MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 08 June 2007, 05:06
Allegheny
Just call me: Brian

Massachusetts
United States of America
PorterCable Tool Changer

Wow, I go away for three weeks and the forum has moved and has an all new look - good job Gerald!

Anyway, a recurring thread on the ShopBot forum has been about the lack of low cost ATC's (Automatic Tool Changers). They are available for spindles but typically cost $15,000 US - likely as much or more than the entire CNC machine!

There have been several ATC's found in the sub-$2000 range, but their use has been limited by their top end speed - typically 10,000 rpm.

There is now a company that is selling a PC router modified with a pneumatic drawbar that accepts stainless steel toolholders in a variety of sizes that will handle 20K+ rpm. The router itself is $1500, tool holders are $45, and pallets to hold up to 8 toolholder/bit combinations are $700 (I would think you could design/build these yourself).

Here is their URL: http://www.midwestrapidtool.com/index.htm

Usual disclaimers: I don't own the company, etc., etc.

BrianB
Old Fri 08 June 2007, 06:52
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
This looks very nice, and rather simple even. Could one build this on his own... :-D
Old Fri 08 June 2007, 07:09
Allegheny
Just call me: Brian

Massachusetts
United States of America
Kim,

Well, anything can be built, if you have the proper tools. The tool holders are made from 303 stainless steel, so turning them on a lathe should be doable - assuming your lathe can hold to CNC-needed tolerances. I've never taken apart a PC router, and I wonder how they've modified the shaft to accept the pneumatic closer.

So far there have been few comments on the ShopBot forum - it was only posted this morning. Before I either buy one of these systems, or even think about building my own version, I'd like to see someone else take the plunge and report back on its durability, accuracy, ease of use, etc.

Brian
Old Thu 13 August 2009, 14:20
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
I just communicated with MidwestRapidTool. They are just finishing a Mach3 set of software for their changer. Once it is done, they said they would post on MechMate as a vendor.
Old Fri 11 September 2009, 22:47
danubcustom
Just call me: DanB

Surrey BC
Canada
for that price i rather pay bit extra for a real spindle with atc from kellinginc (will require vfd which is extra on top of that price..

KL-1200ATC CNC Spindle with ATC: $2899
OD: 85mm
Speed: 24000r/min
Power: 1200W (1.6HP)
Voltage: 220V
Current: 4.5A
Frequency: 400HZ
Grease Lubrication
Water Cooling
Joint of nose: BT30
Bearing Type: NSK Type
1 year manufacturer warranty

http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCSpindleandController.html

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read