MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 07 December 2009, 20:11
Stepinwolf
Just call me: Bob

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Anyone have the MM mounted on wheels ?

I am planing on a 5' by 12' table, and because of the size, I would like the option of moving the unit to other parts of the shop. Has anyone had any experience with a wheeled version of the MM. ?

Bob
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 03:14
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi Bob,

you can mount wheels to your MM, but you need mandatory adjustable Table feet.
So when mooving around, the adj. feet are retracted.
When working you adjust table hight and level your MM. By this the wheels loose contact with the ground.
Even if there are wheels with brake systems, forget about it leaving your MM on just on rollers.
The side forces during work will move the whole thing.
You donīt want running after Your MM! Do you?
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 03:41
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Its another "it depends" situation.
Tell us what you expect before we can say much.
but generally, once you move you mechmate, I would expect to re-do the leveling & alignment all over again with the present design. so if you must move the machine 5 times a day, they forget about it.
Unless you consider +/- 5mm or 1/4 inch tolerance in all direction acceptable. then you can even cut while pushing or swinging in the air.
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 17:20
Stepinwolf
Just call me: Bob

Trois Rivieres
Canada
Thank's for the reply's, but I am re-thinking the problem. I will most probable move a vehicle lift I am using, and mount the MM in it's place permantly.

Ken, I am already making crooked, and sloppy parts manually, so I will need very close tolerances, when I transition to the MM.

Bob
Old Tue 08 December 2009, 19:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
When we have moved a MM, we havn't worried about re-aligning anything after the move. But, our machines have been welded as one-piece tables, and there is nothing that can shift out of position with a gentle moving process.

Too much is made of setting a table up level. . . . you can lift one end 2" higher than the other and nothing will happen to accuracy or cut quality. (If the table is badly twisted, then it will cut a little out of square)
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 11:57
woody
Just call me: Rob #35

so. cal
United States of America
My mechmate is on 8'x2' caster with brakes. I dont have any sort of leveling feet. Its always on the wheels. I move it around alot and set the brakes and forget about. Never causes me any problems and its nice to be able to move it anytime I want by myself.
Old Fri 11 December 2009, 12:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Rob's MM on wheels can be seen here:
A hidden MM revealed after more than a year #35 - Southern California
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 03:48
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
From the car Lift comment sounds like you have good height. Have you thought about suspending it from the roof when not in use? (A flying MM would be new!)
Old Sat 12 December 2009, 21:26
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
WOW!!! I would have thought any machine needs good anchoring, you had just defy another fundamental rules I'd been practicing religeously...
Gerald, your design never stop to amaze me! Keep em coming!!!
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 10:19
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...now I should have taken pictures when I chain-hoisted my machine to the building ceiling and flew it up to load the HUGE block of foam I couldn't get in the machine!

...it was one of "those" days.

Sean
Old Sun 13 December 2009, 23:32
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
This is really mind boggling... I'll put custor wheels on my shopping list...
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 00:11
woody
Just call me: Rob #35

so. cal
United States of America
Ken make sure you get casters with a brake on them. I can tell a difference if I run the mechmate without the brake set, it shakes alot more. I got mine from ebay. They were about $100 for all four brand new. They have a polyurethane coating on them. I cut the legs of the table shorter to account for the height of the wheels so the table wasnt too high for loading sheet goods onto it. I am so glad I put the wheels on. When I moved into a new shop we just wheeled it onto a car trailer and didnt have to take the machine apart. Made it alot easier.
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 00:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
"Trailer jack wheels" are also an option.
Old Mon 14 December 2009, 02:33
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
This is great, as I foresee a high probability that I'll be moving. A good set of caster wheel with breaks or jack legs will be a better solution then a detachable table.
I even has additional option to skate around the workshop just for fun.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read