MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 23 February 2008, 11:19
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
. . . . the first grinder started emitting puffs of smoke (it was a cheap Ryobi I had on hand) so hauled out some cash, bought a Bosch grinder and modified my jig plates to accept this grinder. What a difference! more power, less vibration and almost lash free gear head. . . .
Old Thu 08 May 2008, 13:22
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...and that extra 1.1amps makes a HUGE difference when grinding the profile. I burned up the 402 model in one rail....the 452 model is still going strong on my workbench.
Old Sun 11 May 2008, 18:20
dmoore
Just call me:

The Ryobi AG452 died in a hail of smoke. I may have been pushing it a bit hard but it was still a little under powered for the job. I replaced it with a Milwaukee 6148.
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 23:07
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
. . . . a brand new 850 watt Einhell grinder. At first I notice a lot more power than my old 500watt Bosch that I used on my Y-Rails. But after about 40 minutes...poof...smoke...no more grinder. Just shows, some things are tougher in life than others. The Bosch is about 10 years old, did a lot of hard work, but is still going.
Old Tue 11 November 2008, 22:26
kn6398
Just call me: Kray

Fort Worth
United States of America
. . . . I burned the Chicago cheap grinder and had to buy higher amper grinder. . .
Old Sat 29 November 2008, 09:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A little graveyard of grinders assembled above. Did I miss anyone?
Old Sat 29 November 2008, 09:40
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Technically, I didn't burn out my cheap Chicago grinder on the rails, although it did die later during paint prep. When I went from the Chicago up to the Milwaukee 6148, my working rate on the rails went up by about 3X.
Old Sat 29 November 2008, 10:17
vishnu
Just call me: vishnu

Coimbatore(TN)
India
OOps i have burnt my cheap chinese grinder even before i started cutting. Planning to borrow and get my job done. For continious jobs say no to Chinese items poor quality. Hope how our friends in USA are dependant on China for everything. Let's not go there
Vishnu
Old Sat 29 November 2008, 10:54
YRD
Just call me: Yuri #17

Brasilia - DF
Brazil
I own a Chinese and an Makita.

I think the Chinese warms faster, so a smaller production process.

If you expect cool and respect the ability of equipment, no problem
Old Sat 29 November 2008, 11:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
This thread is to record the grinders burnt while building a MM. The thread is in the Rails & Rollers topic. The idea is for newbies to make wise choices when getting a grinder for doing the rails. It is NOT meant for a general discussion of the quality produced by a particular country.
Old Fri 21 January 2011, 18:39
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
My DeWalt was new when I started the build. After the rails its bearings are sounding really harsh (and it didn't fit exactly into the skate). I was careful to do a few passes and then let the grinder cool, and I think this saved its life. No magic blue smoke yet, but I feel it's on its last legs. Maybe a bearing change will renew it. There's a bit of grinding and cutting yet to be done (including the z-axis).
Old Sat 22 January 2011, 05:04
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Red, I know all to well what you're refering to, look at my story
Old Sat 22 January 2011, 12:31
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Red,
Went thru two grinders on mine....I was a little impatient on #5...took my time on the second two machines and have had no other burn outs.

Repack the grease in the grinder head. There are two little 90 degree crown gears in the bath of grease that seem to "blow up".....(it's not a pretty site).....and replace the brushes.
Old Sun 06 February 2011, 10:36
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
I have one old Dewalt DW819 and his Brushes has ben finish.

I live in one island and is sometimes hard to find parts.

In one car electrical garage i take old alternator brushes and refurbishe the grinder with this.

Dewalt.jpg

brush.jpg

brush2.jpg

Now i can test with the long rails hard work.
This Dewalt fit perfect in the Scate.
Old Tue 17 May 2011, 11:53
tjskmm
Just call me: tjsk

CA
United States of America
I have the laser-cut skate parts from the kit and do not want to modify them. Other than the need for longer screws, which grinder models fit the kit without modification to the skate part or the grinder?
Old Tue 17 May 2011, 22:00
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
The grinder mounting screw is almost always wrong, you will still need to modify the hole position now matter what.
Old Tue 17 May 2011, 22:17
tjskmm
Just call me: tjsk

CA
United States of America
What make and model was the rail skate originally designed for? I have a couple of grinders that do not match the mounting holes/slots, and don't care to go out and buy more trying to find one that works. The laser cut parts from the kit do not leave too much room on the top holes to experiment with. The distance between the mounting plate and the grinding disk surface will vary from one manufacturer to another. I've read the original posts on the design process, and there is no definite answer there, either. SOMEBODY has to know.
Old Wed 18 May 2011, 00:49
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...6&postcount=61

Later, the basic hole diameter was increased to suit more grinders. The forum didn't have a consensus on the definitive grinder.

Last edited by Gerald D; Wed 18 May 2011 at 00:58..
Old Wed 18 May 2011, 04:58
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The El cheapo version 4.5A min grinder from Harbor Freight fits, and most Ryobi's from Home depot. But you will have to get the longer metric hardware from the store with spacers to properly mate to the grinder to the skate to keep the disk coplanar.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read