MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sat 18 December 2010, 09:47
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Very Nice !! I love seeing projects !!!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 12:04
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thank's Mike.

I do notice that after 2.5 years of uploading pictures I am getting close to my limit...will have to beg for more space one of these day's...

Engraving a lot of slats for my bench making friend today I did manage to cut the special offering that was on the Vector Art 3D site....

http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/ind...etail&ID=57384
DSC01605.JPG

Size about 300 x 100 by 25mm thick piece of Australian Blackwood. Some of my stash that I have cut myself in Sabie when I lived there. www.sabie.co.za
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 19:44
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Very Nice Kobus! I would love to have some of that wood!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 21:36
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Jy maak mooi goed vir Kersfees.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 22:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Come on over Heath I will give you some... accommodation for free..

I like to use Burmese TEAK oil on the piece to bring out the colour in these darker type of woods.
Old Sun 19 December 2010, 10:40
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Don't joke about that Kobus, the wife has been at me to take her to Afrika for a while now...
Old Sun 26 December 2010, 05:19
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I love all these free day's at home. Done the sides and fitted the neck today.
I have an appointment with a professional Violin Maker late next week....he must check it out before I glue all together.
DSC01606.JPG
Old Sun 26 December 2010, 05:35
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

You are doing some nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sun 26 December 2010, 08:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Nils.

Also managed to finish off a restoration project today. These tables were in a bad state...loose joints, broken pieces and nicked tops.
Took everything apart. Used furniture scrapers to clean everything. Used Magic Wood (cyanoacrylate) with dust to fill the nicks and cracks.
Gave it 3 coats of PolyWax ( www.woodoc.com )...took it down with furniture steelwool between coats. Think the customer will be happy.
DSC01607.JPG

DSC01608.JPG

Took some measurements so old BBB can cut a set in the future.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sun 26 December 2010 at 08:33..
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 07:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
After 2 1/2 years and with all the new features in Aspire looming I decided it's time to re-do my control box to make provision for the 5 axis... Permanently....
Now I can do indexing without swapping cables and adjusting Mach3 to suite.

A tip for future builders ...put that 5th driver in the box from the beginning...sooner or later you will want to upgrade.

My first box was salvaged from the scrap heap at work. The new one I got given by a friend...ok ok the color is wrong, but at least the drivers have a blue light... When I am in the painting mood I will fix it.

As usual I keep it simple...no switches, contactors etc. As I work from home I don't need all the extras.

DSC01624.JPG

Also had a lot of rain while working and noticed a leak in the roof...Fixed it quickly ...
DSC01627.JPG
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 08:34
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Kobus, 'Amen' to install the 5th, I also have one in my box sitting there for over a year, unues... but I know somewhere next year I am going to connect that for a simple indexer

You box look VERY clear, amazing job(s) you are doing.

Happy New Year, I always love to read your posts!

Ries
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 12:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
http://www.for3d.ru/shop/index.php?cat=33

For people that want NICE Free STL files

See it's only fragments.. will see how much I get of each piece.
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 12:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Most of the files are a bit expensive...but NICE.

The fragment of the puma... sure I can make something off it.
018_puma_for3d.jpg

half of nothing.jpg
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 20:06
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
Nice looking box. Those drives look so small. Looking forward to seeing that violin stained and finished. Do you play?
Old Thu 30 December 2010, 21:40
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's Heath...nice and simple and easy to faultfind if something goes wrong.. It happened with this box..I pinched the one X-Axis DIRECTION wire. Managed to isolate fault quickly and fixed the wire.

No I do not play the Violin, but my son of 11 years old inherited his grandfather and grandmothers musical talent. The piano teacher suggested he starts with a second instrument soon.

I have an appointment with a professional Violin maker this morning at 11h00. Will take my creation for him to check out before I glue it all together.

I am lucky is is about 50km away from me.... http://www.bekkerviolins.com/
Old Sat 08 January 2011, 12:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Feedback on the violin. Had a nice chat with him and gave me a few pointers. He said that if I use the right wood, this could become something. So now that I know we are on the right track, I ordered some proper TONEWOODS from Bratislava in Slovakia. Also managed to find the accessories like the pegs, chinrest etc from place in Canada at a good price.

Today also spend time finishing off my new control box. The local BOB from Greg (www.cncdirect.co.za ) is magic. Can handle up to 6 steppers. Now my indexer is permanently wired and all I have to do is select the correct Mach Post Processor and away I go.
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 03:13
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I visited a friend and he gave me a VFD.
It is an OMRON SYSDRIVE 3G3XV . On the front it is marked ....200v class 1ph 1.5 kW
On the side is marked Omron 3G3XV-AB0 15-E
Input: AC1ph 200-240V 50Hz / 60 Hz
Output:AC3ph 0-240V 2.8kVA 6.5A
Does this mean I will only be able to drive a 1.5kW spindle...?
If so, as I am not in the production environment, do I really need a 2.2kW spindle.
Remember I started with a 500Watt router. Now running a 1100Watt router.
I don't cut deep and fast as you all know.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 04:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If the electrical output of the VFD is 2.8kVA, then you can run nearly at 2.8kW.

(6.5 Amp 3-phase output is a lot more than 6.5 Amp single phase)
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 07:50
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Indexer on Steriods

Thank's Gerald, that is good news..Maybe soon a 2.2kW spindle will be on old BBB.

This afternoon worked on my INDEXER on STERIODS.
I had an old el-cheapo tablesaw. When I got my big saw, I decided to strip this old saw to try and make a drum sander from the parts. Worked sort off, but never happy with it.

When I saw the thing that JR put together (I think it was him) to turn things with CNC, I knew I had the right parts available.

A small 150mm diameter blade has a width of 2mm....narrower than my smallest straight bit that I normally use. Will have to put a shield in front of me for all the flying chips. I turned the wiring around inside the motor so that it will turn DOWN as the lathe will turn towards me. This way most of the chips should go down to the floor....I hope.

I might also be able to cut boards with it...maybe I will make a swivel base so that I can cut in the Y-direction as well.
DSC01628.JPG
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 08:27
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
That looks HAIRY!!!!! but a good idea non the less. The big machines often have a unit like that for doing grooving in the X axis, maybe you can give it a try
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 08:27
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I drilled and tap 4 x 6mm holes...So when I don't use the saw, I take it off.
DSC01629.JPG
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 09:44
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Speechless & scary more than HAIRY….I’d say….
Kobus, You’re some sort of DIY gooroo !!
Come back with some pics to show some result of usage !
Amicalement, Robert
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 11:45
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Could we expect to see something like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EByrvARuj4w
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 12:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, you obviously need to check that the saw blade is rated for the speed of the driving motor. . . . otherwise the teeth fly off.
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 12:29
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi Kobus, did you mean you reverse the he rotation direction ? If so watch so the nut dont unscrew itself when the motor turn .
Old Sat 15 January 2011, 13:14
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's for the input guys.
Danilo : That will also be possible, but my main aim is to get the turning done faster. Will spin the lathe in the normal way with the electric motor and use the blade to shape/cut the profile. Then switch to 4th axis mode to flute or engrave the table leg further.

Gerald, The motor is from a tablesaw that spinned a 10inch blade at speed, so I think the little electric handsaw blade that I will fit will be able to turn at the same speed without problem... but good thinking there.

Normand: Thanks, have not given it much thought....will put some locking device on the nut. I wanted to have the motor turn the other way to cut INTO the wood and also to throw the bits down and not up.

It is good to brainstorm this so that we cover all the bases.. thanks again for the input and let's have some more ideas.
Old Sun 16 January 2011, 00:30
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, it is already a geared table-saw motor, so the basic safety is okay. (I was a bit worried that you had a direct-drive motor there). I knew you were careful, but felt obliged to mention it for other people picking up ideas here.

Don't tell anyone, but I have already put a saw blade in an angle grinder . . . used it freehand, and lived to tell the tale. (That Woodstock tool shop used to sell a special blade for mini angle grinders, it only had 2 teeth on the disk).
Old Sun 16 January 2011, 00:35
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Normand, the thread direction is not critical, as long as it is tight. I have seen two cases where the threads were "correct" for a saw blade carrying cutting load, but both these saws had brakes on the motors to stop them fast in an emergency. During a fast stop, the torque direction reversed, and the blades came off the shafts and ran across the workshop!
Old Sun 16 January 2011, 04:30
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I would like to see that thing in action
Old Sun 16 January 2011, 06:50
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Anyway make sure the gard is near the end of the shaft and that the nut and blade cannot come off without taking off the cover. We would not want a double face friend

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts