MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 03 March 2009, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
This afternoon I decided to cut a decorative piece that I wanted to do for a long time. I put a piece of hardwood (Saligna) on the machine and flatten it with a 20 mm cutter...Could have done it on the thickneser, but it's more fun on old BBB.

Then fitted my 3mm ballnose and 25 minutes later finished the 'CARVING'. I then ran it agains a brass wire brush to get some of the soft wood out. This give the piece more DEPTH. Some dark brown shoe polish, then some black shoe polish and I am very happy with the result. Size is 400 mm x 100 mm.

Old Tue 03 March 2009, 11:09
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Maar ons speel lekker!
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 11:41
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Now thats the kind of stuff a router should be doing. Very nice man.
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 16:02
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

Why don't you run a 1/4 end mill before the ballnose to help take care of the bulk of the material?
Old Tue 03 March 2009, 22:38
gmessler
Just call me: Greg #15

Chicago IL
United States of America
Nice job Kobus. Looks great!
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 06:27
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
Very Well Done. What is that wood like to work with? Is it comparable to any hardwoods we have in North America? I am sure you guys have access to some of what we would call exotic woods.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 06:39
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Saligna is an import from Australia, planted on a large scale for the mining industry where it is used as props and packs to hold the roof up. All our school desks were made of it.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 10:40
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald / Kobus
Do you guys also have access to woods like Oak, Maple, Ash , Elm, Birch or pine or spruce that we are familiar in Canada?
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 10:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Heath, I have a very nice , but expensive shop in Germiston that sells any kind of wood you can think off, BUT at a price. Old Mr Hoffmann is about 80 years old, but man does he have nice wood.

This Saligna is not a very good hardwood...a bit grainy, but I have some that I picked up in Sabie where my other house is. When I stayed there I had a local tree feller that I went out with. He had an Alaskan that fitted on a chainsaw and we made some oak and blackwood slabs that I make couter tops from. The Oak that we have tends to MOVE a lot.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 10:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Nils on the 6mm cutter to remove the bulk. I have Vectric Cut2D, but I don't think it can be done on this program. Aspire can I think. I tried it this afternoon, but when I put the 3mm ballnose in, it followed the exact same path as the 6mm end-mill. Maybe I don't know how to work Cut2D and if somebody else has it, please tell me how I can use a bigger cutter to do a rough cut and then use my small ballnose.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, pine we have lots off, it is our most common lumber, grown locally. Our next most popular wood, generally sold at all hardware shops is meranti, imported from Asia. Any other wood comes from speciality outlets - at a price.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:19
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Dear Kobus give some time to finish the MM and after that I'll jump in cad files to finish one by one the drawings. It's not a big deal working with CAD software but it takes some time to catch the basics. For example I learn to use AutoCad only to fix a file like the one I send to you because this software is very handy at this job. If you try more with AutoCad of course I need minimum 2 years of training. The ideea is to create a section on this forum with DXF files for MM builders. Me for example I'm ready to work with Rhino or with Vetric because both softwares works very well with AutoCad files.
On YouTube I found many tutorials who welped me a lot .
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 11:23
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Heath

All the Oak, Maple, Ash, Beech etc (Hardwoods) come from either America or Europe at extremely exorbitant prices (Had to get some cherry recently - R30 000 per cubic meter - =$ 2860) Pine is grown locally at reasonable prices but the quality is getting worse every year. African hardwoods come from further north but also at very high pricing. There are not many suppliers of "exotics" so they have a captive market. Your exotics are just as exotic for us.
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 15:31
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
$2860 for a cubic meter I have a cherry tree in the front yard I would sell you the whole tree for that price, getting it through customs may be tricky though
Old Wed 04 March 2009, 16:04
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

I don't have cut2D but I would think that you should be able to have two cut files, 1) for the 1/4 endmill that does the rough cut and the 2nd for the 1/8 end mill. Try seeing if that helps.

I know you can do it in Aspire and I would think you can do it in Cut2D.
Old Tue 02 June 2009, 05:18
hendrik
Just call me: hennie

brisbane
Australia
Julle moet lekker speel . Hier in Australia hoor jy nie "lekker" so baie nie!!

Keep on posting!

Nog n Hennie in Brisbane
Old Tue 02 June 2009, 10:30
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Lekker lekker hier ou Hennie.
Old Tue 02 June 2009, 23:21
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Ons sal nooit twee stoutgat Hennies kan oorleef op hierdie forum nie! Hoop Hennie in Aus. is 'n voorbeeldinge seun!
Two Hennies will be to much!
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 00:17
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Jammer om van jou >>k te hoor
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 00:36
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Amen...
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 00:56
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Dis reg ... pik op my.
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 02:06
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Sien Kobus het al klaar gebid vir genade
Old Wed 03 June 2009, 02:24
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Wat sal ek sonder julle twee doen?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read