MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 31 March 2008, 20:03
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards View Post
Looking back at post #70 where Gerald posted a drawing that showed various input devices connected to a box as well as an output connection going to the control box, we still need to define the STATE of each input and we need to define which output line each input uses.

So, who wants to define the STATE of each device?
Well, I've read and reread Mr. Richards' post several times and I've pondered the control systems for a while. I hate to admit it but I think this is over my head. As most of you are aware, I'm certainly no electronics whiz. I know I volunteered to try to figure this out but the crap I'm likely to come up with will most likely be worthless and only set us back. Sorry Gerald, Mike, and the rest of you guys.
Old Wed 02 April 2008, 10:58
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
box on gantry

Gerald, this is what I was thinking of doing on the gantry, as in post #70.
Does this look like it could work to you? Proximity sensors and relays are NO, so that when hot they are all in a closed state. All sheilding tied to box with star washers and terminal rings, also grounded one side only in control box.

I think two of the seven conductor will need to be dedicated to the voltage supply to the box (a +12v and a -12v). Which will leave 5 avaliable. I am only using two of the "three pushbutton type" stations so I think I will be okay with just the 7 conductor cable only.

This brings a 12vdc supply onboard the Mechmate gantry for anything else like laser pointers or lighting, ect. under the gantry.

Sorry my drawing res is kinda bad I can't figure out how to save as a photo from my CAD without pasting to clipboard first and it kills the res.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gantry box (2).jpg (62.5 KB, 2624 views)
Old Wed 02 April 2008, 11:36
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
When you do a screen capture from CAD, go for GIF format rather than JPG.

Will look at details later . . .
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 19:30
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Schematic for installation:
prox_layout.pdf

I received a message from Ed, but have also fielded a few queries from others on how the Proximity relays really work and how to wire them to the PMDX using only 1 input.

1 - refer to the pdf schematic link above. You can also see pictures of the installation in post 247 of my this thread.

Steps (and JR will keep me honest - I am nowhere near my machine right now to check things)

1 - wire according to schematic.
2 - set your mach 3 settings in the Ports and Pins box to input 15.(or your setting. For example. Map x - home to 15, map y - home to 15, map z - home to 15.
3 - I'll check my configs in the morning to see if I have it active hi or active low....I can't remember right now.

Mapping all the homes to the same pin number will allow mach 3 to cycle through the homing sequence and set the z, then y, then x.

In the Mach screen you push the long vertical bar (near the DRO readouts) to "refall" and it will run this sequence.

That is all. It works well and all the time.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 09:01
ekdenton

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
thanks sean, I have mine working now.

There were some issues though. I am using pin 12. Doesn't matter you can use any of the unused pins on J5 as long as you enter that pin in the ports and pins. Remember also (i didn't at first) to assign A to home to the same pin #. After grinding gears for a second I remembered my slave motor.

I had to reverse the homing direction by changing to home neg for X,Y and A in the homing window of mach 3. Z doesn't have to change.

Active low boxes stay unchecked so they be active high.

Only issue I have left is the travel to home speed is slow all the time not just the last inch.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 09:09
ekdenton

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
got the travel speed set now for 80% that is better
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 09:10
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdenton View Post
Only issue I have left is the travel to home speed is slow all the time not just the last inch.
Ed

Good progress.

That travel will always be slow as when the machine is homing, it does not know where the the last inch is, it only knows to look for a limit switch somewhere in that direction. Its best to jog close to the limits and then "refall".

If I remember correctly, the big iron machines like Multicam will not allow you to jog until it is referenced, but Mach3 allows it.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 09:14
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Alan,
Your very correct. If you lost the home on my big multicam, you could not jog the machine except at "seek" speed. Which is the same slow speed it looks for the home switch. A real bummer if you lost home in the parked gantry 10 feet away from home. It took 10 minutes to rehome the machine!

Ed....great to hear you got it all worked out.

SEan
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 17:13
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
Ed

Good progress.

That travel will always be slow as when the machine is homing, it does not know where the the last inch is, it only knows to look for a limit switch somewhere in that direction. Its best to jog close to the limits and then "refall".

If I remember correctly, the big iron machines like Multicam will not allow you to jog until it is referenced, but Mach3 allows it.
Here's a thought. Could a proximity switch be used to change the jog (feed) speed. If so, theoretically speaking, one could use two proximity switches set a few inches apart. When the first one is detected it will slow down the jog rate so you would not over run the second one when homing.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 06:36
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I'm only using Mach 3 on the test bench, not on my machine, so I'm not fully aware of the day to day sequence of events that you use when starting up your machines; however, on my machine, I manually jog the X and the Y axes to a point about 2 inches from the proximity sensors, and then run my homing routine. The manual jog, even from opposite ends of the machine, takes only a few seconds. I move the Z-axis to a point about 1/2-inch above the contact plate before running the Z-Zero routine.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 09:33
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Mike,
I do the same thing. It only takes a few seconds to get close, then run the routine. Works like a champ - every day.

Sean
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 09:55
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I just checked, it takes 16 sec. to home 101" (full table length) on my machine.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 11:04
dmoore
Just call me:

Dead?

I really liked where everyone was going with a "professional" control box mounted on the y-Car. "Richards" - would it be possible to get a design based on the last few posts?
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 11:45
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Yes, but you need to included expansion, please.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 19:58
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
It looks like we're making this much too difficult. Look at the 7408 chip and the 7430 chip to see how many inputs can be combined to make one official input. Typically, all the limit switches can be connected to the same input. In the same manner, all of the proximity switches can be connected to one input. All that is normally needed is one "glue" chip like the 7408 or the 7430 to handle everything.

Two weeks ago, I had to deliver a very simple CNC type device to the Maker Faire in San Mateo, California. It used three N/O switches and one proximity switch in its circuit. The whole circuit cost less than $10, including a proto board, 4N25 opto-isolators and wiring.

Sometimes, it seems like we try to find the most difficult way to solve a simple problem. All of the suggestions on this thread would work, but most are overly complex.
Old Fri 16 May 2008, 21:22
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

I have not seen any better than Mr. Richards.
Old Sat 17 May 2008, 09:55
ekdenton

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Gerald's circut drawing works good , that is how I did mine. I have power now at the gantry I used a jack like in the photo below and wired as in my drawing earlier in this thread. I had it all correct first try just didn't know enough about Mach 3 to know to hit the ref all home tab

If you use the microswitches you could maybe build the circut for less than $10, if you don't include the cost of the enclosure box. I think the concern was on the microswiches was durability and longivity in the dusty enviornment? The advantage of capacitive proximity sensors that some are using from factorymation is that they are sealed from dust and moisture and although nothing is foolproof, probably will be more durable than the microswitches. At least that is what I gathered from reading this thread from the beginning and some of the personal pages.

Old Sun 18 May 2008, 00:15
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I may have mislead when I gave the $10 figure. The $10 is for the glue chip and the proto board. It does not include the limit switches/proximity sensors. The proximity sensors that I use cost about $75 each (with cable). The 22mm push-button switches that I normally use cost about $15 each.
Old Tue 20 May 2008, 12:33
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Sean,
After reading a few post on this proximity limits, I’m still very curious to see how you type of installation fits on the Y car.
I’ve seen your pics from your thread #247 and David’s new ones, but David uses Diell BIG 18mm in a different holder approach.
If not to much asking, could you post a few detail pics out of your Y car proxy installation ?
Thanks, Robert
Old Tue 20 May 2008, 20:54
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Robert,

Couldn't find your personal thread ...

Here are a couple of pictures of my Y car Prox. What are you wondering about?

That darn high gloss paint.
Attachment 1438

Attachment 1439
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y Prox 1.jpg (39.1 KB, 2384 views)
File Type: jpg Y Prox 2.jpg (49.7 KB, 2383 views)
Old Tue 20 May 2008, 21:18
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
Hi Sean,
After reading a few post on this proximity limits, I’m still very curious to see how you type of installation fits on the Y car.
I’ve seen your pics from your thread #247 and David’s new ones, but David uses Diell BIG 18mm in a different holder approach.
If not to much asking, could you post a few detail pics out of your Y car proxy installation ?
Thanks, Robert
Robert - the spec'ed proxy is 12mm for M1 18 022, so the 6mm isn't too much larger. I purchased the 18mm units due to cost - $10. If you maintain the same center line (1" from the back edge of the angle), using a different sensor shouldn't be an issue. I think the bigger issue is the total length of the sensor, it's distance needed to sense the rail and the height of the cable (right angle or straight).

I'd recommend waiting to build the stops until you have your gantry and y-car done and working. I'd then weld the end-stops onto the rail after you have mounted the stopper lips (M118022). Just in case....
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 05:38
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my Y car Prox. What are you wondering about?
Greg -

Can you tell me what that bracket bolted to the y-car next to the proxy sensor is for?

Thanks,
david
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 10:16
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Pics of the proximity mounts that I promised last night.

yaxis_prox.jpg
y axis

xaxis_prox.jpg
x axis

zaxis_prox.jpg
z - axis
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 22:56
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
A question about the proxy sensor holes. On the drawings Gerald indicates 20mm. My biggest drill is 18mm and I don't own a reamer. Can I leave it at 18mm ?
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 05:26
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
18mm "should" work for most cable connector ends. I happen to use a modular *make to suit your needs* style of QD connector for proximities. It's body needs a 19mm hole to clear. If you have the standard off the shelf factory made connector, the hole may work for you. If you want an easy larger hole, you can pick up a Greenlee (TM) or similar variable stepped drill bit that will makes holes from 1/4" up to 7/8" - (7mm to 24 mm ) The bit is around the 40 dollar range, but Harbor Freight has them for around 20 dollars US.

...and yes, the y chain bracket is placed just off centerline on the y car. You can see it just above the sensor in the photo. The mamba parts were not release yet when I built my MM. Thus, I had to improvise my E chain bracket and support from scratch and guidance from Gerald across the pond on clearances and location suggestions.

Have a great day.
Sean
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 05:45
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
I think Kobus is talking about the 20mm proxy target holes in drawing 10 10 246
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 06:16
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

How big around are your proximity sensors? If they are smaller than 18mm you should be fine.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 06:21
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
JR,
Thanks...typing before coffee dangerous! 18mm fine for target hole as long as your centermark and drilling is accurate. The 12mm sensors I used work fine on 13mm holes in other applications.
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 06:47
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I have not bought the proxy sensors yet. So when it comes to that I must just make sure that they are smaller than the sensor target hole (18mm)
Old Thu 22 May 2008, 13:54
dmoore
Just call me:

I wonder what actual size the holes have to be to break? It would seem that sensor type, distance from hole, metal used, etc all have a part to play. Does anyone in the automation world have some input on this?

I did find this:

http://web1.automationdirect.com/sta...k910series.pdf

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read