MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 01 September 2015, 08:44
sphericos
Just call me: David

Suffolk
United Kingdom
Finally getting to the planning stage.

Hello everyone, my name is David and I am based in Suffolk in the UK. I have lurked around this forum for many years on and off. I printed the plans out some years back and the file has been sitting gathering dust through two house moves and the birth of two of my children. I have however finally raised enough support from my financial controller (the wife) to start planning a build.

My background is mainly IT infrastructure management over the last 25 years but I originally trained in engineering and worked with CNC lathes and Mills for a while. I also spent some time as a draughtsman using Autocad 9 - 12. These days I still use Draftsight for small projects due to the similarity with Acad commands.

My intention is to build a fairly standard 8' x 4' machine and I have started budgeting for bits. I realise most people on here use Mach but I am going to give linuxcnc a go if I can make it all work reliably. I am also considering using a Mesa 7I76E if I can find some real world implementation cases.

If anyone has any good sources for parts in the UK I would be more than happy to hear.

Regards

David
Old Wed 02 September 2015, 20:03
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Planning is the key and preparation is the lock, think of the forum as foresight and you will have a machine running with the best of them. Get in a hurry (like I did)and you will be making upgrades after. Welcome and enjoy your build.
Old Wed 02 September 2015, 20:21
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome David. I have a similar background, IT Management with early hands on stuff. Since I was familiar with electronics, I started with the Control Box. Once I got the motors turning, I moved on to the cutting, welding, grinding, tapping stuff.

Good luck with your build. We appreciate "watching" builds via photos and please ask questions when you need help. We don't mind helping. Actually, we enjoy seeing "yet another" build.
Old Wed 02 September 2015, 20:41
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome. Best of luck with your build.
Old Thu 03 September 2015, 06:52
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read