MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 January 2007, 10:08
Helge F. Holm
Just call me:

Space-saving vertical table

Anyone, ever considered the possibility of mounting the entire MechMate, vertically on a wall? Here I Norway I have seen some plywood board cutters mounted at a wall. The idea may seem stupid, but as long as the work piece is secured, the orientation of table doesn?t matter. The major benefit is floor space. Second is the fact that chips of material will fall to the ground a vacuum dust control system is not absolute required. However you may need the vacuum for securing the work piece. (*) One benefit for us office rats is that its easier to move a ½?, 4?x8? plywood while its vertical

Hope you all have inputs on wall mounting.

This is the solution for me. I hope to cut my own panels for an everlasting kayak project. It?s a stitch ?n glue design. + I have a disk, drawer and a head full of designs waiting for my own mill. Lack of floor space is a killer to most of my DIY projects. Therefore I came up whit this idea.

(*)
Is there a good patent for vacuum fixing of the work piece? I haven?t read all treads yet, (Got the link today), but can?t see any good designs o this. The problem whit vacuum is that it?s punctured as soon the tool cuts the boards. You may have several sections on the table with vacuum but still its difficult to secure panels properly.
Old Wed 17 January 2007, 15:01
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

U will need a good vacuum table. Every time u cut a piece it will loose a little bit of grip on the table if not vacuumed properly to the table. I'm not sure how you should make the vacuum seal for each piece on the table, but I think it would represent a problem for you no matter what you do. But also consider this, by tilting the table you will need some very strong Steppers for the Y car as it is quite heavy with all components mounted to it. Also when the Y car travels down again you will need something to act as a counterweight or else you will propably loose a lot of steps on the way down again. A Wall mounted circular saw is easier to use this way cause it is han operated and not mechanically operated as the X and Y car on the Mechmate.
Old Tue 03 April 2007, 20:51
Lee Wenger
Just call me:

CamTech makes a router that generally fits the description... http://www.camtech.ca/products/route...ceOverview.cfm

Is that what you were thinking?

I've always liked this idea due to the improved space utilization of this design but it seems to me that the idea is reliant on having a vacuum table. Or maybe a t-slot table at a minimum. I've also wondered about how beefy of a Y motor you'd need for such a design either that or a hefty gas spring or counter-weight.
Old Fri 04 July 2008, 22:34
jeffg123
Just call me: jeff

brick nj
United States of America
space saver??

Hello has anyone had any thoughts on building a wall mounted mech mate or a vertical one to save on space? I have been giving it some thought , anyone have input on this pros or cons. My thoughts are that it would save on floor space,if it was bolted to a block wall it would be very stable and the dust and chips would not build up on the work. my thought was to build it on a slope like a panel saw with with tracks across for clamping the work . I just wanted to know your thoughts?
Old Sat 05 July 2008, 05:10
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Jeff,

Have a look at what this guy did, not a Blue beast, but some grounds for your thoughts.
Robert
Old Sat 05 July 2008, 05:34
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Spacesaver
Old Wed 23 July 2008, 07:55
viktorcnc
Just call me: viktor

Stavanger
Norway
Vertikal Mechmate

Hi.
I read your post from last year about a vertical Mechmate. I've been thinking about the same for a long time, any progress on your front? Anybody else? Keep up the good work, this forum is simply the best. Regards Viktor
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 19:16
MAC2009
Just call me: MAC

West ST Paul, MN
United States of America
Wall mounted WechMate

I Have also given this Idea some thought.
Has any one have ideas or working on a wall mounted unit?

MAC
Old Tue 01 September 2009, 20:05
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mac,
I believe this is the only thread on this topic here. You can see from the post dates that it has stagnated. You will probably see more threads on this type of machine over at www.cnczone.com.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read