MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 18 February 2015, 18:13
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Thanks fellows.
Old Sun 15 March 2015, 11:32
pblackburn

United States of America
I have been cutting plywood at 210 IPM with multiple passes using a 1/2" straight 2 edge flute cutter. I cannot see or feel any ridges or pass lines. Corners are crisp and sharp. So far everything is working out.
Old Tue 17 March 2015, 12:53
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice work on the Z axis, I've been contemplating doing the same mod.
And awesome work on the hearts!
Cheers
Old Thu 19 March 2015, 13:41
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
What did the mod end up costing you?
Old Thu 19 March 2015, 14:14
pblackburn

United States of America
Mike,
I can't give a real world estimate. Between a friend and myself, we did the machining required, so I did not have a cost there. Materials were just shy of $300 USD.

I should upload a video of it running.
Old Thu 28 May 2015, 19:50
pblackburn

United States of America
Cutting HDPE, the video is not the best of quality and never mind the duct tape. Haven't had time to purchase more lexan and brush for the for the new top cover.
Old Tue 16 June 2015, 17:59
pblackburn

United States of America
I have a sign to make, so I start to design it. I made up the original in Aspire 4. I start making this one in Aspire 8 and for the life of me I could not get the lettering to look the same as it did in Aspire 4. After hours of beating my head off the wall, I found that I could recreate it in Aspire 4 but not in 8. This really baffled me, thinking I may have just been a victim of a bug I contacted support. I made a video creating the file in Aspire 4 and 8 with the toolpath creation and preview and sent an email to Vectric support. My big problem was I needed to recreate this lettering because the person really liked the first one and I knew I would need to make another one later and I may not be able to revert back to the old version at that time. In the end, it was a bug in Aspire 4 but Mark from Vectric walked me through a way to recreate it without much hassle.
Old Wed 17 June 2015, 05:34
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Be interesting to see this !!
Old Sun 21 June 2015, 18:03
pblackburn

United States of America
Robert,
Let me see how I can record it so that the licensing information is not able to be seen. I had that part included on the video to them however I do not want that info public.
Old Tue 23 June 2015, 15:56
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
"Let me see how I can record it so that the licensing information is not able to be seen"...

I couldn't tell !?
Not to worry, i was just ...say, curious !

I had that part included on the video to them however I do not want that info public.

Maybe PM ?!?
Hope all is fine for you now !
Later
Old Thu 25 June 2015, 22:36
pblackburn

United States of America
Here is a video showing the V carve bug.

YouTube Link
Old Sun 26 July 2015, 21:33
pblackburn

United States of America
Needed to filter the air because of allergies, had CNC, Wood and blower....needed MERV 12 filter, and little design work. Cleaned the air nicely in bedroom. Total cost to me......$22

Filtered Air by Pete B, on Flickr
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 12:50
pblackburn

United States of America
Playing around with Aspire and Rhino. I found the Guy Fawkes Mask at a 3D print site. No credit for me on that, it was a step file that I just converted to a mesh for Aspire to handle.

Messing Around
Old Sat 05 September 2015, 13:17
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Love it
Old Tue 29 September 2015, 17:03
pblackburn

United States of America
I hope to post some pictures soon. Thought I would share some stuff with you. Here is the result of using the CV6 Mini cyclone with a custom dust shoe and milling graphite. It worked better than expected.

Clear Vue Cyclone Mini for shop vac

I have been stuck in a rut lately. Currently working on a yearlong small bookshelf (about 3 weeks worth of work dragged out over a year ). In the process, I decided to draw up the Mate to scale in Rhino to make it easier to implement the changes required for the 4th axis. I have a lot of unanswered questions that I need to see how it looks to determine the best route to take for the modification to begin.
Old Thu 29 October 2015, 15:41
pblackburn

United States of America
My mother saw something similar to this on Facebook that someone posted. She asked if I could make one. Told her sure. It is 17"x11"x0.25" MDF painted.

Door Decoration, on Flickr
Old Sun 13 December 2015, 12:23
pblackburn

United States of America

Christmas2015Model

Here are the files minus the text.

Aspire 3DClip

STL file

Hope someone makes this. If you use this for sale, please give credit where it is due.
Old Sun 13 December 2015, 13:47
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thks Pete, nice of you to offer this
Old Sun 13 December 2015, 19:27
pblackburn

United States of America
I didn't like the STL output from Aspire so I just refined it in Rhino and created a mesh and replaced the STL for you guys. If you downloaded it already, just click the STL link above for the better file.
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 07:21
pblackburn

United States of America
This is another video of the CV06 Mini ClearVue cyclone sucking up MDF dust. While not directly related to the Mechmate, it can be used for clean up around it or on any other portable power tools that accept a dust collection hose. I use it on my compound miter saw and to vacuum the floor. I even tried it on carpet against my regular vacuum cleaner. I would not recommend that as you will see what you are not capturing with your push/pull beater brush vacuum , that reason and your wife may request further projects for you. Anyway, here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/ivwquA4owTM

My Pentz cyclone is still running strong, filters are still clean with nothing in the capture buckets as of yet. Basically it still looks the same as shown in this post here. I have to say it was the best addition to the Mechmate so far.

My current project is a bookcase for someone. Unfortunately I will not be able to show pictures of it at the request of the owner.
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 08:35
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Pete,

What is the power of motor and the size of impeller you use for your DC? To me, it looks like it is not 5HP. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Milosh
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 08:37
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Dust collection is a great topic for Mechmate. For a small unit, the CV06 is much better than the Thein or most small cyclones out there. ... Still my dream would be for a big ClearVue unit. But dreams come and go.
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 08:47
pblackburn

United States of America
Milosh,
That is correct, it is not a 5 HP. I used my Jet 2HP from my portable dust collector. Through the many hours of reading on Bill's website I found that the Jet 2HP is one of the few that is rated as it should. I spent a long time on emails and talking to Bill about how exactly to achieve the most out of the existing motor and proper sizing the cyclone to work best with it, funneling the air to the impeller to reduce turbulent air, noise reduction ideas, etc. While I would recommend the 5HP as Bill does, I am more than pleased with my setup. He even said I should look to upgrading to the 5HP in the future. That I plan to do. Unfortunately I have not made that move yet.
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 08:53
digger

Toronto
Canada
Pete,

I have a King 2Hp DC, and thinking of using it in Bill's design. How much did you divert from original plan / calculations for 2Hp any motor /impeller, to fine tune it for Jet one?

Thanks
Milosh
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 09:09
pblackburn

United States of America
I did not really divert at all. Based from my air velocity readings I knew it was either a 22" or 20" I had to build. I opted for the 20" with the idea of changing to a 3HP later (my thinking at the time). I did have to modify the top ring and adapt a funnel from the outlet cylinder to the top ring to reduce any turbulent air that would have occurred. This was because my impeller was smaller than the design size. I built the cyclone exactly to the spreadsheet calculations. I purchased 2 filters from Dick Wynn instead of 1 because I wanted more surface area for exhaust so the inflow was not restricted in any way. I would advise contacting Dick Wynn if you build one because I got a more efficient filter, just had to have the right amount of sqft of filter available to not impede the suction. The filter box I design based on many other ideas. Since the noise is created from the exhaust, I suspended a tin box inside a MDF foam filled enclosure. My hand vacuum cleaner is louder in another room with the door shut than the dust collector now.
Old Fri 18 December 2015, 09:25
digger

Toronto
Canada
Thanks Pete. As allways, read to share.
Old Sat 27 February 2016, 11:31
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Pretty quiet lattly Pete !!

Tell us some !.....what's cooking on your side ?!
Old Sun 28 February 2016, 17:43
pblackburn

United States of America
Entering mid life laziness is all. have stuff I need to do but can't find time to do it. Cut out some stuff for a jig for work but other than that. Hiding in the shrubbery.
Old Sun 28 February 2016, 20:30
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Up here.....some call it...the WINTER blues
Old Mon 29 February 2016, 04:07
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I'll second that midlife laziness !!! Never time to do anything at this point !!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read