MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 27 August 2008, 15:21
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald and Sean,

That sounds like some thing you tell the gofor to do just to see if he will do it.

When I was in college, I worked for a demo company that did mostly fire damage work. The did it all from demolition to painting. One summer they had a new guy and me, paint the basement for a client. I told the new guy that the way you mixed paint to get it really mixed up was to stick you hand in the paint and stir it. About the time the new guy had his hand and arm in the 5 gallon of paint, the owner walked in and asked what was going on. I told him and with out missing a beat, he said, "Fine, keep up the good work". He never said anything to me. I think the new guy still mixes paint using his hands. It is a longer story but I gave you the short version.

So no, I have not attached the proximity switch to my car battery to see if it can find the aluminium.
Old Wed 27 August 2008, 16:48
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
lol
Old Wed 27 August 2008, 22:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Sean, Nils is wising up to us
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 02:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I have reassembled the table after it has been painted. I have also temporarily installed the rails so we can test the proximity switch with the car battery.

Gerald, is it okay to have the car running?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0892.jpg (165.9 KB, 1843 views)
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 03:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sure, the car can be running, but it is easier if it is standing still.

Oh, you mean the engine running? That's okay, but shouldn't be necessary. Your battery will be over 12V with the engine off, over 14V with the engine running. The proxy only needs 10V.

Tell me again how wide your main beam channel, and the alu angle, is? I didn't expect your rail to completely cover the channel? Not a problem at all, just unusual for me. Still looks rather good!
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 05:35
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Wish I had those nice rails on old BBB....looking good Nils.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 06:25
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Looking good Nils,

Like those square ends on the channels also. If you and Sean are satisfied with the Al. angles, that's what my next build will include. Watching closely.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 08:03
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Gerald,
Due to availability, Nils had to order 3" x 2" x .25 Alum angle.
Since we didn't detect any interference issues, we left the 3" alone.
Old Fri 29 August 2008, 18:06
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Thanks all.

The table is looking very good thanks to Sean.

Since we have both Sean's machine and mine, when it is done, in the same place it will be able to give a comparison between the different rails.

Sean is going to cut my spoil board in the next day or two. It is easier to assemble the machine when you have another MM to cut patterns and for a comparison.
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 07:18
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
What height main beam did you go with? I want to maximize my Z height on my machine and was wondering if you did the same.

Sean,
Would a 10 inch beam be ok with the 14 inch slide? I plan on using a thick spoilboard for sheet cutting and remove the thick board when I need the extra inches on the Z for 2.5D or whatever projects, or maybe an indexer / lathe.
Old Wed 03 September 2008, 17:49
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Heath
Currently I have a "standard" classic slide which yields me about 6" of usable overtravel height with a short cutter. This really means I can have about a 3" exposed tool bit and cut into 3" of material. I have a 8" side channel.
The 10" channel would add an average of 2" of overall travel. Yielding a net 1" increase in cutter depth and material depth to be cut. Does this make sense?

The long z stroke with extra bearings would allow for the tool bit to "tuck" up higher off the table which in my case would add about 2" of clearance.

If you have 10" channels available and you will need a 14" stroke slide to accommodate that new depth. Keep in mind, the longer the z stroke to material distance, the more deflection you "may" see at the tool - hence accuracy.

This is why I am in the process of making a VERY stiff z slide for my modified table due to this challenge.

Good luck.

But if your really only going to cut standard flat goods, I don't see the need for the more expensive side channels....unless you plan on using a table top indexer, then that extra gantry clearance would be a nice benefit.

Sean
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 17:17
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Time for a short update with some pictures.

The Gantry has been welded and painted. I hope to add VBearings and place it on the X Rails in the next days.

The X Aluminum was repainted. I have added the stop blocks, placed the rails back on and have installed the racks. Photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0954.jpg (168.4 KB, 1721 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0962.jpg (169.4 KB, 1730 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0964.jpg (165.3 KB, 1731 views)
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 19:05
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
WOW, I like it.

Nice work Nils ..... and Sean.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 20:09
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Looking good y'all. Keep up the good work.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 21:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Good stuff!

Tell us a bit more about your stop block fitted to the alu?
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 21:45
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Wow Nils, really lookin good!

Wish I had the same help you do
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 22:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Wow, the Bolt & Nut place must like you....impressive. One of these day's you can make your own dust.
Old Mon 22 September 2008, 23:16
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Good stuff!
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 02:03
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Its looking good. Very nice!
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 03:06
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
That's a beauty even before the finale, Sean has been a good teacher.

congrats to both!
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 03:12
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald and others,

Gerald, I did not think about it but I will take close up pictures of the stop blocks and create a drawing for you. Basically, you have a .5 x 1 x 3 inch piece of aluminum sitting on the .5 face. There are two holes on the bottom that accept two bolts that attach the stop block to the Architectual Aluminum. The holes are countersunk in the Arch Alum. Hope that helps until I take pictures of the setup on the Y.

Thanks for all the comments about the work. Yes, Sean has been directing my efforts. I am also pleased with my own part in the process and happy with the results so far but I am getting cutting fever.

We are very lucky in Orlando. There is a place very close to me called Skycraft Parts and Surplus. They have a huge selection of surplus items they pickup. Much of the stuff they have comes from companies that have built the USA space program. They pickup the surplus that is made from NASA changing space craft. They also pickup surplus from buying the complete stock of companies that go out of business. They have been pickup up large quantities of wire and other hardware.

Most of the nuts and bolts I have purchased have come from SkyCraft. At the price of $0.05 a piece or $0.25 a doz. So when they don't have a bolt or nut I need, like what I used to attach the rails to the aluminum, I don't mind paying what it cost to buy at the bolt store in town.

I recently bought a 100' 13/2 extension cord for $34.95.

Another big place that I have been saving is in the cost of the wire. I have not purchased my long run of motor and E-Stop wire because I have been waiting for the right wire to arrive. It just came in last week. I will pay $0.30 a foot for my motor wire which is a nice savings.

Again, thanks for all the nice comments. It is great to see an increase in the number of machine that are at the stage of cutting and I am looking forward to being one of them.
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 03:41
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks for the info on the stop-block.

What is the difference between architectural aluminum and just plain aluminum? I thought the the architectural stuff was for special shapes for window frames and building finishes etc. What we are using is nothing special?
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 05:08
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gerald,

I am not the expert in this area. Arch Aluminum from my understanding is what get the square corner on the inside.
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 11:19
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The MILL spec on aluminum grades in the US follow the grade type and use.
The Aluminum used in this project is 6061-T3 Architectual Grade Alum Angle. Sharp inside corners. It is also available in 6062/3 and 5051/3 grade as well.
The "run of the mill" Aluminum angle which is almost always 6061, has a much wider tolerance on mill thickness and cleanliness.
The Architectual alum always comes individually wrapped in paper and is clean - almost ready for paint. Thus the use of it on Window Glazing Surrounds. The main reason, it gets it spec, is it actually has an interference fit rating within a few thousandths. I like to think its like the difference in HRS - hot rolled steel to CRS - cold rolled flat steel. The tolerenence specs are different. Does this make sense?
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 11:24
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks, that does make sense. We don't have that differentiation in our market. . . . . or maybe I havn't looked at it enough.
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 11:42
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Details of the stop block.
alumStop Model (1).jpg
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 18:35
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Pictures speak for them selves!!! Things are rolling.

Yes the bolts will be tightened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0965.jpg (168.3 KB, 1736 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0968.jpg (167.4 KB, 1736 views)
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 19:37
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
really looking good Nils!!
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 19:59
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Really happy for you & your progress… Getting jealous
I’m looking to start soon too.
Congratulation and thanks for those pics !
Robert
Old Tue 23 September 2008, 22:18
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nils,
You build is looking great. In the second pic of post 147, it looks like the v wheel is rather close to the aluminum rail? Or is it just an angle thing?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read