MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Mon 13 July 2009, 12:42
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I just sent you a PM. My email address may need updating in my profile.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 13:58
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
The Book I'm Reading

About 20 years ago, I bought a book on SA and the Boer War. I meant to read it but things just kept getting in the way. It was copywritten in 1900. This morning I picked it up and plowed through the first 96 pages. So far it has mainly been a discussion of the various European explorers, how the first Dutchmen started off building a place for East India ships to temporarily stop, some discussion of the Hugenot settlers, trekking Boers, discriptions of the Bantus and Hotentots and Chaka's bloody exploits.

I was wondering if the book had a pro-Boer or pro-British slant to it. So far, I can't detect any slant. However, here is an interesting quote in which the author describes a Boer Trekker: "The character of the Boer was thus formed, through the irritating interference of the Netherlands Company's officials, driving him to seek a place of perfect freedom, as that of a man accustomed to live alone and impatient of control; half wild in his strength and independence of spirit, his loss of fitness for political and social combination, and of willingness to submit to rule and restraint in the interests of true progress and civilization. His religion was the stern Calvinism of the Dutch Reformed Church. The Bible was his only book, and in that book his favorite pages were those of the Old Testament, dear, in its harsh morality and severe justice, to the English Puritans, who put to death their fallen sovereign...they were in many cases somewhat sullen and unsympathetic; seldom inhuman or depraved; generally shrewd, prudent, persevering, good-humored and hospitable."

I guess there are some aspects of that description that some men might not consider particularly complimentary but I'd be proud to be decribed in that fashion. If you substituted "American Cowboy" for "Boer" this could easily be a description of the men that settled the western US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BookSpine.jpg (14.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg BookFace.jpg (63.3 KB, 228 views)
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 14:56
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Remembering that these "settlers" had no Army, Cavalry or Government support, they entered a strange hostile land armed only with their wits, a few muskets, their Bible and the steely determination to succeed and determine their own future. This attitude is still very much alive today with all South Africans.

If that book was copyrited in 1900, the second Boer War was still on the go, only ending in 1902

Last edited by Alan_c; Mon 13 July 2009 at 15:03.. Reason: added link
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 20:09
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Yeah Alan, I kept reading into the afternoon and I'm now into the stories about the early settlers getting massacred in Unkunkinglove in the 1830s and how they responded. Those were some tough people. Their bravery is even more impressive with you think about the fact that this small group of men and women had only muskets to use against a force that was often 20 times or more larger. I realize the Zulus only had short spears but I bet they could cover 100 meters before you could reload your musket. In that situation, your Bible and your faith become more important than your physical weapons. (I just read about the technique the Boers used. They would fire a volley, retreat on horseback, reload, fire another volley, etc. Brilliant!)

1902 wasn't that long ago and I'm sure some people still have strong feelings about what went on. Heck, the Civil War in the US ended long before that but it is still a serious subject with some people.

Last edited by Doug_Ford; Mon 13 July 2009 at 20:36..
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 20:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The older books tend to romanticise the settlers in opposition to the "savage" natives whose land they were invading. I always felt that there is a side of the story that's missing after reading the older books, and that's why I am enjoying Diamonds, Gold and War so much - all sides seem to be fairly represented.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 21:08
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
My wife was just reading an article in Travel and Leisure magazine. The August 2009 issue has the 14th annual readers' top hotel picks. The Bushmans Kloof in Cedar Mountains, South Africa was #1. Numbers 3, 6, 15, 24, 25, 27, 29 (two hotels in SA were tied for 29th), 34, 58, 60, and 77 were all in SA. The Twelve Apostles (#12) and Cape Grace (#58) are in Cape Town.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 21:10
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Then I'll pick up a copy of Diamonds, Gold, and War. Hopefully, I'll get around to reading it more quickly than I did my current book.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 22:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
http://www.travelandleisure.com/worl...cfm?cat=hotels
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 23:38
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Who was the author of the book you are reading Doug?

I agree with you that there are a lot of similarities between the 'Boer' and the American 'Cowboy' I use to read all of Louis Lamour's books when I was younger.

This is what a English noble man wrote in 1902 about the Boers:

“Take a community of Dutchmen of the type of those who defended
themselves for fifty years against all the power of Spain at a time
when Spain was the greatest power in the world. Intermix with them
a strain of those inflexible French Huguenots who gave up home and
fortune and left their country for ever at the time of the
revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
The product must obviously be one of the most rugged, virile, unconquerable races ever seen upon earth.
Take this formidable people and train them for seven
generations in constant warfare against savage men and ferocious
beasts, in circumstances under which no weakling could survive,
place them so that they acquire exceptional skill with weapons and
in horsemanship, give them a country which is eminently suited to
the tactics of the huntsman, the marksman, and the rider. Then,
finally, put a finer temper upon their military qualities by a dour
fatalistic Old Testament religion and an ardent and consuming
patriotism. Combine all these qualities and all these impulses in
one individual, and you have the modern Boer. The most formidable
antagonist who ever crossed the path of Imperial Britain. Our
military history has largely consisted in our conflicts with
France, but Napoleon and all his veterans have never treated us so
roughly as these hard-bitten farmers with their ancient theology
and their inconveniently modern rifles.”
[The Great Boer War, Arthur Conan Doyle, printed Londen 1902]
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 07:44
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Johan,

The author was Henry Houghton Beck.

That's some pretty high praise!! It feels especially good when it comes from a foe.
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 07:47
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I checked out the websites for some of those SA hotels. Superswanky. When I finally make it down there, I doubt I'll be able to afford to stay in one of them. That's okay. I don't stay in places like that in the US and I wouldn't fit in there anyway.
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 13:03
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Johan,

I was just rereading this thread when I found post #52 by you. In it, you asked me to forward some internet resources I had used in my genealogy research. For some reason, I overlooked it. In my opinion, the best genealogy link is: http://www.cyndislist.com/

Cyndi's List has tens of thousands of links to genealogy sites. I think there are 165 links associated with South Africa. The Mormon Church has great information also if you haven't already used them. Some of the older church members actually volunteer their time in their local church's research center assisting researchers. Don't worry, they won't try to convert you when you walk in. They just ask that you share your research results.
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 13:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey, the Mormon's are great at sharing their research - look at Mike Richards!
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 23:26
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks Doug,
The Mormon and cyndislist are well know resources that I use. Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate that.
You are right, the Mormon's won't try and convert you when you walk in. Might lift an eye brow. Even more so when they see that it is a Afrikaner! Just doesn't want to go into a lengthy argument. Man, and can we argu and disagree. Even more so among ourselves!
Everyone his own boss with his own family and his own piece of land. Touch those and you start a war.
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 07:42
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
My comment wasn't intended as an insult against the Mormons and I sincerely apologize to anyone I might have offended by my imprecise use of the English language. The last person I would ever want to offend is Mike Richards who has shown nothing but kindness and selfless service to everyone on this forum. The Mormons are great people who translate their beliefs into action. My family has spent many an afternoon in our livingroom with fine upstanding young Mormon missionaries that I admired greatly.

I was simply trying to calm any fears Johan might have about whether the purpose of the research center was research or proselytism.

Now, I'm sick to my stomach that I might have offended Mike or anyone else.

Last edited by Doug_Ford; Wed 15 July 2009 at 07:52..
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 08:01
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Doug,

You did not offend me, in fact, your #162 post was very complimentary to our church and the genealogy research that it does.

Just like everyone else who posts on this forum, at the core, each of us is trying to help others over the rough spots in life whether it be in building a CNC machine or whether it be some other difficulty.
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 11:59
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Whew. Thanks Mike.
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 23:16
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Mike,
From my side. Thanks for the great work that your church are doing all over the world. My fellow researchers (and me) speak with create respect everytime the Mormon's research is mentioned in our genealogy meetings.
Kind regards
Old Tue 21 July 2009, 23:02
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Just to prove that South Africa can be cold in winters...this was taken by a farmer in Harrismith apparently.

cold.jpg
Old Tue 21 July 2009, 23:29
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
What temps do you get down to in winters?
Old Tue 21 July 2009, 23:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here are the extremes for the last 2 days:

http://www.weathersa.co.za/Climate/Extremes.jsp

Also look at the Climate Data for Selected Centres in the right hand column and pick a town, to see long term data . . . .

Kobus is in Johannesburg (high altitude)

Alan and I are in Cape Town (more or less - Alan is just behind a mountain with a different climate there)

Hennie is midway betwee George and Port Elizabeth

Lex is near Richards Bay
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 00:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Heath, that -8 deg C that is shown is in the same province where the picture was taken.

Wow -8 for Johannesburg in certain years...I can feel it when I go and cycle some mornings around 05:00

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Wed 22 July 2009 at 00:12..
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 00:40
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Heath we would probably have the weather that Gerald had in Cape Town yesterday by mid day today.
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 04:48
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
I thought I was the only one complaining
Vive_la_neige.jpg
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 05:00
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Are those Meerkats warming themselves by the fire? Cute.
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 07:27
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Kobus those two animals near the fire place are alive ?
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 08:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Alive and well to my knowledge....if they stay long enough we could have a BBQ
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 09:19
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Marius, some people keep meerkats as house pets - I think those in the photo are tame.
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 11:47
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
We are a little bit colder on average (being at about 400m ASL) with a lot more rain (this being a major catchment area) 2 weekends back we had 165mm rain in 24 hrs (dams now sitting at about 96%) Currently I am only there on the weekends as I am staying in CT during the week (to reduce traveling costs)
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 11:52
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
I want two pets like those !!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts