MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 21 November 2008, 21:47
tpworks
Just call me: Tom

Atlanta, GA
United States of America
Maybe you could use a dual port printer card in that Dell, This is similar to the one that I use for Mach.
Just a thought.
You would have to disable the onboard lpt port and turn off the power save features.
Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-PARALLEL-PRI...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by tpworks; Fri 21 November 2008 at 21:51..
Old Sat 06 December 2008, 09:26
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Progress report: well not much to report other than still having problems with the computers and input 13, tried 4 different computers and the problem keeps raising its head. Busy changing over to the CNCDirect board while waiting for the router mount brackets to come back from the laser cutters. Decided to go with the new (in SA) Bosch 1400 watt round body router (GMF 1400CE) as a proving unit before getting a spindle.

Getting parallel port cards, cables or anything over six months old is proving absolutely impossible in this town, I have managed to find a company that can make up parallel cables for me but any part that fits into a computer is just not available - and the sales staff at the computer suppliers are Sooooo Helpful??? - makes you think they have all only been working in the industry six months because if it doesnt have a USB port or contains the most up to date technology, it doesnt exist
Old Sat 06 December 2008, 11:31
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
How can I try and help you Alan? Want to phone me Monday at the office?
Old Sat 06 December 2008, 13:19
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Thanks Gerald, will do.
Old Sat 06 December 2008, 21:06
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I also looked at that router, can work,what did it cost in CT?
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 01:17
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Hi Hennie - Not cheap for its relative size but it does come with a range of good quality accesories that for the most part are not even available for most other brands, in fact not even for other models from the same manufacturer - Price from my friendly industrial supplier R3250.00, listed price is about R3500. It would be great if one were able to just buy the motor from them, but they only bring in the complete kit - warning - it comes with an 8mm and 12mm collet which is useful in our application but you will have to get the 1/4" and 1/2" collets as well (Bosch also has 6mm and 10mm collets available - and these are not reducing adaptors but actual on-size collet and nut combinations, as I said, good accesories)

I designed a holding clamp for this unit, but when I tried to get it made by a friend of mine with an engineering business, the quote to machine it as I wanted was almost as much as the whole kit . I then sent the drawing for laser cutting, I will do the rest of the engineering work myself and only send out the final bore machining which will be a whole lot cheaper. Laser cutting was not that cheap either R460 for 5 pieces (12mm steel) but as I am not a regular customer, I fall into the minimum charge category, I probably could have had two sets cut for about the same price - if I had known
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 01:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa

How does the cooling air get in and out of that router?
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 01:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Okay, I can see it in these pics:

http://www.werkzeug-news.de/news6/im...m1400ce-aw.jpg

http://www.ideo.si/nohtek/800/ideo_9968_slika22.jpg

The openings look relatively small - maybe this thing is a bit quieter than the rest?

In American convention, this would be a 2.5 HP router
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 02:00
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Not as noisy as my Ryobi or Makita but it sure aint no spindle
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 02:28
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
There is nothing wrong with the Ryobi or Makita which I have 2 Ryobi`s and one Makita but to get them to fit is stil some challenge.My thought on the Bosch was to make a temp clamp for one of the Ryobi`s and use it with the MM and cut a bracket for the Bosch out of aluminium( sorry Gerald I know You dont like aluminium but it would be nice to say that it was made on a MM)
I did get a quote from Hardware Centre in JHB and the price is about the same for the Bosch.

The Ryobi`s are model RE-601 industrial ( 2050 watts with 1/2 inch collets )
must say that the first one gave good service.The second one came at a good price.The only big draw back that i found with them is the collets don`t last that long and to get back up service is like trying to catch fish these days.
That was when the Makita was bought and must say it is a nice router and not as noisy as the Ryobi`s.
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 02:31
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
OK, I must ad on that once the MM is UP and RUNNING who needs a hand held router.
Old Sun 07 December 2008, 04:07
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
OK, I must ad on that once the MM is UP and RUNNING who needs a hand held router.
Unfortunately however much we dont want to admit it, we will always need a hend held and table mounted router in the shop, its not always feasible to do everything on the MM (putting a small roundover on the bottom of a cut out piece comes to mind)
Old Mon 08 December 2008, 10:30
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
EUREKA , its working at last (well at least for now - can you tell my positivity has taken a bit of a dive?)

Changed over to the CNC Direct BOB and there is no more toggeling input, it starts by remote switch and pauses by remote switch. One small problem, the on board relay on pin 17 is not switching the load - the relay is activating as I can see the coil move the contact arm, but the contacts must not be making propper contact, no biggie, moved that line to another relay, changed pin settings and the router output now switches on and off on command (on board relay is only switching a bigger remote relay that actually handles the current to the router)

Thanks to all who came with suggestions and help, especially Greg (Belli) of JHB.
Old Mon 08 December 2008, 10:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
You really are having a bad time with BOBs - both of those you have tried so far seem to have faults on them! Anyway you have learnt more about your machine than you ever wanted to know

Where can one download the specs on that CNCdirect BOB?
Old Mon 08 December 2008, 11:27
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
This is the instruction page that comes with the BOB. - some nice features, especially the 12V out to the inputs and the option of an onboard analogue output for the spindle speed control - it can also control 6 axes (at the expense of general outputs)

see here as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mach.pdf (33.3 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Alan_c; Mon 08 December 2008 at 11:34..
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 03:48
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
A legitimate Mech Mate

Whoo hoo, it cuts and produces dust, it can now rightfully call itself a cnc router

first cut.jpg
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 03:56
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Happy Xmas!
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 04:31
YRD
Just call me: Yuri #17

Brasilia - DF
Brazil
Talking

Whoo, hoo hoo

Congratulations
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 06:40
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Alan,

Sweet!

Persistance and hard work pays off! We were feeling for you during those weeks of struggling with the BOB(s).

Congratulations!

Regards,
John
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 06:50
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Well done Alan. Let the FUN begin. I am very happy with Greg's Bob and help. I like the scorpion. That is my sign.
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 09:04
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Nice Alan enjoy and have great fun with your toy.Agree with Kobus , Greg`s help is excellent.Would like to hear what you have to say about the bosch router.

Goodluck!
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 09:43
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Great Job Alan!!
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 11:17
William McGuire
Just call me: Bill

Weiser, Idaho
United States of America
Fantastic!
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 13:26
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Thanks all

The Bosch router seems like a good fit, there is a large volume of air blowing out at the bottom (enough to keep the area around the bit free of dust) The bottom end however does get quite hot to the touch (been like that from the first time I turned it on) so will have to monitor closely once the serious production starts, too early to give any definitive assesment, although I have spoken to others that have been using it a while and they seem to be happy.

First project to tackle is the dust foot, will have to start stealing ideas from the other great minds here...
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 13:30
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Alan,
Looking good.
Old Fri 12 December 2008, 15:24
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Congratulations Alan.

if you can in future make a video of the Bosch working on the mechmate, I would be happy to hear it.
Old Sat 13 December 2008, 10:03
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
Thanks all

The Bosch router seems like a good fit, there is a large volume of air blowing out at the bottom (enough to keep the area around the bit free of dust) The bottom end however does get quite hot to the touch (been like that from the first time I turned it on) so will have to monitor closely once the serious production starts, too early to give any definitive assesment, although I have spoken to others that have been using it a while and they seem to be happy.

First project to tackle is the dust foot, will have to start stealing ideas from the other great minds here...
I bought this router as a replacement for my PC, and this one gets pretty hot. I'm not thrilled about that. It shouldn't even get warm.
Old Sat 13 December 2008, 10:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The bottom end heat is entirely due to friction in the bottom bearing. Brand new bearings will be hotter because they still need to bed/run in. Then they go through a period when they run cooler, and at the end of their life they become hotter again. A graph of temp vs time corresponds to the classic bathtub curve.
Old Sun 14 December 2008, 00:31
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Glad you made it Alan!
Congratulations!
Old Sun 14 December 2008, 07:49
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
But gerald, do you think its normal for a router to get piping hot after 2-3 mins under no load with no tool in the router? Thats the issue I had with my pc. Funny, as it is the cheapest router I ever bought, the hitachi runs not only cool always, but it runs cold.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read