MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 31 March 2010, 03:56
renraku
Just call me: renraku

rome
Italy
All electronic components, what i have to buy?

Hello everyone I finished the cnc machine, now I have to buy all the electronics components, but viewing the forum did not really understood what and 'right to buy, some use the PMDX 122 others use the 125 etc. So also the G203V GECKO DRIVER some others 202 etc. I need of an exact list of all the parts that I need, to consider that i'm from Rome, talking about the different voltage, in Italy power il 220 volt

Break board PMDX 122 ? is correct
4 Driver Gecko drive G203V standard? is correct
Power supply?
May i have a correct list of all components ?
Thanks
Best Regards
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 08:06
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
renraku,
This build can have many subtle variation in all aspect. You don't even need to use product from PMDX or Gecko to build a MM. All you need is to keep reading & learning.

It is a "culture" here to not have a list or BOM... so again, keep reading, do you own pick & make your own choice choices.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 09:15
renraku

rome
Italy
The problem is fear to buy wrong components, the electronic for me is very difficult, i think i'll buy PMDX 122 and 4 Gecko drive G203V STANDARD, is correct for your experience ?
Thanks
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 10:52
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
There is a vast amount of information and while it can be overwhelming it is important you research and read a lot of build logs to get a better understanding of how each component works. It is nice to have a comprehensive spreadsheet for ordering but it doesn't mean squat if you don't know what each part is, what it does and how the internals work. Also remember just because I did it or someone else did it one way doesn't mean its the best way or the right way, you should find what works for you and your skill level/knowledge of electronics.

First find your requirements, what are you looking for. Then find out what components are needed to fill those requirements. IE: you want to power on the spindle with Mach3, you will need a SSR or contactor. There are plenty of posts/threads/photos here for every thing you may see in a photo of a completed controller here.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 19:19
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by renraku View Post
The problem is fear to buy wrong components, the electronic for me is very difficult,
Exactly! That is why you should read even more on the subject...

Knowledge is power!
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 22:18
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
renraku,

you cannot go wrong with that combination,
however be carefull when you buy your transformation, they need to match your steppers.
So first let us know what steppers you are planning to buy, then we can advice the transformation and if the PMDX122 and G203V are good for you.

Ries
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 03:09
renraku

rome
Italy
Thanks I have already bought and mounted the stepper NEMA 34 with belt redution 4:1 (4.4Nm 5.6A)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nema34.1.jpg (19.9 KB, 569 views)
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 03:48
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
What is the details of this motor? All stepper looks same too me, a rectngular chuck with a shaft poking out at on end...
Coil inductance in particular.
then you can determine the max. safe operating voltage of this motor
V = 32 x SQRT(Lcoil in mH)
This is also the voltage that the Driver must handle with ease, i.e. give a 20% margin over the V of motor.
Then you check if your propose motor driver can handle that.
Or else, you build a power supply that the driver can handle & run the motor below its max. safe operating voltage.
After you determined your transformer, you then determine the current the transformer require to handle, Normally its A=2/3 x (Max. motor current x 4)
The AC voltage the transformer should be Vac=(Vdc + 1.5) x 0.707
From here you calculate the size of transformer Transformer VA= V x A
Then you need rectifiers, the V rating must be higher then the Vdc & current rating of at least double of what you need.
With all the above data, you the calculate the size of the capacitor... Buy a capacitor with Voltage rating of at least 20% more then the voltage you wish to produce.
hope this helps

Last edited by KenC; Thu 01 April 2010 at 04:12..
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 05:35
renraku

rome
Italy
Detail motor nema that i have bought 34 n° M1343020 the second 4.4NM - 5.6A see attachment thanks for help
best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nema34.jpg (146.7 KB, 574 views)
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 05:39
renraku

rome
Italy
I also think this power supply, it's ok for PMDX 122 and Gecko G203V Standard?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Label-toroidal.jpg (37.3 KB, 568 views)
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 06:06
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The motors are rated 1.5mH, so their MAXIMUM voltage is 39V. The transformer is 29VAC, which becomes 40VDC after rectification (bridge rectifier) and filtering (capacitor). That is close enough, but it will run hot (65C to 80C, depending on the load). The 9VAC winding will work fine with the PMDX-122.

For my 1.5mH motors, I prefer a 25VAC transformer. That gives plenty of speed and keeps the heat down just a little bit.

You will need to use a 180K 1/4 watt resistor on terminals 11 & 12 on the G203v to limit the current to 5.6A. (If the motors run too hot, you can decrease the value of those resistors to 150K or even 120K to limit the current to less than 5.6A.)
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 07:16
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I forgot to give a suggestion on the size of the filter capacitor. 5.6A X 4 X 66% = ~15A. 80,000 X 15A / 40V = ~ 30,000uF.

You would need about 30,000uF, which could be one large capacitor or several smaller capacitors connected in parallel.

Be sure that the working voltage is at least 1.5X the voltage of the transformer. For a 40VDC power supply, I would use a 63V capacitor instead of a 50V. If you can find 75V capacitors, they would be even better.

Also, buy a larger bridge rectifier than specified. A 200V or 400V bridge rectifier costs about the same as a 50V. I would buy a 35A unit that has spade quick disconnect lugs and I would mount the bridge rectifier on a large heat sink.

On my test bench, I have a PMDX-135-8020 unit that handles the duties for the bridge rectifier and capacitors. The PMDX-135-5020 would be perfectly adequate for any power supply up to 50VDC.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 16:43
renraku

rome
Italy
Richards thanks for your advice, i will buy the transformer 25Vac instead 29
thanks if i'll have problems i'll write you again, next week i'll do Gecko G203V driver standard and PMDX 122 order in USA.
Have you a nice job, sorry for my bad english language

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read