MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 02 January 2012, 20:44
theodoregall
Just call me: Ted

Edinboro,PA
United States of America
Smile In need of help getting started - Edinboro, PA

I posted an introduction that was also going to be my last due to insufficient funds to purchase the plans. I was very disappointed that this was going to be the case since this seemed to be the exact community and machine I was looking for.

I received encouraging emails from members in the MechMate community. My wife, being the the supportive wife she is, and I decided together that I could increase my funding to include the plans and as I am waiting for the budget allocation to be released I can now really get into researching the machine build along with getting prepared for it's operation.

The question I have is really where to start. I am new to CNCing. I have a strong background in mathematics and computer software development. I have varying levels of skills in welding, electrical wiring and electronics. I have good carpentry skills. I have used AutoCAD in the past but only for simple drafting, nothing to complicated.

I have already begun to just research on this site but if there is any additional books or resources you can point me to that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded beginning but I am so excited to get started.

Thanks and if I am posting incorrectly please let me know.

Ted

P.S. Thanks to all of you who encouraged me to stick with the MechMate I think it is going to work out great.
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 21:15
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Glad to hear your going to dig in. Enjoy the read and we are looking forward to your build !!
Old Mon 02 January 2012, 21:18
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Ted, looking forward to your build!
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 05:04
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ted,

Great that things worked out for you. Enjoy your build. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old Tue 03 January 2012, 07:47
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ted,
Welcome to the community. You will find that we're a pretty "rag-tag fleet" of folks with varying degree's of use and interest. Some are experts, while others novice. I am certain you will fit in nicely.

Best of luck.
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 10:01
gooberdog
Just call me: Chuck

Kansas City, MO
United States of America
Ted,
Glad you came back. The best advise I can give is to start reading the site. The more you read, the more questions that will crop up, and more reading starts to answer all of those questions that you didn't even know you needed to ask when you start. Once you are up and cutting you can start all over again learning the best ways to get the work done. This site is where the value is, you will find the plans, by supporting the site, were a bargain.
Chuck
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 10:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Ted!
Old Fri 06 January 2012, 14:43
kanankeban
Just call me: Hector #89

Monterrey
Mexico
Welcome, and good luck with your build
Old Thu 12 January 2012, 04:46
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
"...if there is any additional books or resources you can point me to that would be greatly appreciated."

Ted: Welcome to the MM mania. As for your question above, everything I needed I found in the forum, either already posted or answers to questions. Start there, you shouldn't need much, if anything, else.

Good luck

Joe #53
Old Thu 12 January 2012, 16:41
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Good Luck with the build. You will find this community very supportive, you have found the right place to begin your CNC adventure.
Old Thu 12 January 2012, 16:51
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ted,

There are books on this forum in the form of builder threads. The advantage these threads have is that they have or are building the same machine you want to build. Better than any book.

Read the threads of some completed builders. You will learn a lot.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read