MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 06 March 2008, 06:50
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Geeez, was hoping to apply another coat of primer while electricians do their thing. But, it's snowing again.

Saturday "should" be in the 60's and 70's deg F. I may try and get by with only one coat of primer and apply top coat Saturday. I have two coats of primer on all the "small" parts so they are good. The base table has two coats of primer on the bottom surfaces. The top and side surfaces do have good coverage with one coat.

I hope this isn't a mistake. I really want to start assembling / leveling / squaring / etc. Sunday.
Old Thu 06 March 2008, 20:18
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Upgrade to 90 amp service at shop is completed. "Other" non-MM projects also completed.

Saturday's weather is looking good for top coat painting. Sunday is for final setup / leveling / squaring / etc. of my new MechMate.

I think your going to like "the beast's" new home. A dedicated area, purpose build for a new MM, new drywall, fresh paint, good lighting, a new dust control system. What more could a man want.
Old Thu 06 March 2008, 21:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
. . . . What more could a man want.
. . . . . . a stack of scrap in the corner, and the customer's payment cleared by the bank!
Old Fri 07 March 2008, 06:10
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
. . . . . . a stack of scrap in the corner, and the customer's payment cleared by the bank!
quiet.jpg Shhhhhh ...

I don't want my "day job" to get wind of this. Oh how fun that day will be, going to the bank, that is. I'll miss the friends I've made.
Old Sat 08 March 2008, 20:15
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Painted all parts today, but, thought I'd show this one. I'll touch up where the wheels are attached in the shop when the table is level.

Had a great day.

Fresh Paint 1.jpg
Old Sat 08 March 2008, 21:17
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Well done Greg. Your weather is soooo much better than mine. Approaching a meter of snow and still going.
Old Sat 08 March 2008, 23:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Love the light, and the Ford tractor blue out in the fields . . . .
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 03:15
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

Very sharp looking table and great view in the back ground.

Marcs comment about the snow in Ohio. I am from Ohio and when I hear the weather report that talks about 10" already on the ground and it is going to snow all day and night, it makes me rejoice that I live in the SUN SHINE state.

Just drive carefully.!..
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 05:26
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Looking great Greg. Even with the wheels, I bet that table is a bear to push on gravel with 4 swiveling casters.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 08:23
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Guys.

Those pneumatic tires worked out great. It moves quite easy. All four swivel, and it spins on a dime (10c Rand).

Oops, better give update. Today is setup day. I'll place the base table in its permanent location and take the wheels off. I will level and attach the X rails. Mount the V-roller on the gantry and adjust to X-rails.

Almost forgot. I had better mount the 1 inch MDF support board to the cross members. Anyways, I have all pieces of the puzzle. No waiting on parts and it's only up to me.

Last edited by Greg J; Sun 09 March 2008 at 08:30.. Reason: added update comment
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 09:27
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Greg if you are going to seal the support board bottom and edge pre assembly is the best time.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 10:47
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
J.R.,

Seal the MDF support board? You lost me on that one. Is it necessary?

New Mexico is desert, low humidity, so may not be issue here.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 11:50
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Greg,

It is not to protect it. It is to enable a future vacuum system. If you don't seal the bottom and sides, you will lose vacuum. I will write more about the vacuum system that JR designed. It is a take off on something that Mike Richards pointed him to. It works really well!

I did the CAD file and can post the DXF soon. Simple yet highly effective in initial tests.
Old Sun 09 March 2008, 12:19
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Thanks Marc,

OK, now it makes sense. I've got plenty of sealer/paint. Simple enough at this stage.

I won't be mounting the X-rails today. Have some touch up painting to do. I'll seal the bottom and sides of the support board today also.

Again, Thanks. The support from this forum is great!!
Old Sat 15 March 2008, 23:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
. . .still have irrigating to do at midnight . . .
Is that timing because of sharing a river/canal with neighbours? Our farmers (in certain areas only) are allocated times when they are allowed to pump or draw water. I am always fascinated by these complexities of farming.

I also irrigate my garden late at night (11 pm). But that is because I recycle the "grey" water and pump that out of a tank. Could be smelly and the pump is slightly noisy - had to find a time where neighbours wouldn't object to smell or noise.
Old Sun 16 March 2008, 06:15
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Greg, it may be cold in Canada, but we don't have to ration water. We have oodles of fresh water. Although most of it is a little hard right now. I don't know which is better: warmth or plenty of water. I guess we all have good things and not so good things to deal with where we live.

Paul
Old Sun 16 March 2008, 08:16
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
The timing is weather related. No more freezing at night.

We flood irrigate thru concrete canals. Mr. Hagerman started our canal system over 100 years ago. Plenty of water from wells, as long as you pay for the water rights and pumping costs.

Since we flood irrigate, water is flowing 24 hours per day until done. Everyone is going to those large pivot irrigations systems. Very efficient on water usage and no labor costs. For our little operation (35 Acres of irrigated. Not that I have time for any more) the payout on one of those system is too long (10 years). So we stick with the manual way of moving siphon tubes. The same way the ancient Egyptians irrigated. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Beside, we could use the exercise

Let me get a pot of coffee in me, and I'll head to the shop for some MM work.
Old Sun 16 March 2008, 09:54
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

What are you growing?
Old Sun 16 March 2008, 12:36
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nils,

Thread was starting to drift on the Y gantry thread, so I'll reply here. (moved the "drifts" to here as well)

I'm rotating out an old alfalfa field with an oat hay crop. This fall, I'll plant another alfalfa crop and that will last about 5 years. We got 7 years on the one we're rotating. It is a money making crop.

Wife cornered me into doing tax stuff all morning. Now I'm headed to shop.
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 17:05
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Under the weather

Hope this is right. This is Greg's wife. We just got home from the hospital, he had to have his appendix removed last night around midnight. All went well, we are just both pooped. He wanted me to let the mechmate group know. Take care, Karen for Greg J.
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 17:38
cbboatworks
Just call me: Gene

Wilmington NC
United States of America
Quote:
Hope this is right. This is Greg's wife. We just got home from the hospital, he had to have his appendix removed last night around midnight. All went well, we are just both pooped. He wanted me to let the mechmate group know. Take care, Karen for Greg J.
Greg

Hope all is well and you recover quick. Take care

cbboatworks@aol.com
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 17:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Heath.
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 18:48
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Here's to a speedy recovery. Get well there will be time to finish your machine later take the time to heal right and everything else will fall into place.
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 19:41
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
greg. Hope all is well. Don't lift anything heavier than a coffee mug for at least a week. Your abs will thank you. Get well. Sean
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 22:03
Roadkill_321
Just call me: John #7

Wiseton, Saskatchewan
Canada
Hey Greg, hope you heal up fast and are able to get back to your MechMate. Best wishes
John
Old Fri 21 March 2008, 22:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Karen & Greg
Sorry to hear of the Easter emergency. Hope that everything heals well and that you can back to farming soon. The alfalfa won't be as patient as the MechMate
Old Sat 22 March 2008, 05:19
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Karen,

You did good.......

Greg,

Happy to hear you are patched up and will be feeling better soon.
Old Sat 22 March 2008, 05:28
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I'm glad that all is well.
Old Sat 22 March 2008, 09:01
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Greg,

I hope you recover quickly.

Good job Karen.
Old Sat 22 March 2008, 10:17
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Greg / Karen

Although this group likes pictures... You can spare us these.

Greg, rest up good luck! Give it time and let us know how you are doing!

Marc

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read