MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 22 December 2011, 17:14
WTI
Just call me: James

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Anyone try the air cooled Chinese spindles?

So we have seen success with the 3kw water cooled Chinese spindles, but how about the air cooled ones all over eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3KW-AIR-COOL...item4aaabc7d3f

I notice the same box and same "Germany" (LOL) bearings as the water cooled ones.

Noise? Replacing bearings? Mounting?
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 20:10
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
So I was thinking on the air cooled units. How loud are they compared to regular routers? You may as well go with this

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-1-2-HP-Router/H7022

It is close in the HP rating and I bet the warranty is better. I know you can get the higher HP rated spindles, but in the 3KW range you may as well use these high end routers?
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 21:12
WTI

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Those Chinese Milwaukee routers are nowhere near the HP they claim.

If you figure a conventional router motor is at best 80% efficient, then there is no way to get more than 2.75 HP from a 120v 20 amp breaker (and the Milwaukee is rated at only 15 amps).

Also, don't forget that the router will not let you control the speed like a spindle can. You would have to go and turn the speed control knob every time.
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 21:21
WTI

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
There was a thread on one of the woodworker forums where a guy plugged his 3.25 HP Porter Cable router into a "Kill A Watt" or "Dr Watt" meter and it only was 1.2 HP
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 21:33
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Kobus has used this spindle on his machine already - and I have on mine too.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=686&page=44
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 22:02
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Correct...and if it is 3kW or 2.99999909 kW....or even 2.5kW.......I don't crunch the numbers. It works for me and the price is right.
Compared to my normal routers I used in the past this thing is WISPER quit.
I run mostly at 12000 rpm. If you run 24000 rpm it does get a bit louder.
Doing 3D carving where it only takes of a small amount of wood it is pleasant to be with it in the same room. But when you put a 1/2 inch cutter in and PUSH it you better put those ear protectors on.
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 23:05
WTI

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Very cool guys!

Anyone replace bearings yet?
Any problems?
What do mounting holes look like?
Did they come with collets, or did you have to buy them?
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 23:11
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
No bearing replacement yet... I cut with light cuts only not pushing machine too hard.
Mounting holes are 6 tapped holes into the body at the back.
Comes with 1 x collet. Ordered a full set seperately.
Old Sat 24 December 2011, 13:17
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTI View Post
Also, don't forget that the router will not let you control the speed like a spindle can. You would have to go and turn the speed control knob every time.
You can use a Super PID to control a router with Mach3. They work very well, extend the rpm range, and provide more low rpm power than stock.

www.superpid.com
Old Sat 24 December 2011, 18:42
WTI

Detroit (Michigan)
United States of America
Yes, I've seen the Super PID and it looks cool.

But, that makes the router cost more than a real spindle - so we are paying more for less HP and a harder to mount solution.
Old Sat 24 December 2011, 20:02
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTI View Post
Yes, I've seen the Super PID and it looks cool.

But, that makes the router cost more than a real spindle - so we are paying more for less HP and a harder to mount solution.
Many people say the Huangyang (sp?) VFD's are junk, and end up paying $200 for a Hitachi or other high quality VFD, so a router and Super PID are not really more money.
Then factor in that you can change bearings and brushes in a router very cheaply, and the spindles are basically non repairable, from what I've read.

I've spent a lot of time trying to decide between chinese spindles and routers for the new dual spindle machine (non mechmate) I'm building, and right now I'm leaning toward routers.

But, if you really need the 3Kw of power, then it's no contest, and the spindle wins every time.
Old Sun 25 December 2011, 10:56
danhamm
Just call me: Dan

Williams Lake B.C. Canada
Canada
I have used the 3kw Huangyang since Mar. 2011 the only problem I had was on startup, it started up backwards and the fan is threaded on top of the shaft and it torqued it off. after that its been problem free, runs cool, and low amperage, I do a lot of aluminum and run it at low speeds, I have purchased a spare for it ..so kinda abuse it just to see how it responds.
Have used it as low as 6000 rpm.
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 14:59
marko cro
Just call me: Marko #107

Dakovo
Croatia
If you want to check the noise of the spindle. I have made a video @ 24000 RPM
Its 1.5 KWh spindle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uig4z...Pbq5GUzfo0pju5
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 16:52
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
I'll add a note as to how the manufactures of small power tools rate horse power for their tools. It is measured by locking the rotor/armature from spinning while power is applied. If this condition were to remain for more than just a second or two the motor would burn up. By measuring the high amperage draw during this short time, marketing can claim higher horse power, because amps * voltage = wattage which can be converted to horse power.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read