MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 19 November 2012, 04:28
bobhome
Just call me: bob

bristol
United Kingdom
Pre purchase questions and hello

Bob here from the UK, hello everyone.
Been looking over designs for an 8 x 4 sheet capacity cutting CNC router for sometime. Tried designing my own, but feel that I would probably waste more money this way. Really like the look of the Mechmate and the bonus of having a tried and tested system that has years of development behind it.
So, Mechmate it is.

Just a couple of questions regarding the design before I purchase the plans:
1. How has the design evolved over the years?
2. Is there a changelog?
3. How critical are the metal frame dimensions (assuming some sizes in the UK may not be readily available)
4. What dimensions are absolutely critical to the correct operation?
5. Can the laser cut parts be bought in the UK?
6. Is it possible to fit a standard router/another router to the Mechmate

Thanks,
Bob
Old Mon 19 November 2012, 10:16
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
1. The base design has changed very little. Improvements to ease fabrication, increase compatibility with different choices of motor or rails, or incorporate small tweaks from the field have been added. None of these have been major.
2. The original diagram set indicates last change dates; there have not been recent changes. Areas of experimentation are generally in the threads here on the forum.
3. A wide variety of structural steel shapes have been used successfully all over the industrialized world. You will be able to find something that works.
4. Almost none, as long as the replacement is sufficiently equivalent in function. However, craftsmanship in preparing and aligning the rails is important.
5. Pretty sure they have been. Look here: http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
6. Yes.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read