MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 March 2010, 09:28
15mgtar
Just call me: 15mgtar

anaheim
United States of America
Can I use this for vacuum pump?

Hi all,
can I use this blower as a vacuum pump?
I really hate burning anymore of the house vacuum cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2028.JPG (165.1 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2029.JPG (170.8 KB, 542 views)
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 09:34
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
sure you can any blower can be use as a dust collector, the question is only how effective...
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 13:33
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
15mgtar, are you looking to use that as a vacuum pump or a dust collector?

It doesn't look like it will pull very much vacuum to me; seems to be more of a high volume low pressure device.

As a dust collector, I'd be concerned about large chips and that squirrel cage, so you'd probably want some sort of chip separator in front of it.
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 17:06
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
A Thein separator would work.
Old Mon 22 March 2010, 17:52
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Hi 15mgtar,

I've just setup vac hold down on my Mechmate and I experimented with a number of pumps borrowed from a vendor and settled on a 10HP roots blower with 3" ins and outs. I tried a standard 10 hp blower like the one in you picture. It just doesn't work. It pulls about 2-3 inches Hg at best. I even tried a 15hp regenerative blower and that achieved 7-9 inches. The air volume was incredible, and the hold down power was acceptable, but pulled almost 40 amps. I also tried vane pumps (becker style) in a range of hp. Those pulled an astounding 24-25" Hg but to achieve good air volume like the roots, I had to shell out some major $$$$. They are the best in terms of noise level and vac performance. The roots I ended up with will pull about 18" and will do about 200 CFM for air volume. All the equipment I refered to were referbished. The roots set me back about $1000 for just the pump. The whole setup with plumbing, filter, inverter set us back an additional $300. Cheap when you consider a commercial setup is about $3500 - $4000 for equivilent performance.

Vac hold down is awsome.

Good luck
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 03:09
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
David it would be great if you could post the pictures of your setup, and the vac base you have done up
Old Tue 23 March 2010, 06:44
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
You can't beat the price of a Harbor Freight dust collector when they are on sale.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 10:48
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Irfan, I'm posting pictures on my build log right now. I'll update it over the next week or so to current progress which is pretty much complete.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read