MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Rails & Rollers
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 03 May 2008, 10:16
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That's the height adjusting bolt/screw that rubs/rides on top of the rail? (not quite 15mm )
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 10:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kobus, how long did it take you to cut the angles?
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 11:04
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Quote:
"tipping" the skate the method was to simply make the leading edge of the skate lower than the aft.
I too used this method for faster grinding, then for final passes run disk parallel to the edges. When disk is used parallel it stops grinding after some time and become hot. So this method is perfect.
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 11:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
What did you guys do to stop the skate at the ends of the rails? Did you weld on a temporary stopping block to hit against the skate?
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 12:27
DMS

Rajasthan
India
I simply used G clamp.
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 19:50
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
David,
That was me.

I tack welded a washer on the end so I had a nice positive stop while grinding. I was short on clamps and plentiful on washers!
...just another way - not the best, not the worst
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 21:59
cobra427mnsi
Just call me: Paul

Leamington, Ontario
Canada
I tack welded a washer on each end as well. If you use a C clamp (G clamp), the rail needs to be a little longer to allow for the clamp jaws.

Paul
Old Sat 03 May 2008, 22:01
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The tilting of the skate can done left or right. You can either make the leading edge of the disk cut up or down. I would suggest that cutting down is the better option . . . . .to avoid the burr on the top face where the height screw rides.

Old Sun 04 May 2008, 01:44
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I did the FRONT part down and it worked for me. With my little 500W Bosch it still took me about a hour on each Y-Rail. I clamped a piece of angle iron with a F-Clamp at each end for stops.
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 15:44
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I think we just need to clarify the difference between "cutting" and "grinding"

The cutting takes place with the skate level - that is to remove the strip of the angle iron above the desired rail height.

The grinding takes place with the angle grinder held at a 45 deg position to enable the grinding of the bevel - its in this position that of a slight leading edge down attitude is beneficial. As Sean stated, the last few runs are taken with the skate level.
Old Sun 04 May 2008, 20:59
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Also, two different types of disk are used for the two different procedures....
- thin Pferd disks for cutting (about 1 - 2 per rail)
- thick standard disks for bevel grinding (one is enough for all the work)
Old Sun 11 May 2008, 21:37
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Gerald.
When I posted "tipping" the skate the method was to simply make the leading edge of the skate lower than the aft. Easily achieved by setting the 15mm adjusting bolt about 1/2 turn offest from the other. The final couple passes run perfectly flat for a final polish.
Once I figured that out in the beta model. The rails cut 3x as fast and with far less disk wear.
No modifications needed. Just a user manual!
Sean
I second the slightly off-set adjustment nuts. The other thing I learned was that when the skate gets hard to push on the rail, take a wet rag and clean the vertical edges of the rail.
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 23:07
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Update on my progress is not so good. Last night I started grinding the X-rails with a brand new 850 watt Einhell grinder. At first I notice a lot more power than my old 500watt Bosch that I used on my Y-Rails. But after about 40 minutes...poof...smoke...no more grinder. Just shows, some things are tougher in life than others. The Bosch is about 10 years old, did a lot of hard work, but is still going.
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 23:56
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
It looks like we are going to have to add a "Kill" register at the top of the forum for all the dead grinders... There is much to be said for a good brand name.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 00:13
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Good idea Alan. I thought Einhell was German...same as Bosch, but it just show you. I think it has to do with the new stuff. They are made to last just soooo long, then we are forced to buy a new one and the company smile. They did not think that we can kill it in the first day.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 00:24
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Einhell is either Swiss or German, but in name only. There must be a reason why one 500W grinder costs R299 and another one costs R899 - you gets what you pay for.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 01:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
No wonder, this one was R230.00 from Trade Centre
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 08:02
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Gentlemen,
I think you are pushing your grinders to the limits. I am using Bosch G-100, 670w, 3.0 A, 11000 rpm, 100 mm with success. I grinded my Rails in staggered manner, few minutes grinding then few minutes rest (for cooling), when its head become quite hot, can't touch with fingers I stop and let it cool for some time.
Another thing to watch that don't take big bite i.e. don't dip grinder too much, which put a lot of strain on grinder. Tilt method works fine with small passes and since contact surface is less, it means less load on grinder. For final passes grinder disc may be run parallel to rails. For smooth movement little greasing on horizontal surface of rails (under verticle bolt) makes significant changes and smoothens the passes (as Gerald has said in some post). Also don't put lot of hand pressure on grinder. A uniform pressure is required for uniform result.
Although it takes more time, but it saves grinder and results are also good.
I learnt this from experience. If I am anywhere wrong, correct me.
Thanks.

Last edited by DMS; Tue 13 May 2008 at 08:24..
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 09:25
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
I am using Bosch G-100, 670w, 3.0 A, 11000 rpm, 100 mm with success.
Exactly, the cheapies die without pushing them...
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 10:41
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Yeah, even cheapies work better if used right
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 13:40
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
I agree with Sharma, it requires more patience to get the good out of a cheapie!

but they do work, but if you are in a hurry - any but a few will burn away.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 22:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This one that died on me was not pushed hard at all. I set it up at an angle and took light cuts...just like I did with my old Bosch that is still running. The cut is so light that I grab the skate by the height adjusting bolt and pull it along...do about 2 passes and change it to the other side to do about 2 passes there before I drop it a little bit.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 11:24
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Well , may be bad luck! I once had a Chinese elcheapo run for almost 6 months used regularly for fabrication everyday which cost me 15USD (600INR).

some times you just lucky..... now I have a german AEC grinder, has been with me for a year now. No issues what so ever.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 11:58
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Dewalt makes 2 amp ratings in the small grinders, I used the larger one, I think it was about $100 at Lowe's. I burned up about 20 -4" blades on my x-rails, but is made nice cutts.

I found some 5-1/2" blades and used those to cutt my y-rails and thought at the time that larger blades would = less blade changes, that was a disaster. My y-rails were too uneven to use for rails, so I wound up having them cleaned up on a milling machine and used the hardened rails. I had to also have the bottom edge of the rails beveled for the inside radius of the angle. If I ever do any more rail grinding I will stick with the small stiff cutting wheels.

The larger diameter and/or thin blades will flex and make bad cutts even with minimal pressure.

Thought I would let others know that the wheel diameter and thickness will make a difference in the quality of your cutt.

Last edited by ekdenton; Wed 14 May 2008 at 11:59.. Reason: spelling
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 13:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
As far as I know, Einhell is Asian in origin. The German sounding name is designed to mislead.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 13:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
For cutting down the height with the thin disk, it is critical to make some very light cuts without flexing the disk at the beginning. Once the starter groove is established, then you can pile on the pressure.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 18:30
DMS

Rajasthan
India
Quote:
For cutting down the height with the thin disk, it is critical to make some very light cuts without flexing the disk at the beginning. Once the starter groove is established, then you can pile on the pressure.
I did exactly like this with thin disc and then before deep cutting I checked the cutting height with Jewellers lens at every few inches.
Old Wed 14 May 2008, 22:02
dmoore
Just call me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
Gentlemen, I think you are pushing your grinders to the limits.
I couldn't agree more - I burned through the Ryobi router (a cheap brand here in the US) and then burned though another Milwaukee (a better brand) and finished with a final Milwaukee. Even with the trip to the store to exchange it, it only took me less than 2-2.5 hours to do all the rails. I'm sure had I nursed the Ryobi along I could have made it work but the time would have gone up dramatically.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 08:23
DMS

Rajasthan
India
In both cases IMHO the reason is same, hot machine.
Old Thu 15 May 2008, 08:51
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
David,

Which Milwaukee did you buy and did it fit the skate perfectly? You posted that somewhere (I thought) but I don't find it.

My wife says I can't find anything, though!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read