MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 25 March 2010, 14:03
Arctic
Just call me: Mark

PA
United States of America
New Here PA, USA

Hello all, my name is Mark.

I've been playing with the idea of a cnc machine for awhile now.

Still tinkering with the idea of building vs a kit, maybe someone here can persuade me.

I have woodworking skills, and can have metal work done if need be.

I'm proficient in soldering, but not so good with making pcb's. I guess thats half the reason im interested in an in house cnc.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 16:43
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mark,

Have you been reading any of the threads?

There is no need to have to make a PCB to build a MM and there is no kit other than the laser cut parts.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 16:44
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Mark.
Have a look around and see what the MM is all about.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 16:54
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Welcome Mark. If you are looking for a cnc machine to mill PCBs, the MechMate is a slight overkill - Y'know, like swatting a fly with a steamshovel.

However, for woodworking it's very useful to have. As for the skills question, if you can handle woodworking and soldering, you can handle almost everything MechMate except for welding and tapping. And after you finish the project, you'll be a fair hand at both of those as well. With a minor degree in grinding and drilling
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 17:34
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Mark Welcome.

Do some reading through the forum .

There are a few custom parts, but the MechMate is a very doable project for anyone.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 18:10
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Where in PA you located? I live in Belvidere NJ. I think you should build a mechmate. You'll appreciate it more when your through How fast you get it done depends on whether you have all the money needed to buy everything you need to build it. That and how much time you have.

The mechmate is THEE best bang for your buck. Seriously. How good your mechmate is totally depends on you.

Plus if you build it yourself it will give you a good idea on how everything works. Its good hands on training.

I suggest you read through this forum and download the plans. Studying them good. dont get started until you are sure of how everything is.

Cheers.
Old Thu 25 March 2010, 20:47
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome!

If you need persuasion, you will get enough of them after spending quality time studying the plans & wealth of information available here.
Moreover, its also a testament to the depth of help you could get here.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 01:43
selbuss
Just call me: selbuss

Cha-Am
Thailand
Send a message via MSN to selbuss Send a message via Yahoo to selbuss Send a message via Skype™ to selbuss
Welcome Mark
Me to have start on a MM and for me there is mutch to learn before the machine is finished
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 06:26
SumBum
Just call me: Jay (Bum)

PA
United States of America
Welcome neighbor.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 09:25
Arctic
Just call me: Mark

PA
United States of America
Than ks for the welcoming

Sailfl, i'm just stating i'd kind of like a cnc so i could build PCBs

charles, im back near pittsburgh. Used to live in Harrisburgh, thats a trip i would have considered.

I'll have to start reading, i'm probably going to scale MM down if i attempt it. I'm more concerned with Plastics and circuit boards than wood working.

If i can fit a different router or spindle to this machine and adjust the dimensions to my liking, i may have to give it a shot.

As for welding and grinding, if i can't handle that i have friends who will.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 10:49
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Some dimensions can be adjusted, but overall this is a machine for larger scale materials needing 1 to 5 hp cutterheads. It is not an efficient design for workareas of under about a sq meter.

While we would love to have you build a MechMate, you should be sure that yur needs aren't better met with a tabletop design. You will need need at least 2 feet of extra floor area beyond the cutting size for a mechmate design, meaning that even a very scaled down machine will occupy the space of a twin bed.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 10:51
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Just keep in mind, if your going to build small enough for those types of projects, the MechMate is probably more than you will need.

But do read as much as you can on the subject of size in the forum.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 12:58
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I dont think you should limit yourself to a machine that can only cut small projects. If you do build a cnc machine you will be spending a good amount of money on it. I would make the biggest machine you can for your buck.

Because even if you dont plan on using your machine to make money or atleast make money cutting up bigger stuff. People will know you have a cnc router and will ask you to cut something for good money that you wont be able to do. I never like to say no to money.

Your machine could pay for itself. Plus it might inspire you. You might end up wanting to cut out bigger stuff in whoch then you will be kicking yourself because you made a small machine.

4' x 4' would be the smallest i'd go. And thats if I only had room for a machine so small. Because it doesnt really cost that much more to build a machine twice that size.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read