MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 16 October 2013, 23:38
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Second Mechmate OC 12'x6'x12"

Hey all,

Well, I'm back in LA, technically Orange County for a bit, and as I promised, I am going to start building a new Mechmate for my time when I am stateside building sets.

This particular machine is based off my last one, except a tad bit smaller length, but a bit wider width. 12'x6', on 8" Channel. It's a bolt together machine again. I've not ordered parts yet, but am about to start.

It's going to be a rigorous schedule but should be pretty productive seeing as how I have just finished my machine in New Zealand and have a few guys to help.

Cheers,
Chris
Old Thu 17 October 2013, 15:25
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Sweet. I'll be watching with interest. Good Luck!!
Old Thu 17 October 2013, 15:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
When you get back to Auckland, fellow #5 builder LEKO is in your neighborhood this year. He too is the movie set building business.
Old Tue 22 October 2013, 20:42
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Well the build has begun.

Metal delivery, except main beams, which are coming tomorrow. Most stuff has been drilled or marked today. I'm thinking of doing a Ball screw Zslide this time, does anyone have a plan for that? Guess I could whip one up real quick.

Anyhoo, I've procured a great team of crafty guys helping me.

Cheers,
Chris

Old Thu 24 October 2013, 21:30
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Well, the first channel came, and was kinked so i sent it back. It was really bad. The next is coming tomorrow. I had to order 10" channel, because the channel here in America is too short on the flange. So it wouldn't mate up to my 3" leg pieces.

All my parts are ordered and trickling in.
went with PK296 B2a SG 7.2 again.
For a BOB, instead of the PMDX products, I opted to try a new Korean bob with 6 axis control, several relays, and ESS support. The board arrived today and looks very clean.

Went with a 600VA PS. Toroidal again, same voltage as my last machine 40, just more amps for one more driver when I expand.
Gecko G203v x4
3kw Chinese Water cooled spindle from Qlandingsatisfaction on ebay. The thing came today, it's huge! He's very reliable and quick.
Went with 16GA wire 4 core for my main wire.
Echain from Chai which is arriving tomorrow, again very reliable.
Control stuff from Automation Direct.
All good stuff, quality machine, very excited. Nearly all holes are drilled, all cuts are finished, Welding begins tomorrow. Well on schedule.

Next week, Table final assembly, and Electrical. I plan to have it finished by end of next week.

Cheers,
Chris

Old Fri 25 October 2013, 06:02
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Impressive schedule. I'm in the preliminary stages of a second machine myself, but don't think I could build that fast.
How about a review of the BOB after you've used it a bit?
Old Fri 25 October 2013, 13:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
For the well sorted about machine build, it really only takes about 2 weeks if you have all the stuff in a pile. Great to see you making progress.

Cheers.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 10:47
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks guys,

My goal is to finish the machine before Mike updates this thread to the construction started but not yet cutting yet forum . I had a bit of difficulty with my Ycar this time because it was a tad bent, so the roller mount parts didn't line up right and for some reason during welding 2 of the roller holes lost square by 1/8 inch, as in one hole is higher than the other. I'm thinking of grinding out 2 slot welds to correct it as I've not yet turned over to weld the other side yet. Any ideas? Haven't seen what the roller adjustment slot is but I'm sure I'll find it. Is this a slot that is in the hole?

The rest of the build is cake. Second time around is definitely easier.

Here are some pics. I have a great crew helping me. 5 people make it go fast. Very fast. The build will be finished this friday, or sat. It will only be primed but that is ok.

Thanks,
Chris

Old Wed 30 October 2013, 19:32
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'm pathetic, you're about to finish your second in the time I turn around But this is good news for you, hope you don't run into anymore snags.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 19:43
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America

Where did you source your laser cut and bent parts?
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 14:20
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
I had a local company do it for me in Santa Ana. there are a lot of Laser part places here.

Anyhoo, I'm wiring up the machine now, and have stumbled across a bit of a question. I think I may know the answer, but wanted to confirm prior to melting anything...

My toroidal has two primaries, it's a 625va toroidal. Do I wire them in Parallel, or series? The wires are blue and grey for one side, and Vio and brown for the other.

The other question I had is my motor output only has Stp+, Stp-, and Dir+ Dir- and I'm using G203V which take Dir, Step, Common. Where do I pull the common from the BOB, the Gnd?

Thanks!
Chris
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 19:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Are the primaries 120V each? If so then if you are using 120V in then parallel, If 240V in then you would want them in series. Make sure to get the phase of the primaries correct.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 20:21
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Hey Heath, the primaries are 120v each. I was just going to wire them parallel but wanted to make sure. It's in order from top to bottom:

Blue
Grey

Violet
Brown

So just to make sure, it's blue to violet and grey to brown?

Thanks
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 20:34
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
That sounds right, do you have a datasheet for the transformer to be sure?
Or do they show a schematic on the label? parallel would be for 120V source.
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 12:41
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Yeah it's as follows:

Blue 120v
Grey 0

Violet 120v
Brown 0

Thanks Heath!
Chris
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 15:15
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Ok, I'm having some difficulty with this power supply. For some reason, when I rectify the output of the secondaries, I am definitely getting the same voltage as the AC side (30v), actually 29.8vdc, and I should be getting 42vdc (1.41x). Then when I plug in the caps, which are wired in parallel they are frying the rectifier. The caps are charging up though. Could this be because my primaries are out of phase or something?

Here are the photos.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Chris

[IMG]

image hosting over 2mb[/IMG]
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 15:31
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
What is the AC voltage before you plug in the rectifier bridge? Probably a defect rectifier, rare occasion, but it does happen.
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 16:40
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
its 30v ac, tried with 3 rectifiers, same output, 30v.
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 17:04
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Chris, what is the white wire? It looks to be connecting the 2 sets together? You should only have (according to the transformer) violet+blue and brown+grey connected to either side of the rectifer - well that how I understand primaries in parallel.
Old Tue 05 November 2013, 17:12
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
do you have 30vac on the black red? or orange yellow?
that wiring look fine to me. is rare to see a problem on a "profeccional" transformer this days.

btw.. huge tansformer you can power two mechmates with that..
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 07:31
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Shop Space

wow I envy the shop space
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 12:46
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Guys, Thanks for the response. We still have not figured it out. There is some problem, but not sure what yet. The transformer is 620v a, 30v. 2 primaries at 120v, and 2 secondaries at 30v 10.25a ea. I wanted to get something bigger because I want to add some more axis later.

Anyhow, The white wires are just ac in from the wall as we are testing outside of the control panel.

I haven't yet tested to see if I have 30v on each of the black and red, orange and yellow yet. I suppose half the transformer could be bad and that could account for the loss after rectification. But isn't it rare for the transformer to be bad?

We managed to get another rectifier and the figured that the caps must be shorted somewhere, or not big enough, or something. Not sure, but every time we plug the caps in it fries the rectifier. Any thoughts on this? Today I'm going to get some new caps. A bunch of smaller ones as I can't find bigger ones anywhere in Socal.

Any more suggestions? Thanks for any help on this guys.
Chris
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 16:09
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Work

What line of work are you in?
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 17:02
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
I do production design and fabrication.
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 20:27
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Are you sure you have your rectifier rating correct?
Old Wed 06 November 2013, 21:07
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Chris,
Some stuff to check
Do you have the AC secondaries going to the AC side of the bridge?
Also are you connecting the caps after the transformer is powered up?
I would have them connected first before powerup.
Your wiring of the transformer looks fine. You could also use just one secondary for testing,
that would give you lower amps. What is the rating of the bridge in amps? There will be a
lot of inrush current to charge the caps when the transformer is first powered.
What voltage rating is on the caps?

Not sure here, but I think you may have your caps wired in reverse?
Hard to tell from the pics, but the lite blue wire looks to be going to
a white stripe on the caps, that is usually (but not always) the negative side?
It looked to be going to the pos side of the rectifier.
Again check this as its hard to tell in the pics.

Last edited by domino11; Wed 06 November 2013 at 21:17..
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 02:58
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

We've had it wired up exactly correct and the way that you've told us, once with a 50amp rectifier which blew, then another 50 amp, then a 25 amp. White strip on the caps wired to negative. I think it's possible that the soldering iron was too hot and shorted out one of the caps, dunno.

One detail, the caps are charging up and we're getting a big spark. I just think that the caps are smaller than what they say and mislabeled. They say 63v but are about 1.3rd the size of my 63v caps in Auckland.

I'm getting new caps tomorrow. Will update you for sure then. Thanks again for all the help.
Cheers,
Chris
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 16:36
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Ok, we've taken the toroidal wires out and tested the secondaries and they both output 30v ea, so that was not the issue. I plugged in one secondary only into the rectifier and I'm still only getting 1 to 1 on voltage out of the rectifier. So 30vAC in and 29.8vDC out. I can't figure out why this is except that maybe the manufacture of this particular rectifier just doesn't work or is backward or something.

Just to confirm, on the AC side of the rectifier, it does not matter if I hook Neutral or Hot to either correct?
Chris
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 17:20
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
It is correct that the wiring on the AC side of the rectifier can go either way.

Can you post a photo focused in on the wiring to the rectifier? We can't verify that it is correct.

Also, are there any possible signal paths through that metal mount? How are the capacitors attached? Is the metal case of the rectifier connected to any of its pins?

Does the problem still occur if you get rid of the metal mount and have everything just lying on the table top?

You don't want to connect the caps with the power on. You're gonna get arcing, and ugly spikes that the rectifier won't like.
Old Thu 07 November 2013, 20:29
parrulho
Just call me: Paulo #108

willemstad
Netherlands Antilles
All your connections looks good to me but looking at the photos, the metal disc between the toroid and capacitors is too big and can be touching the bracket on bottom. if it's the case you have a short and you are lucky that the transformer is still working. take a look at this post: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read