MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 02 February 2010, 18:50
ACFerguson
Just call me: Tony

White Lake
Canada
Canadian User Joining Group

I have no experience with CNC.

I teach machine shop at a high school, but we've no CNC equipment and I've never learned.

I have solid welding skills and own a 1600 square foot woodworking shop.

I figure I have the requisit starting skills to learn wbout CNC.

I want to build a 3-axis CNC router. Additionally, I own a 14x40 metal lathe and a 9x40 milling machine. I also want to add CNC capability to my milling machine (and perhaps the lathe). But, the CNC router seems to be a simple project that might serve me best to get my feet wet with.

I would enjoy hearing from you as to your thoughts on my ideas, and feel free to tell me if my thoughts on all of this are "loco".

Looking forward to your replies

Tony
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 20:10
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tony,

Sounds as though you are ahead of the game than most. I am a software guy and had no experience with CNC. You will do fine.
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 21:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Tony. Another fellow Canadian!
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 22:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Tony. I see that you are from White Lake . . . . . . but all your lakes are white now?
Old Tue 02 February 2010, 23:58
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
And some are solid.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 16:40
ACFerguson

White Lake
Canada
LOL, yes, most of our lakes would indeed be quite "white" and solid right now. Although, mine is still "White" in the middle of summer! I guess that makes it the best one!

Glad to see that other canuks are on this forum!

Well, I may be ahead in CAD knowledge and workshop skills and equipment, but the software and programing side of things seems the most challenging to me!!!

Thanks for the kind welcome to the group. I look forward to my painful learning curve!

Cheers

Tony
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 05:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tony,

It is like any thing else. If you want to cut simple 2D stuff, you have CAD experience and that is good. Using the CAM program is just some more learning. 3D takes a little learning but most CAM programs have good tutorials.

Good Luck
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 17:56
ACFerguson

White Lake
Canada
Thanks.

Any recomendations for CAM software to try out? Most companies have trial versions available, but like most things, some will be better than others. Rather than trying everything out, it may make more sense to try out what works well for most people!

Cheers

Tony
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 18:27
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
Hi Tony,
Is it White Lake, Ontario?
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 19:01
ACFerguson

White Lake
Canada
yes, White Lake, ON. About an hour West from Ottawa.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 19:20
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
I am off Hwy 17 before Pembroke and I just got my machine running. You are more than welcome to stop buy any time.
Buzz
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 19:27
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tony,

Look at the vectric software. They offer a number of packages and you download a trial.

http://www.vectric.com/

Their software is resonable priced but they are all expensive.

Hope that helps.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 20:27
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tony, I am in Cornwall, about an hour south east of Ottawa. I have already met Buzz. Let me know if you want some laser cut parts. Still have a set waiting to go.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 20:28
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hey Buzz, great to hear your still around. Will be contacting you shortly.
Old Fri 05 February 2010, 05:22
ACFerguson

White Lake
Canada
Thanks Buzz, That's a great offer! I'm in Pembrooke half a dozen times each year! I will deffinitly contact you when I'm next there.

Hi Domino, I have been down to Cornwall to play underwater hockey and to go scuba diving many times! Although, I haven't been down in a few years. When I'm ready to move forward with this build, I will drive down and check out your laser cutting machine!

Cheers

Tony
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 19:30
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hey Tony, I am also a scuba diver. Have not dove in a few years due to a back injury and time, but I love it.
Unfortuneatly I do not have laser cutter, I just get the parts cut and bent to help out guys on the forum. It all just started when I was looking for kits myself and found it was cheaper to do them in batches rather than one at a time.
Old Sat 06 February 2010, 20:08
ACFerguson

White Lake
Canada
Ah, I see. So do you have a cnc router, yourself?

Ron McDonald (dive operator and store owner from Cornwall) has been a friend of mine for nearly 30 years. We've dove together, played underwater hockey together, and talked wild tales together. Do you know Ron?

Cheers

Tony
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 09:37
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Hey Tony, I know Ron quite well. I have dove with him off his boat many many times. I also was on the executive of the dive club for a bunch of years as well. Small world.

Well, I am starting my MM build this spring, just finished the garage and now have a place for the router.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read