at 14:53.. Reason: Correct URL
Old Sat 30 June 2012, 11:22
Mr Ron
Just call me: Mr Ron

Vancleave, Ms
United States of America
I can see the advantage of plastic wheels, especially when used with aluminum rails. The plastic used doesn't have to have low friction properties. Very low friction might cause the plastic to slide rather than roll. Plastic would mean less wear on an aluminum rail, but on a steel rail, wear to the plastic could occur. Plastic is easy to machine, a +.
Old Sat 30 June 2012, 14:06
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Mr Ron,
My machine has been going for more than 4 years now and still no wear to the Ertalyte wheels. If you use the right plastic it will not wear on a steel rail and with bearings mounted inside it is impossible to stick.

The machine was converted to a plasma cutter about two years ago. It cuts every day and the rails are not cleaned on a regular basis. One would expect these conditions to worsen the case but, not so.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read