MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 21 January 2009, 09:03
SteveE
Just call me: Steve

Louisville, KY
United States of America
Way over my head...

I'm just at the starting point of building a mechmate. I am fully capable of the mechanical build. BUT the electrical part of it has me sweating big time. I don't own nor know how to use a multimeter and all the talk in the electrical section of this forum is way over my head. I understand the concepts involved, just not the detail knowledge. JoeAlabama will be supplying the laser cut pieces for my build, so that has me wondering if anyone in the US is also assembling/testing and selling the electronic components that are needed. Hopefully this doesn't offend the intended purpose of this site. I'm good at what I know, and electronics isn't one of them.... By the way, the intended purpose of my future mechmate is to cut plywood and solid surface material for my cabinet/countertop business.

Thanks...
Steve
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 10:22
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Steve,
Dont worry about it. There are a lot of people here that will be able to help you out.
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 10:35
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
You can handle it Steve. I'm no electrical wiz and I did it. In my thread, I listed all of the electrical components I ordered. After that, it was simply a matter of reading the posts and studying the wiring diagram. It will start to make sense if you dig in. Ask questions if you don't understand.
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 10:36
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
CandCNC.com control box components and full box solution
Bob CampBell's control box components and full box solution
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 15:35
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Steve,

If you can build the mechanics, you can build the control box. I said the very same thing you just did in my first post. Gerald, if he remembers, can attest to that. But... my box worked perfectly, first time. I spent the time to draw every wire in CAD and stare at it for a while. That was my way of figuring out what does what. By the time I drew it, I understood it. Basically, if you can do plumbing, you can handle it. By the way, even though my box worked perfectly on the first try, much of the discussion on the forum is still over my head. Just goes to show that you that skill and knowledge can be measured in degrees. I certainly learned enough to get it done.

This new capability that I have was gift-wrapped for me by the grace, knowledge and skill of the best community (this forum) on the web.

If you want to talk live about it, just pm me and give me your phone number. I'll give you a call.

Ever onward.
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 16:04
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I agree with what others are saying. There are people that will help you along the way. Learn as much as you can but push forward but at a pace that is good for you. Gerald's design is a solid machine and works great. Even us that have no experience can build one of these fine machine with the help of the members on this forum. You have to take your desire and move out of your comfort zone and build.
Old Wed 21 January 2009, 22:07
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Yes Steve,
Same worries here. I draw up my circuit first and show it to a lot of people and the supplier of the mach3 board before I start wiring. Took me a long time to do the wiring because it was the first that I ever done. I am very close to finish my Kitchen project. I am still going to put my welding helmet on when I flip the power switch.
Old Thu 22 January 2009, 01:38
William McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Electrical Knowledge

Steve...

I just finished my build and had never welded, done electrical, or transposed mm and inches. With Gerald's (and other members help, the only problem I had was a wrong connection on the PMDX and a MACH3 setting I hadn't checked off. The downloaded schematics were more or less foreign to me, but relays, switches, etc. were explained several times in several posts over the year or so I spent building the Mechmate.

When I finally finished it (first week of January) I just had an electrician come out, spend a half hour checking the wiring and testing for grounds, shorts, etc. and turned it on. It worked flawlessly... except that my 1st cut ended up a mirror image of what I was attempting.

Seems as though my biggest problem was the one I least expected... finding someone in my area to do the logos for me so I can get a number. It has been the best schooling I've had in the past 30 years or so... and learning was half the fun...
Old Thu 22 January 2009, 07:08
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Bill,

Many of us got the MechMate logo's from Joe (jbmclain). He now includes them if you order the Laser Cut Parts. But, the logo's were not yet included when I ordered my Laser Cut Parts, so I placed a second order. Amazing shipping speed.

Hope to see you get your Serial Number soon!

Regards,
John
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 10:24
travisc
Just call me: Travis

Louisville Kentucky
United States of America
Steve,

I just stumbled upon this post.
I too am thinking about building a Mechmate. I have a Joes2006 and a Phlatprinter
I Live in Louisville as well, I have a friend in Floyd Knobs that has 2 Laser cutters, can cut up to 1/2" steel. I told him of the Mechmate, and he is intrested in looking over the drawings, he may build one for his shop to cut plastic, the lasers leave burn marks.
He may be intrested in cutting out parts for the Mechmate, he also has a powdercoating systen to. I have a vinyl cutter so I can cut the logo's.

Travis

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read