MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 23 July 2009, 02:32
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John

Nice looking machine and good work.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 02:59
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
bluieee bluieee........loooks pretty. I like the color and the way you have built your machine

at least u have color on only your shoes
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 07:42
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
The only problem is that no one is going to believe you actually built it yourself.
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 13:52
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I am daily humbled by the level of detail other builders are obtaining.....Nice work.
Sean
Old Thu 23 July 2009, 19:36
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
John,
Awesome, just awesome. I think that garage is really to clean, I am jealous!
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 00:38
buibui
Just call me: John #34

Seattle
United States of America
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get it cutting. Couldn't have done it without this forum and everyone's previous experiences...I studied every single build log.

Irfan, someone at work noticed today that I had a bluish tint to my hair!
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 01:28
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
John - i was referring to Nils, surprised G' did not pick him here he had his face done up with the blue spots

sorry nils
Old Fri 24 July 2009, 02:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Blue in the hair is a sign of old-age:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rinse
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...lue-rinse.html
Old Sun 16 August 2009, 10:33
lsalme
Just call me: LS

Seattle(Wa)
United States of America
Impressive build, the MechMate really is built like a tank. I'm located in Kent Wa. and built a Joes 4x4 this last winter, not nearly as much mass as the MechMate. I only found out yesterday that there were some local MechMate builds going on which is great. I'll be checking the MechMate forum more often.
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 01:04
RLH3
Just call me: Roman

Reno, NV
United States of America
Under Table Storage?

I really like your table design. The ability to take it apart to move is a good thing. This is the direction that I will go when I finally convince the boss that a MechMate would be a good idea!
Looking at the drawing in the first post, do you think that it would affect the stability of the table too much to move those verticals just enough further apart to be able to store some extra sheet stock under there? In my mind's eye I can see some sort of multi-level rack fastened across the width of the table to keep half a dozen sheets of stock.
I think that this came to me after spending the weekend fighting with my sheet goods storage in my existing shop...

Just an idea...

Roman
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 06:57
Medemt
Just call me: Dan

Avon, IN
United States of America
John,

First off, outstanding looking machine. I have looked at many machines on this forum and I will no doubt build mine the way you did, when I have everything in place to begin the build.

If I could ask you, what did you finally end up with on you X, Y, and Z dimensions used in the drawing calculations? Your first post said probably 55 & 100, but I was curious what you ended up with.

Will you leave it in your garage, or do you have another place to put it. The tear down capability is so great. Nice job.

Can't wait to see some output from your machine.

Dan
Old Mon 17 August 2009, 22:11
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Thank you guys for the compliments.

Lsalme: Welcome and good luck if you decide to build a MechMate. Joe's 4x4 looks like a great machine, and I considered one before I started my build. And yeah, I'm excited to see a lot of builders in the area!

Roman: That's a great idea and I'm sure you can make it work. Check out Radishworks build...he did something similar to what you're thinking. Also check out bfauska's who -- if i remember correctly -- built his to fit over a table.

Dan: Yes, I built my table 55 x 100 x 8. I plan on leaving it in the garage for now. I have a basement that I'd like to convert to my shop "one day", but it needs some work that I don't want to get into right now...like lighting, power, and cleaning out all the junk!
Old Tue 18 August 2009, 06:15
Medemt

Avon, IN
United States of America
John,

I feel your pain. I just spent a week of vacation cleaning out my garage and shed. I have no idea where all that junk came from??????????????????

Thank for the reply and again, can't wait to see some work coming out of your machine.

By the way, were there any issues you encountered because you designed your MM the way you did?

Dan
Old Wed 19 August 2009, 01:45
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Dan...I hope you were cleaning out the garage for good reason?!!

I didn't run into any major problems with my changes, but I stuck to the plans pretty closely from the rails on up to avoid this. One thing though was that my deviations prevented me from using some of the formulas (for determining material dimensions) in the drawings, and this made planning a little more difficult and took some time to figure out at the onset. I tried not to change anything mechanically.

John
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 00:13
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Hi everyone,

So the control box has taken me quite a long time...I had a lot of learning and reading to do in this area. Finally this past weekend, I got it together and put on my welding helmet, goggles, and welding gloves just to TURN IT ON. Good news, nothing spectacular but the click of the contactor, hum of the fan, and green lights.

I welcome your critique on my wiring. It works but I want to make sure I've built a safe and reliable system. Some questions that I have:

- I used 14 AWG wire for the ground in the box and to the table. Is this thick enough?
- I have a 35A contactor for the router, with a 120V coil. I hooked up the coil to the relay on the PMDX. Is this okay long term? (i.e. Is the little relay meant to handle 120V?)

Anyways, here are some pictures, and I hope to have a decent project to post soon.

IMG_0021-1.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0029-1.JPG

The blob cutout is supposed to be the roadrunner. I didn't have a small collet, and the had to use a 3/4" cutter. BUT WE HAVE DUST!
IMG_0015-1.JPG
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 00:45
inventall
Just call me: pete

ca
United States of America
Congrats, looks great!!!!!!

I was not sure on the 14gauge too, but I had a lot of it, so I used 2.
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 03:12
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
John,

The inside of the controller box looks fantastic and your machine looks good.

Congratulations on cutting.

Sounds like a serial number will be coming.
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 04:15
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Wonderful job!
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 04:31
kaartman
Just call me: Koning #20

Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
Well done, welcome to the club!!
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 04:49
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Hmmm....pretty machinery!
Nicely done and well executed fabrication. Kudo's!

Sean
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 05:21
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Thanks for sharing these and congratulation on your nice built, lots of efforts !
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 06:56
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congratulations John! Very nicely done.
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 07:01
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

John,

Congratulations on a great machine and Serial #34. Looks really good on that special flooring.

The updated Builder's Log is here.

Please review your entry and let me know any changes you'd like.

Last edited by jhiggins7; Wed 16 September 2009 at 07:04.. Reason: Fixed error on Serial number.
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 09:38
Greeny
Just call me: Greeny

The North
United Kingdom
Congratulations on your superb build.

Cheers
Greeny
Old Wed 16 September 2009, 19:43
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Thankyou, thankyou guys! I'll wear the #34 proudly! John Higgins, everything looks right. I can't believe it's been 6 months...my back still hurts from lifting steel.

Now off to study Doug's tutorial!
Old Thu 17 September 2009, 10:33
Medemt

Avon, IN
United States of America
John,

Awesome looking machine. When I build mine, It will be based on your design. Hope that is OK.

Two quick questions, what is "Doug's tutorial"? I did a search and did not find it. Could you point me to the right place. Also, could not help but ask, who is the manufacturer of the flooring in your garage? I just built a new workshop and am looking for good flooring.

Can't wait to see some output from your machine. I have this thread on automatic updates by email.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Thu 17 September 2009, 12:32
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Look here.
Basic Cutting Tutorial
Old Thu 17 September 2009, 15:28
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
John: Well done! An inspiration to the rest of us Pacific Northwesterners following in your footsteps. Joe
Old Thu 17 September 2009, 21:55
buibui

Seattle
United States of America
Dan: My floors were installed by the previous owner of the house, but I think they are the same as Playmaker Court flooring. They look nice and are comfortable to work on, but not entirely practical...they trap dust, and I hesitate weld or grind in the garage. Now that the Mechmate is done, I will probably remove some of the tiles and epoxy paint the floors...once I get motivated enough to take it apart again.

Joe: Thank you, I've been watching your build too and can't wait to see the finished product. Let me know if you need a hand flipping it over!
Old Fri 18 September 2009, 11:04
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
When you epoxy paint, dont forget to include some sort of grip material (sand or similar) to the final coat, MDF dust and a smooth epoxy floor is a recipe for disaster (unless you enjoy visits to the emergency room)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read