MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 12 April 2011, 20:56
Jay W
Just call me: Jay

Atlanta, GA
United States of America
Guess I've been here a while then because that's how I remembered those two terms being sort of interchangeable, if you will. Thanks for the links Sean...some great reading there! I've done the math on these motors (see post #23 above) and I didn't know if that particular power supply would be okay. Now that I look at it, I believe it would be too large. I'm not an electronics person, but I'm steadily learning more! From the thread Calculate the Voltage and VA size of the DC power supply for stepper motors/geckos I gather that I need 2/3rds of the drive's current requirements. From my calculations above (post #23) I have 47.5 Volts for the 4 motors and they are rated 4.5A eachs (18A total for 4 motors), I should take 2/3rds of the 18A. This would be...(12A x 47.5V = 570VA or watts). From these calcs I need a PS of approximately 600 or so Watts and approximately 48 Volts for the motors and another voltage of 12V for the PMDX122 BOB. Does all this sound on the level or am I way out in left field?
Old Wed 20 April 2011, 03:55
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
300VA transformer is all it takes to run MM, disregard of what voltage you run it. It is well documented in this forum.
Old Fri 22 April 2011, 06:50
Jay W
Just call me: Jay

Atlanta, GA
United States of America
Thanks Ken. For that very reason is why I have not purchased the PS yet. Before I spend the money on something I wanted to make sure I was getting exactly what was needed. I even tried to contact John at Antek and as others have found he has been unresponsive to any inquiries. Will try to find one elsewhere now.
Old Fri 22 April 2011, 07:35
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I think we have covered this pretty well here on the forum. I had a test done with these motors and the 5N PS worked fine. Both the 39v and the 48v drove this motor in half coil and parallel fine. The 48 ran the motors warmer of course but not at a point that would cause issues.

I have one 4N 48volt that should run the motors also becuase of how the MechMate operates.

Thse are both Antek PS and I will sell the 4N for $121.00 Delivered and the 5N for $134.00 delivered.

Just a side note for you. IN my thread http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3354 that is the same Keling motor you listed.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read