MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 10 May 2009, 14:47
edvard
Just call me: edvard

Tønsberg
Norway
What tool to use?

Anyone got some sugestions on what kind of tool`s to use for cutting the steel for the table . brands etc. Maby some sugestions aswell on how to do it without it beeing dangerouse. seen that i can buy some type of electrical saws used for cutting steel but it seems kinda dangerouse using that kind of tool considering if i dont cut 100% straight and the blade get jamed, all that force will surly hurt me somehow hehe. Anyone understand what im trying to say? .
Old Sun 10 May 2009, 16:30
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Edvard,

I understand "kick-bacK" when sawing with a hand held saw. This happens when the blade binds.

I used a steel cutting saw to cut the X-rails and Y-rails down to 28 mm. I also cut an angle on the Main Beams and several cross-cuts on various other parts of the MM with the steel cutting saw. I never had an occurrence of kick-back. Most of the time I used a shop-made jig as described in this thread. Sometimes I free-hand cut the cross cuts. Other times I clamped a guide to the part being cut to use as a straight-edge.

If you are willing to invest in a steel cutting saw, I recommend it for constructing the MechMate. I used a Makita 4131. Others have reported success with the SteelMax.
Old Sun 10 May 2009, 23:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Edvark, the power tools sold today are very safe if you use them according to their instruction books. Especially in your country! (The steel cutting saw is actually as easy to use as a wood cutting saw)

If you have a good budget, and plan to cut a lot more steel in the future, then buy a steel cutting saw.

However, if you want to save some money and work a little slower, you can do everything with a powerful "baby" grinder and good thin cutting disks.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read