MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 18 March 2009, 04:51
Jayson
Just call me: Jayson #18

Horsham
Australia
I got a delivery of some 6mm acrylic sheet during the week that I had hoped to make an edge lit sign with. The sign is 230mm high by 530 long and is to go over a friends BBQ area. I was not sure how it would go so I was conservative with my machining feeds and speeds. The finished depth was 4.5mm and this was done in 4 passes at 1900mm/min using a 12mm 45 degree V cutter. It took around 45 minutes to machine. If I was to do it again it would probably be in 2 passes at the same speed.

The picture does not do the finished product any justice, it does look fairly good even if it’s me that says so

Here is a close-up of one of the letters just so you can see how badly the machine does curves...

I still need to mount some LEDs and a way to hang the sign but so far so good.

That’s it for now, off to dream up another small project before I start the next big one.
Old Wed 18 March 2009, 07:15
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
Jayson,

I assume you're being sarcastic about "how badly the machine does curves". This looks really good. Congratulations!

Jeff
Old Fri 20 March 2009, 21:30
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi Jeff,

Yep I was being sarcastic. I feel very happy with the cut quality.

Regards,

Jayson.

P.S.
Sign Finished.
Old Fri 20 March 2009, 21:56
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Looks great Jayson.

How did you end up lighting the sign?
Old Fri 20 March 2009, 22:55
Jayson

Horsham
Australia
Hi Greg M,

Thanks for the comment.

I lit the sign with a string of 30 surface mount led's with adhesive tape on the back. Probably too many LED's but it was easy and it worked.

Jayson.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read