MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 14 July 2007, 22:25
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Thanks G!

I thought our new saw was upside down...
Old Sat 01 December 2007, 15:56
plain ol Bill
Just call me: Bill

Olympia, WA
United States of America
Now that is innovative thinking with using the 1/2" angle for the rails. I will be deeping that in mind for sure! Fast, easy and inexpensive.
Old Wed 19 December 2007, 10:38
Art
Just call me: Art #2

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
New V rails installed

I broke down and got V rails from Superior bearing. $198 USD including shipping. Two 6' and two 7' unhardened without pre drilled holes. For those in the US it is not worth the saving to make your own. Price from MSC was over $600.
Old Wed 19 December 2007, 10:59
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Art,

Did you attach them to aluminum or steel?
Old Wed 19 December 2007, 11:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Art,
Do you have new pictures on your site of the new rail arrangement? You must have combined them for your long axis? Did you just butt them together?
Old Wed 19 December 2007, 11:10
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Art, why did you decided to get them not predrilled?

Thanks
Old Thu 20 December 2007, 07:20
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
V rails

I used 1 1/2" pieces of 1" angle iron on 12" centers. I welded a tab at each end and mounted the V rail. I then streached a wire centered on the rail ends. Then clamped tabs every 12" to the V rail and the aligned the rail to the wire and tack welded the tabs in place. When I was finished the rail was horzonaly aligned. Next I loosened the clamps and adjusted the V rail verticaly under the wire. At the end of this I double checked that the V rail was vetricaly and horzonaly aligned to the wire. I then drilled the tap hole on each tab, removed the V rail, threaded the tabs, enlarged the holes in the V rail and remounted it. Then repeated the process on the other side. This gave me both rails verticaly and horzonaly aligned on 3" wide mounting plate. Then clamped plates in place and installed the gantry. Moved the plates around until the gantry ran straight and true. Drilled tap holes every 12" on the mounting plate. The first picture at http://www.turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm is a poor picture but I will post better one shortly.
Old Fri 21 December 2007, 13:26
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Art,
Looks good. Do you think the new rails work better than your first solution? I thought the inverted angle solution looked pretty good as well.
Old Fri 21 December 2007, 14:25
Art

Lancaster,Texas
United States of America
new rails

The inverted angle iron worked great except I have sag in the frame and I couldn't figure out a good way to make the vertial adjustment necessary. The new rails are also quieter. There is no way I would consider making 26' of V rail for $200 USD. For those not in the US Superior Bearing rails may not be a viable option due to the freight costs.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read