MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Fri 06 May 2011, 12:26
jamieh
Just call me: jamieh

new glasgow
Canada
New Member - New Glasgow, NS CA

Hello Everyone.

My name is Jamie and I’m from New Glasgow, NS (Canada). I’d love to build a woodworking CNC Table (hobby use) but I’m a bit intimidated at the moment from all of the parts needed to make it work.

I do have experience in the computer world, I do have woodworking tools but know nothing about how to start this project and move forward in a step by step approach and get it completed properly. I’m sure once I get knee deep and learn from my mistakes it would all make sense in the end.

Where would you recommend I begin so that I don’t put the cart before the horse?

For my first CNC woodworking experience I did like to build a table that’s around 2 feet wide and 4 feet long, It was thinking of going leadscrew for both axis instead of rack and pinion (from what I read leadscrew is more accurate?) but again I’m just surfing and reading before I begin.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Old Fri 06 May 2011, 13:01
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jamieh.
Accuracy is relative. If all things are considered (leadscrew pitch, backlash of nut, electric motor/stepper/servo and proper amplifier are known, a stepper/gearbox/reduction belt drive and rack can match or exceed performance if going large scale table like a MM.

The MM is an excellent blend of accuracy and speed for the value.

Good luck for your build.

Sean
Old Fri 06 May 2011, 16:04
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the team. Read the sticky threads in each section first.
Old Fri 06 May 2011, 18:09
melissa
Just call me: Melissa #83

Brighton (Ontario)
Canada
Hi Jamie,

If you're looking for the overview of the build process, check out the build threads under "MechMates already cutting", especially the longer threads (some are 10+ pages long).

The best advice I've heard regarding the build process is:

1. start with the difficult part for you. Electronics, welding, etc. If you get "your" hard part out of the way first, then the build gets easier as you go on.

2. start learning the software NOW. That goes for CAD and CAM. The learning curve can be steep, even for those with computer experience, and it's frustrating to have a completed build that you can't fully utilize yet because of software limitations. The build happens once. The software you'll end up using for years.
Old Fri 06 May 2011, 22:01
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Jamie! Take the good advice mentioned above and then ask some questions!
Old Tue 10 May 2011, 03:45
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome!!!
Throw away your creative hat & just build as the stock plan to the teeth. Only opt for alternatives solution when you actually know what you are doing
Fastest & most effective learning is during the building process...
BTW, the only decision you have to make is to build or not to build...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts