MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 31 July 2010, 12:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This is what I like about the European Union

One charger to fit new mobiles as of next year: EU

BRUSSELS — New mobile phones sold in Europe as of next year should all work off the same universal chargers, the European Commission said on Friday.
"It is expected that consumers will be able to use the same, one-size-fits-all charger for mobile phones sold in the EU from the beginning of 2011," spokesman Dennis Abbott said.
A deal between major mobile manufacturers was agreed last year but "excludes phones which do not support USB data exchange," Abbott warned.
"However it is expected that most mobile phones will be data-enabled from 2011," he added

Just imagine how much clutter and waste will be reduced by such a decision!
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 16:23
bolingerbe
Just call me: Bryan #54

Clinton(Tennessee)
United States of America
I do agree I have four different cell phones at my house one for each of the bigger kids and two for me "1 for work 1 for personal usage" and none of them use the same charger. I just hope we do the same in the US.
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 17:42
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
But will cellphones still come with chargers, or do you need to buy one extra??
Old Sat 31 July 2010, 21:07
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hopefully the charger will be an optional extra.....maybe get a discount if you don't take the charger.

I have boxes full of old chargers and power supplies for cellphones, laptops, modems, printers, monitors, etc. which seem too good to just throw away.
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 00:41
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Modularity and interchangeability!

I wonder how they made the International Space Station modules? Did they fit or did they sent someone with a grinder, cutting torch, welder, hammer and a monkey wrench?

Worse is software, just do a File, Save As. Should be standard functionality but they are all different. Maybe that's why Ubuntu is smaller and more robust than Microsoft.

The old story about Bill Gates and the guy from Ford:

Bill Gates said that computers were getting smaller and cheaper (Moore's law). The guy from Ford retorted: Well, at least our cars don't crash four times a day.
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 03:16
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
You guys are missing the important point here. If you don't make it different, how can you claim your product is better. And if the recharger worked on every phone, what do you have to sell.

I agree it is a mess. When are you going to start using the same electrical plugs so we don't have to carry around different ones.

I know this one will get you talking..... when are you going to use inches and lbs!!!
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 03:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
....and long screws!!!
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 07:27
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Jan,

I have heard that in the past people designing on these things where using in the program Imperial in the US and Metrical in Europe.

It was not that one module would have been build 25.4 times bigger when a drawing was sent to europe, but during machining the imperial to metrical conversions caused rounding errors making things not fit perfectly anymore. If I am not mistaken they are all using metrical now for all drawings that are shared.

Nils, I think you are mistaken there, when are you going to use Metrical? A pound is not even half a kilo over there!!!
Old Sun 01 August 2010, 18:08
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
I know this one will get you talking..... when are you going to use inches and lbs!!!
The day we grow 6 extra fingers?

Go Metric/Decimal !
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 08:19
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
I have worked with lots of electronics and the non standardization for plugs for all kinds of electronics is a real pain. Waste is one of the biggest problems we face on this planet and we need to take steps to minimize it. Standardization will help here.

I work in inches and metric, due to the fact we here in Canada are faced with both. If we had to move to one system, the metric system is the most logical.
Old Tue 03 August 2010, 09:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I too work with both Imperial & Metric. The sole purpose of imperial system is to get everyone confuse.
Old Wed 04 August 2010, 10:31
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Ken, I came from Imperial and was very comfortable with it until I got to Taiwan almost a decade ago. After about two to three years of changing gears to metric, I have to agree with you. I now see why the greater majority of the world use metric. Simple, logical, and efficient.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read