MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 02 July 2012, 01:25
litemover
Just call me: Chris

Auckland
New Zealand
Now Cutting! - Auckland NZ

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help in helping me to decide to go with the Mechmate open source router. I decided on this one because it is really a no brainer to go with based on the performance and reliability of the machine as compared to aluminum one's with deflection problems.

Anyhoo, I do have a bit of a dilemma that I could use help with. I will be needing to order electronics, and anything I can stuff onto an airplane masquerading as a golf kit of bike kit, etc.. In other words, I will have enough space to bring from america all the parts that I can, which would fit in a golf or ski, even kayak sports case, up to 40kg. maybe 45. I am wanting to bring anything expensive or hard to get a hold of. In the country I live in, most electronics are quite expensive in comparison to America. So any recommendations would be fantastic .

Also, what sort of router bits should I bring with me? Will be doing quite a bit of cutting of plywood, MDF, aluminum, acrylics, and polycarbonates. Also relief sculptural MDF stuff, and wood. Can anyone recommend some premium bits that don't wear that fast. I travel back and forth from America quite frequently, and would prefer to buy my parts in America as much as possible.

Many thanks,
Chris
Old Mon 02 July 2012, 22:03
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Merged to Parts Roundup - Auckland NZ

Hi, just wondering, how heavy and how large is the parts kit?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 04:34
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I can ship to you. You need to get a freight forwarding company. I may be able to help with that.

I can also ship you the electronics control box parts as well. I can pack each pretty good and also put them in wooden crates. Each weighs about 100 lbs if you get them packed good. I can't recall the weight limit but if needed we can split it all out over 3 boxes. But for estimates on freight figure on the max weight the carry will ship and these boxe sizes.

29x19x8 - Laser Parts Kit
22x22x12 - Control Box Kit

Also if your coming to the states, I can ship the stuff to your states address each time you come.
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 15:14
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
I can ship to you. You need to get a freight forwarding company. I may be able to help with that.

I can also ship you the electronics control box parts as well. I can pack each pretty good and also put them in wooden crates. Each weighs about 100 lbs if you get them packed good. I can't recall the weight limit but if needed we can split it all out over 3 boxes. But for estimates on freight figure on the max weight the carry will ship and these boxe sizes.

29x19x8 - Laser Parts Kit
22x22x12 - Control Box Kit

Also if your coming to the states, I can ship the stuff to your states address each time you come.
Ok, great, thank you. That may work. I think if I at least order the parts that would be impossible to get done there, I'd be in good shape. Shipping costs a fortune from here to there though, and 200 lbs might be fairly pricey.

Would it be possible to just purchase the laser cut parts that require bending, and then get the rest shipped cut there?

Many thanks again for the help,
Chris
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 15:34
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
In the end it would still probably be cheaper to ship you all the parts after you get a "one off" price and the time and effort needed to find someone who will do that small of an order.
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 16:13
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
The parts I've gottten from Mike have all been top notch.
I'd be leery of buying the first set a new vendor attempts to produce as a one off.
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 19:41
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
In the end it would still probably be cheaper to ship you all the parts after you get a "one off" price and the time and effort needed to find someone who will do that small of an order.
Ok, sounds good. Probably right. Is there a price list somewhere?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 21:20
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Laser Head?

Was just wondering about attaching a laser head to one of these. Has anyone done this yet? Seems like it would be entirely possible.

Chris
Old Tue 03 July 2012, 23:24
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Gecko 213v drivers any good?

Is there any benefit to going with the G213V from Gecko?

They say they are configurable in steps. Also, will the new gecko with a motion controller in it be any good to use with mechmate?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 02:59
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
For cutting it would be possible but not for engraving, as you need a lot more of speed and acceleration for that.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 03:03
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
You can do it any way you want. If you see that someone posted using something than its possible. If you don't then its up to you to try that.

We all run our drives in 1/10 microstep, its because that is smallest microstep resolution bigger than the motor positional error. All geckos work 10microsteps, this G213V has a switch to adjust it. You could use it but only if you need 1/5 or half stepping to gain more speed at same mach3 kernel speed
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 03:39
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
That would be fantastic for cutting. Especially as an alternative to router for smooth edged detail work.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 03:41
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Great, thank you.

CC

Last edited by domino11; Wed 04 July 2012 at 07:38.. Reason: No need to quote previous post
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 04:25
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Just be prepared to pay 1-2 mechmate costs for a nice laser source
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 05:46
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Have you done any research at all on your own?
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 07:37
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Chris,
Try doing a search for things on the forum. A quick search for 213v turned this up. Here for the answers to your question. Take note particularly of Brad and Mike Richards responses.

Also no need to use quotes if the reply is to a previous post. See Using quotes when replying to a post - only use if essential please

Last edited by domino11; Wed 04 July 2012 at 07:41..
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 14:05
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren salyer View Post
Have you done any research at all on your own?
All I've been doing is research the past couple weeks on this. And really grateful for all your help as I don't have a lot of time left before I have to get back to NZ. I've literally changed my return flight in order to source these parts and buy what I will need in order to build this while in the US. So please excuse me if I am asking a lot of questions that would likely be found after hours of reading through the forum. Kind of up against a deadline before having to fly away.

Advanced electronic parts in New Zealand are very difficult to come by. In most cases, they would just be special ordered from the US, which would cost a fortune in shipping. Since I am a total newbie at building a CNC, I've first had to figure out how it all works, then figure out what pieces I will need to bring back with me from the US.

So again thank you guys for your help.
Cheers,
Chris
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 14:34
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
You can get a 150W laser tube for $1381.99 on Ebay right now. Might be useful in cutting plastics and acrylics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150W-CO2-Las...#ht_1761wt_791
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 14:46
Zouave
Just call me: Eric #115

Sacramento, CA
United States of America
What part of the states do you usually travel to?
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 14:50
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Great thanks! Very good answers indeed.
Chris
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 14:55
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
CA, orange county area Just hanging out till I figure out what to bring back with me. Seems like I will need:

Drivers
Motors
BOB
Smoothstepper Etnet
Wire
pulleys, cable carrier

Maybe some bearings?
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 15:03
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Anyone know which option I should tick when ordering the G203V:
CW/CCW, Standard, or Vacuum?

Thanks,
Chris
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:11
danhamm
Just call me: Dan

Williams Lake B.C. Canada
Canada
Little bit more to it than that, laser power supply, laser controller, laser software, and the ability to make it go together.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:21
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Found a source for what pieces would be needed.

http://cnc-machines.host22.com/lasers-co2.html
and
http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/02...net-2-x-laser/

With a chinese 150w laser, it may be affordable to do?

Chris
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:28
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
Its a crappy glass tube. Not very precise and durable. You can get around 500 hours of work from that. They only last longer if you don't use them at maximum power.
Thats what all my laser cutter friends say. One got his machine on fire.

Build a machine, mount a cheap router, do some work and get to know your machine. Then upgrade at will and inform us so we can do it too
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:32
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
If you read a little bit of a G203V manual or similar stuff, or some posts on this forum
it should be clear that we use Step/Dir signals from Mach3.

Quote:
The G203V is available in a G203V-Vacuum version as well. This changes the auto current standby to 0% as opposed to 70%, allowing it to operate in a high vacuum environment with minimal heating problems.

The G203V is also available in a G203V-CW/CCW version. This means that rather than taking a step and direction input it takes a CW and CCW input on the step and direction terminals. This is only necessary if your machine outputs CW/CCW signals as opposed to step and direction.
So STANDARD version it is.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:44
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
If you are in a hurry, and don't know what to buy. Get the complete kit from MetalHead, lasercut parts, electronics, motors, control box etc.
You will get exactly what you need and without loosing weeks to source, ask on forums, and wait for delivery.
My advice.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 16:53
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Very good advice, Danilo.
Old Wed 04 July 2012, 17:48
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I agree as well, in this case. Think of it this way - even if MetalHead were charging 40% more than he should (which he isn't), you would still come out ahead of either ordering from home, or making a mistake by rushing here. It's a fair deal on proven configurations.
Old Thu 05 July 2012, 01:57
litemover

Auckland
New Zealand
Believe me, I would if shipping to New Zealand from LA weren't so expensive. 200 lbs quote in that size is well over $1500, not including port/duty. I don't have the budget to waste money on shipping steel unfortunately or I would. I will buy the parts for sure from Mike when I return, or even maybe before I leave to put together a US machine. I'm sure they are top notch as everyone has given them aces!

Sorry for being such a nuisance. I do appreciate the help. Thanks a lot for bearing with me here guys.
Chris

Last edited by litemover; Thu 05 July 2012 at 02:27..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read