MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 19 June 2009, 05:37
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Edge Banding

Folks I was searching for a edge banding machine and came across this machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atH28Ty4-rE

it will cost me around USD 1000 landing in India from China -

do you folks have any better idea for a edge banding machine (manual) or can you folks propose any DIY method

I am going to use 0.45mm thk PVC edge tape in the manufacturing.

also anyone know a economic glue supplier?

I need your help folks - kindly help me.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 05:51
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
We use a flat clothes iron for small jobs, the band is is already coated with melt glue.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 06:37
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Yup same here, the wife gets real upset when I do edge banding.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 06:37
javeria

Bangalore
India
G' is that still a PVC band? - here the supplier told me that only melamine bands will have that coating of glue and are limited in colors - is this true?
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 07:18
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Irfan there are a couple of questions that I would like to ask you about first?

1.the volume of edging that you are going to do?
2. what is the max thickness that you would eventually edge ( thickness of edging )?
3.what is the longest board that you are going to edge?
4.the space that you have available to work in your workshop?
5.the size of the roll of edging that you are going to use?

There are other options also, what I do like is that one can do curved edges and that will be the only reason i would buy one of those.
I have two edgebinders in my shop the one is a small machine ( will post picks on monday )that you have to use manual presure to push the board trough the wheel that spread the glue.(nice machine easy to fix )

The other machine is the big one where you put the board in the one side and it comes out the other side with all sides trimmed.(nice to have sh.t to fix lot to go wrong)

The reason for the questions:

1.If you would be doing a lot of edging that hand held machine can be heavy, you are using a machine with glue that have a melting temp of wel over a 190 deg and trust me I know that glue comes on your skin it takes it off.It is also much better to have control over your board than the machine which moves and is hot.If you wan`t to buy it make a better table for it so it will be stationary, you should have c cannel left from the MM so build one ( you will see on the pic`s).

2.you are using .45 mm thick edging now but would like to do thicker also and if you do thicker edging will it cut it once you are finished with the edge side .

3.it is much easyer to push a board than handle a machine have a table on both sides the same hight as the edgebinder(board can go nowhere)

the roll of edging is also heavy and if it is on the machine and it decides to start rolling of in all directions you have a machine in your hand
and edging all over the floor.

don`t get me wrong there should be pro`s and con`s with this binder but my input would be to have your machine stationary.

hope it helps
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 07:23
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Irfan get yourself another supplier

we do pvc, melamine,veneer with glue and with no glue colours to match all boards that we use.

And I must say the small machine do veneer edging better than the big one which cost 30 time more.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 07:25
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Heath and you have band aids on all your fingers once you are finished
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 08:05
javeria

Bangalore
India
1.the volume of edging that you are going to do?

upto 20 furnitures a day - starting out with 5 per day initially based on orders

2. what is the max thickness that you would eventually edge ( thickness of edging )?

at present speculating to 1 mm max

3.what is the longest board that you are going to edge?

max 72 inch

4.the space that you have available to work in your workshop?

very less you can see my tread for the pics its 20x20 and already have 2 cnc there

5.the size of the roll of edging that you are going to use?

I will cut pieces to length before using it

There are other options also, what I do like is that one can do curved edges and that will be the only reason i would buy one of those.

have a lot of curved edges - like the one you saw on the computer table I built.

1.If you would be doing a lot of edging that hand held machine can be heavy, you are using a machine with glue that have a melting temp of wel over a 190 deg and trust me I know that glue comes on your skin it takes it off.It is also much better to have control over your board than the machine which moves and is hot.If you wan`t to buy it make a better table for it so it will be stationary, you should have c cannel left from the MM so build one ( you will see on the pic`s).

Actually the machine comes with a table for mounting it stationary.

2.you are using .45 mm thick edging now but would like to do thicker also and if you do thicker edging will it cut it once you are finished with the edge side .

I have asked for a manual cutter and trimmer.

kindly let me know your supplier for the PVC -pre glued tape - at what temperature does the glue melt?

RGDS
Irfan
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 08:18
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
I have done several kilometres (miles for the folks across the ocean) of the stuff. Tried hot melt, looks good initially but comes off after a few years. Using a clothes iron leaves too many parameters unchecked: i.e. temperature, speed, pressure.

Method that I prefer is using normal contact glue. Clamp 5 boards together, glue side up. Use paint brush to spread the glue. Do three coats because the side of the chipboard is quite thirsty. It is easier to do long lengths and cross-cut later. Saw into the edging to prevent chipping.

Coat edging with one coat, leave both surfaces to touch dry. Place edging on side, press down hard with piece of wood and cut ends flush with pair of scissors.

It sticks like to sh#t to a blanket.

Lamello had trimming tool that with a blade that just slides across the board and cuts the edging flush. Cheap and very effective.

http://ec-images.acehardwareoutlet.c...ts/5286463.jpg

Done some jobs 20 years ago (in my own home), no problem.

To trim wood veneer, use a bastard file and push against the edging so that it comes off in little spirals. Takes a bit of practice.

Little bit more labour intensive, but the results are good and no capital outlay plus it saves a lot of space.
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 09:04
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I like the sausage machine way of doing it every minute that we are not productive it is gone forever ( time is money )
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 11:03
javeria

Bangalore
India
the business I am planning to start is very much dependent on fast deliveries - the furniture is custom built and home delivered with in two days.

but - labour is cheap here to - may be take that as a advantage and use the manual glue method - only thing is that it is very messy affair.

ah!

I will wait for Hennie to comment on the remarks I posted

RGDS
Irfan
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 23:47
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Irfan, I have received your e-mail.

Your components are not big so space is not that big issue.
I might suggest to modify their table with a more sturdier one, you need to put some pressure on the edgbinder to get a decent bond other wise it delaminates.The working temp of the glue is about 190 deg.You won`t use preglued edging as your edgbinder wil spread the glue for you and in your case a veneer edging will do the trick.I don`t know if your edging supplier can supply you with edging but if not just cut your own from the same material.
The boards that you use are they plywood?
Old Sat 20 June 2009, 04:40
javeria

Bangalore
India
yes Hennie -it will be double laminated plywood. I plan to use the PVC edges that to veneer - I don't want to finish the veneer just tape and dispatch.

So I will go ahead and order this edge bander. ???

Last edited by javeria; Sat 20 June 2009 at 04:44..
Old Sat 20 June 2009, 14:50
jan stransky
Just call me: jstransky

Banovce nad Bebravou
Slovakia
Wink Be carefull - temperature

I was working for 9 years in the furniture production and my opinion is that small bander can do all jobs required for furniture making in a small starting shop. But be carefull about temperature on thin ABS and PVC edges, we were working at 120 deg. celsius. Glue is spreaded on the edge and thin edge doesn't like high temperature.
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 04:27
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Irfan,go to "Felder" website they have the same edgebinder and it makes you think who copied who.also it looks like the built quality of their machine is better.The felder machine is probably priced more.I am in Jhb in a weeks time then I will have a look at it
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 07:54
javeria

Bangalore
India
Hennie - at 4000 USD Felder is just out of reach - I am actually struggling to get the money required for the edge bander. at 1000 USD landing it should be pretty cheap - like any other Chinese equipment it might not be upto the mark but I seriously think I can make it workable if there are any deficiencies.

anyways I can always test it for others.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 10:00
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
would be nice to have feedback on the edgbinder
Old Sun 21 June 2009, 12:53
jan stransky
Just call me: jstransky

Banovce nad Bebravou
Slovakia
Smile Miniprof

Just check http://en.miniprof.cz/ for detailed information
Old Wed 23 June 2021, 06:48
Dumitru Ivanov
Just call me: Muresului 9

Cluj-Napoca
Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan stransky View Post
Just check http://en.miniprof.cz/ for detailed information
Thanks for sharing! Really useful resource for the more technically-abled, but a bit too complicated for me.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read