MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 18 July 2012, 18:43
Quadro
Just call me: Anthony #77

South Australia
Australia
Freelance Software Developers for CAM

Can anyone recomend or has used a software developer for a new CAM. There is a multitude of freelance web sites, it is a hard to choose. I have worked out the alogarithims just need someone to make it graphically appear on screen.
Old Wed 18 July 2012, 19:49
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Quadro,

I am the lead developer for LibreCAD 1.0.x branch and lead developer for the 3.0.x, release manager for 2.0.x branch.
Since you worked out the algorithms what is holding you back on implementation, and is there a way I can help?

Ries
Old Wed 18 July 2012, 21:10
Quadro

South Australia
Australia
Maybe algorithms is not the correct term. I have worked out the calculations for the speed and voltage at different angles.
The work flow for the software is the same as other CAMs exept I wan't to be able to select a line or arc from an enclosed polyline and be able to request bevel cut left or right in the direction of travel. When the software writes the Gcode it needs to be able to 'lookup' in a table of settings what adjustments are needed for the varing material thickness.
Are you implementing the abilty to create and export tool paths in the software?
Old Wed 18 July 2012, 23:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Ries, good to see you again!

Did you look at Anthony's videos in 5 axis plasma cutting head on a MechMate ?
Old Thu 19 July 2012, 16:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ries = another really smart MM owner.
Old Fri 20 July 2012, 07:19
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Sean, I will flattered

Gerald, I have seen the video's indeed, very impressive, we just which we could mount a spindle on that

Anthony,
In LibreCAD I have started last your the ability to generate G-Code from drawings. But then decided to work on LibreCAD 3 version because the code really needed a update. So I haven't worked on G-Code generation anymore.

However,
I can properly can get you into contact, or through the LibreCAD mailing list with people that have experience doing this. Usually we hang out on the IRC channel (LibreCAD, cam, linuxcnc) and there are some very smart people over there.
I know at least one guy Dan Heeks http://heeks.net/ , he wrote Heeks CNC and HeeksCAD that is doing freelance work and he should be able to have his (open source) CAD/CAM tool to get modified for your needs, it already does g-code generation using opencamlib (written by awallin) and using it's own plugins.
Old Fri 20 July 2012, 07:54
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ries,
I have actually put a drill motor, with a flexible shaft on a 5 axis bridgeport for light polishing of dies. I wouldn't mind doing that on this b/c head for foam carving at all!

The only drawback is the flexible shafts duty cycle is poor - roughly 30 days they need replaced. Put perfect for those "special" needs.

Best,
Sean
Old Fri 20 July 2012, 16:30
Quadro

South Australia
Australia
Ries,
The 'tool carrier' is actually designed to acept a smaller spindle, the width between brackets is 90mm. The mounting hole for the plasma is the same size(+/- 1mm) as my diegrinder and flame cutter so swapping tools is easy for me. I wouldn't be mounting 4kw spindle and rip mdf at full depth, the leverage would be to great to maintain position. My gut feeling is 1.5k max.

If you could put me in contact with someone that would be good and I can brief that person with more information.

Thankyou Anthony
Old Sun 22 July 2012, 13:18
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Anthony,

I did contact Dan and Awallin, but didn't get a mail yet.
If you can, can you send me your mail address in a PM?

However,
when I think about it, if you are using LinuxCNC you can have what you want 'build in' into your controller using the Kinematics module. When you builds you math as such a module, your g-code generator doesn't need to have knowledge of your machine anymore.
You can just say 'cut this or that' and LinuxCNC + kinematics will transform that 'in real time' into appropriate movements of your motors.
May be you have seen the hexapods machines somewhere? When run in LinuxCNC the people send normal g-code to these hexapods and the kinematics modules will change that in appropriate motor movements.

Here is documentation around that idea: http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/mo...inematics.html

Using Vismach (http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Vismach) you can even create a 3D version of your machine to start developing in inverse kinematics and test it without sitting behind the router.
Old Sun 22 July 2012, 15:33
Quadro

South Australia
Australia
Ries,
The kinematics module is provided with a tilt angle value (A axis word in g-code) and it maintains the direction of the tilt to be perpendicular to direction of XY movement all the time, regardless of the motion type (G1, G2, G3, G5 for Nurbs splines etc.).
Positive A value will point the nozzle to the left of the toolpath, negative A value will point the nozzle to the right of the toolpath.

LinuxCNC can not make make decisions with which direction(left or right) to make the bevel and what speed and voltage settings due to the different metal thickness as this is non linear.

Anthony
Old Sun 22 July 2012, 18:52
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Anthony,

I never used the kinematics module myself in EMC2. However, and this is just a thought. with G41 and G42 (Cutter compensation) LinuxCNC 'knowns' what the inside and outside is of your paths.

It wouldn't surprise me if this (G41/G42) information is also available within the kinematics module.

If the thickness of the materials various per job (not thickness per location on the plate itself) then this can be programmed/set before each job and you can fairly easy modify the axis screen using pyvcp (http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/hal/pyvcp.html) to add such capability so you can set the material type and thickness using the UI before you start the job. Voltage calculations could also be controlled like this (or using a additional uc).

Just trying to give you a possible option that I think should be researched before jumping into writing a g-code generator.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read