MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 25 January 2018, 14:56
Medemt
Just call me: Dan

Avon, IN
United States of America
Anyone ever built a 5 axis router

Not sure where to put this so if it is in the wrong area, please excuse.

I have been looking at a lot of 5 axis CNC router builds and was wondering if anyone here has put the two additional axis on a MechMate. I did a search for 5 axis and nothing came up. I can see where some have discussed a four axis machine.

I was particularly looking to have the 4th and 5th axis mounted to the Z axis slide. I did not want to have some added device mounted to the table or elsewhere.

Just wanted to see what might have been done by those building (have built) MechMates

Dan
Old Fri 26 January 2018, 06:32
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Some of us have built 4th axis (rotary) and at one point talk of a 5 axis but I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything recently. I suggest taking a look through the builds.
Old Fri 26 January 2018, 10:38
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
I think there's a 5 axis machine here somewhere, but it's a plasma cutter.
Old Sun 25 March 2018, 18:48
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Build and add a trunion and you have your 5 axis machine however the software to program one is extremely expensive. That is most likely the reason you have not seen one. A multi-positional head creates some dynamic forces that I think would require some engineering to the current model design.
Old Fri 30 March 2018, 15:56
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
4axis yes - 5....I found that it was cheaper and easier to buy a used Funac or other Robotarm for the same use.
Old Sat 04 August 2018, 08:40
maxman
Just call me: Rory

Cape Town
South Africa
I tried it, and like the other posters said,

The problem is the high cost of software, Getting Delcam or mastercam to program a custom Kinematic post processor is very expensive.

definitley not hobby grade

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read