MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 21 February 2018, 08:54
Anscheepers
Just call me: Andre

North West
South Africa
Newbie from South Africa

Hey Guys

I am planning on starting a build very soon. I just received my bonus so finally, the funds are sorted.

I have one question though: Taking into consideration that it all depends on build quality, setting up and the use of proper materials etc... What would realistic accuracy be on movements?
Old Thu 22 February 2018, 12:13
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Hello Andre
I did some test to now repeatability and accuracy. I have a ball bearing z axis and use steppers with 1:3 belt reduction
Z is 0.01 accurate
I checked with a gauge wich has 0.01mm accuracy and has a travel from 10 mm
when move the machine in steps from 0.1 mm it's are also steps 0.1 mm on the gauge
Then I place the gauge on zero-zero position on the x and y axis ( they are placed in a magnetic foot gauge holder on the frame)
Then let it run a certain program and check the gauges if I sent the machine back to zero. I did this several times. No more then 0.03 mm on the gauges
When I cut a circle from 30 cm in wood, and I check the cutted surface I see I clear circle and don't see any step where the axis reverse direction that means 0 backslash
Old Fri 23 February 2018, 02:10
Anscheepers

North West
South Africa
Mechmate vs Off-the-shelf CNC Router

Hi Rik

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound bad at all.
Now the financial manager (aka my wife) asked me why I don't rather buy a machine.
I came up with these reasons thus far:
  • Less expensive
  • Customisable without having to worry about waranties etc.
  • Easier and cheaper to mainatain as I would know the ins and outs

She has countered with these:
  • Might be more accurate
  • It will be worth more when sold
  • It will be more reliable
  • It will have a warranty

Can you guys think of any other pros or cons between the mechmate and a factory built CNC router?
Old Fri 23 February 2018, 05:12
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
"A wise man will listen very carefully, to what the people that know and love him say."
They are the best guidance.
Old Fri 23 February 2018, 05:32
Anscheepers

North West
South Africa
Davey

That's an interesting statement. So you're saying you think I shouldn't have bought the plans...
Old Fri 23 February 2018, 14:42
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Pro
You will get a custom made machine with the dimensions You want, and all options you want
It's very reliable
When attention is payed to cabling and electronic set up, easy to trouble should
The forum is the best help desk you will ever get (world wide, and experts on all kind of disciplines, 24h/day available)
You can tell you made it yourself

Con
You will sit coming time less beside your wife on the sofa.
Cutting wood has to wait untill the machine is ready

I enjoyed building the mechmate, and I always enter my shed with a big smile on my face. Gerald made a design which is briljant by it's simplicity!
Old Fri 23 February 2018, 15:20
IamDave

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
No. I think it is an excellent machine... Money well spent, if that is the direction you decide to go. I meant nothing negative, to the design or the forum. It was only my opinion. Good luck on your build.
Old Sat 24 February 2018, 05:51
IamDave

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Andre. You may like this. https://www.facebook.com/groups/227677994349158/
Mike started it last year.
Old Wed 28 February 2018, 07:15
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Hi Andre, the MM is like a 1960 VW Beetle, reliable and simplicity. because you build it you will know what to do if things go wrong - in all these years noting went wrong with my MM only user error. The only maint I do is grease the racks twice a year and I replaced the double-side tape on the rails last month because they started to debond at places.
Make sure you undestand the Z height machine capability that you want to build, what I want to say is ensure enough space for vacuum table, material thicknes and tool length and so on. that said the MM can be adapted in future according to job requirements.
On accuracy- if you build a sloppy MM by cutting corners then you will introduce flex, vibration that will compromise accuracy - keep to the design plans and other adaptive proven methods on this forum and your MM will be chapp.
The only drawback of the MM design is that you can only feed material from 2 sides without breaking the back, so keep that in mind with you workshop layout.

Groette
Koning
Old Sun 04 March 2018, 21:10
ChuckS
Just call me: Chuck #125

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I built mine mostly because there are no proprietary or mystery parts in it. Every piece is one phone call or one email away, usually from multiple suppliers. I knew little when I started, but I didn't find the build difficult at all. I had to learn how the electronics worked, how the software worked, and quite a bit of metal working.

3 year later, I've had to to no maintenance other than checking bolts & such for tightness, and occasionally adjusting something. Same as any other machine. I've broken a few bits due to operator error. I either had the parts on hand or was able to fab them in a few minutes. With most other machines, I would have had a few days of down time instead of an our or two.

I'm looking at building 1 to 3 more of them.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read