MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 03 November 2011, 10:40
BSims66173
Just call me: Barry

Alabama
United States of America
New Member with Questions

First let me introduce myself. I am just a dumb ole country boy from Alabama. A few years ago, I became interested in cnc routers and proceeded to build a diy router that turned out fair. I learned alot during the build and really enjoy working with it. My brother also has gotten interested and we have made some very nice things. The diy router is small with a cutting area of 2x2. Last weekend my brother found a chinese (Foundertop, I think is the brand) made 4x4 router that had never been used and purchased it. We have it up and running but it only has one drive rack on the x axis. When it is cutting, you can see the non driven side is constantly deflecting back and fourth, sort of bouncing when changing direction. I think it will be a good machine but we need to add a rack and motor to the other side of the x. Now the question, what rack and pinion do I have on this machine. The x and y racks are the same. The pinion has 34 teeth and is 36mm in diameter and is 30 mm in length. The rack is 30 mm x 30 mm square. I do not know how to determine the pitch or what I need to order. I was hoping I could get some info from the gurus on this site. Like I said, I am just a dumb ole country boy who enjoys tinkering with this stuff. Any help on what I have or need to buy will be greatly appreciated.
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 10:54
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Where are you in Alabama? As far as your machine you will probably get better feedback on cnczone.com. This forum is very focused on the MechMate platform. You should join us and build one !!
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 11:51
BSims66173
Just call me: Barry

Alabama
United States of America
Near Jasper Alabama. I am thinking about building a bigger machine in the future and it may be a MM design.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read