MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 January 2010, 07:23
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Legs good enough for the beach! The spray tan on the inside is a little orange.

Those Fluro's in the back of pic, you going to mount them to the MM?
Old Mon 11 January 2010, 16:47
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Machine Task Lighting

Hi Besser, very keen eye you have there.

I make surfboards as a hobby and the fluros provide side light for shaping and throw plenty of light on the subject when glassing boards.

The type of lighting I will use is on the mechmate will be High Power LED's as they are so small and robust. Still a little expensive for the amount of light you get but the technology is rapidly improving. Attached is a photo of a task light in my shed made from 5 x 3 watt HPLED's. When it comes time to install some lights the 5 watt and 10 watt HPLED's should be more reasonably priced and will fit perfectly in the moving monocoque car providing intense white task lighting around the cutting tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.jpg (25.9 KB, 3245 views)
Old Tue 12 January 2010, 05:23
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Another well lit dance floor?
Old Tue 12 January 2010, 05:46
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Ken - I gave up dancing when I quit drinking, or was that, I gave up drinking when I quit dancing. Well lit none the less Ken.
Old Tue 12 January 2010, 13:30
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
I have been struggling with the lighting issue, do you light just the cutting tool or the whole work table?

With a dust foot on a tool light is useless.

my current config is for a IR USB camera inside the dust foot and strip led along the underside of the gantry.

Look forward to seeing your config.
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 00:27
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hey Ken, I heard that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Another well lit dance floor?
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 03:18
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Ross,

Can you show some pictures of the lights you are talking about? I would like to add some kind of lighting. I played around with LEDs but I didn't get around to adding any thing as of yet. It would be great to see what some one else has come up with.

Thanks
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 05:09
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
HPLED Photo and Table Leg Plates Finished

Hi Nils

The photo attached is of a High Power LED (HPLED) and an LED driver that is used to limit the current running to the LED. The driver can be located well away from the LED so only room for the star/s itself needs to be found. The part that makes the light is the yellow dome in the center. These LED's produce lots of light per watt of power but are still not 100 percent efficient so produce some waste heat. The light can be focused with a lens called a collimator.

HPLED's are usually heat sinked to alloy with some thermal epoxy glue. I make mine from computer CPU ceramic thermal paste and two part epoxy. The light in the previous post has five LED's literally stuck to the alloy plate and wired up to a 12 volt battery though some LED drivers. The LED's actually produce a specific wavelength of light some are white light but others are blue, green or red wavelengths. New multichip LED's actually mix light to a specific color, so whatever you do don't let any wanna be decorators read this and have you pay to wash a wall with a specific color of light !!!

It seems inevitable that these LEDs will replace existing lighting as the incandescent is nearly gone here in Australia, fluoros contain mercury and are currently looking like a bad boy in the disposal stakes because of that heavy metal (there I go again about heavy metals).

I am nowhere near making a dust foot but the design I liked the best was the bush bristle types sucking from the back and most importantly open at the front so you can see what is going on. Even the big dust extractors hate restriction so it made sense to me to have a path from the clear air to the extractor intake. I was hoping to peak in the front to see what was going on too!

Finished fixing the last of my 16 plates to the table legs, better find something else to drill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5Watt HPLED and Driver.jpg (36.1 KB, 3176 views)
File Type: jpg Table Legs Completed.jpg (38.2 KB, 3186 views)
Old Wed 13 January 2010, 07:24
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Great Idea….. Thanks for sharing & showing the « light » on this
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 01:41
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Ross,

Looking forward to catching up with you on Saturday, I'm sure we will have plenty of MechMate discussions going on!!

Great work so far Ross keep them photos and updates coming!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 14 January 2010, 01:43
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Same here Tony, an exchange of ideas... I'll have have the plans at the ready.
Old Fri 15 January 2010, 04:35
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Y Cross Bearer Support Board Holes Drilled - Cutting Fluid Report

Lots more holes made in the Y cross bearers. My technique to get all the holes lining up nicely was to use a drilling template made out of 20 x 3 mm flat steel clamped to the cross bearer - worked very nicely.

The size of my Y axis is 1300mm but just in case only a 1200mm support board was available (or much more reasonably priced), I made two sets of holes on the outside edge for both support board sizes. Although none of the photos show it, the holes are also drilled on the underside of the cross bearer's flange so the support board can be easily fitted from underneath. Thanks to the originator of that idea, it was on the forum somewhere but not in the plans.

The x beam holes for the bolt together design are still to be done.

Cutting fluid formula at post #27 works really well, the drills cut nicely and stay sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y Cross Bearer Drilling Template.jpg (38.8 KB, 3084 views)
File Type: jpg Y Cross Bearer Template Detail.jpg (38.5 KB, 3088 views)
File Type: jpg Y Cross Bearers Some Finished LHS Pre-drilled.jpg (38.7 KB, 3091 views)
File Type: jpg Y Cross Bearers Orientation Marked Up.jpg (38.6 KB, 3083 views)
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:12
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
X Beams

Over the last day or so I have completed the CAD drawing for my bolt together lower table. A little bit of juggling was required to get the Y cross bearers nicely spaced given that my bolt together design puts a plate up between the bearers. Now have the exact hole spacings and am proceeding to drill the bottoms of my X rails to take my bolt on Y bearers and the bolt on leg plates.

I used a piece of 25 x 6mm flat as a template, center punched the exact positions then drilled some 4mm pilot holes to make sure everything lined up as best it could. After drilling one 12mm hole by hand, thought it was a bit slow, so up it went on my trusty painters trestles and plank.

Rather than move the beam to be machined - the drill press was moved along underneath the beam - worked nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X Beam Drilling Template.jpg (38.1 KB, 3017 views)
File Type: jpg X Beam Underside Drilling.jpg (38.4 KB, 3015 views)
File Type: jpg X Beam First Underside Completed.jpg (37.4 KB, 3010 views)
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:15
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
I’m no metal knowledge guy, but would like to learn more on your main beams ?
How come there not taped as most other C-channels ?
What are those ?
Thanks, Robert
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:35
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Robert

They could well be tapped as you suggest. My strategy is to use a high tensile bolt fully tightened in a slightly oversized hole to allow for adjustment to get the base perfectly square. I am quite sure that the clamping force of the 16 12mm HT bolts will lock the beams into position and in the end it is a quicker method than tapping all the holes (for me a least).
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:46
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
To clarify - these are the bottoms of the X Beams Robert.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:42
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
How come there not taped as most other C-channels ?
I think he meant "tapered" . . . . .
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:58
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Gerald thanks.

We are lucky to have access to this type of channel here in Australia. We can also get the tapered channel you used for your build. Your work around for the tapper was very well done - you are more than "just" a woodworker I say.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 20:54
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
How come there not tap(er)ed as most other C-channels ?
What are those ?
Thanks, Robert
I believe that kind of untapered structural steel is called "Ship Channel" around here. It costs about twice as much as the normal tapered stock.

Joe
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 01:01
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Called PFC here in Aus = Parallel Flange Channel

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 01:39
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Cut one of my Y cross bearers short and needed to pick up another length during the week. They seemed to routinely stock both the Tapered Flange Channel TFC and Parallel Flange Channel PFC as Tony has correctly named.

Obviously the PFC channel we are using makes the job easier. Don't know about the price difference of the two products but twice the price for PFC seems quite unreasonable.

Tony - your cold cut saw appears to be not only a good saw, it's an ultra saw.
You will be flat out keeping up with it. Nothing wrong with collecting more tools, you are in good company in this forum I'd bet.

Ross
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 05:13
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Started some Welding

The big X beams have enough holes in the bottom now for all the Y cross bearers to be bolted on. A few extra holes for the attachment plate for the table base as well.

Got the welder out and have started making the ladder frame sections for my table base. Tried various methods to get it square, not sure I have found a perfect solution but it generally works ok. Welded a little too aggressively and got one bar to twist a little so will cut it open again, hammer, clamp and re-weld it the way it should be.

Here are two of the four ladder sections I will need for my table.

The heat and humidity here in Queensland have been quite repressive over the past week. I was wet through after just minutes working as it was around 47 degrees C in the garage where I was welding. When it gets this hot in Queensland it can only mean one thing - it's cyclone season and right on cue Tropical Cyclone Olga (A Hurricane in the Northern Hemisphere) is on the way. The pulse of swell is due to hit the east coast on Sunday afternoon, so if I go quiet for a while, no one will need to guess where I have gone !!
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 05:30
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
More pic!!
Sure is hot in your garage, I working in 31C indoor, but outdoor temp is 35C when its not raining,...
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 05:42
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Love your work Ross!!

Soldiering on very well considering the heat of late, storms the last couple of days too and a King on King tide expected this weekend. How are the magnetic corners working for you? I also have a few of them for when I start our table builds, I thought they might be a handy asset. Looks like I might need a few of those longer sash clamps too!!
Good to see it all coming together, and at a reasonable pace, keep the pics coming Ross.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 05:49
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony

The magnetic corners head you in the general direction quite well and make up for a little variation in the cuts of the steel. The sash clamps are perfect if you are working with a precision cut and do a no compromise lock up of the bars. Hot - you bet !!
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 06:44
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Hi Ross

Nice work !!

Seeing your spindle and your spindle mount, which by the way is the same
that i got too, i have to inform you that the mount does not fit in the gauge plate cause it hits the rollers and you have to possibly trim the back plate or add some washers in the back.

Sergio
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 07:53
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Thank you for the warning Sergio. I have measured the bracket width at 124 - 125mm so it is indeed too wide without modification. The Z plate is no more than 100mm wide and each V roller will project at least another 4mm inwards on each side. Realistically we are looking to reduce the backplate of the spindle mount width to 90mm to get clearance.

If you look at the back of the mount, the horizontal distance between the 2 sets of screws that hold it together is around 90mm.

See my proposed fix below, it should cut easily in a miter saw. In its disassembled state it is just two straight cuts on the backplate and a couple of little miters on the top and bottom plates. Round off the sharp bits and it should look fine. Before making any modifications I would like to see how it fouls with the V rollers. It might not even need the miter cuts if the v rollers clear the top and bottom plates.

Spindle Mount Fix for Z Slide.jpg

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 04:50
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Unwelding ? - A New Term Maybe

Slowly doing some more welding - even doing some unwelding !? then rewelding as my clamping techniques improve.

Built up a new controller PC out of new but inexpensive parts last week.

I have used the concept of virtualisation to get a really good result this time.

The "Host" machine runs only the Mach3 machine controller software and one Virtual Network Computing (VNC) application.
The "Guest" Machine runs all my design applications, CAM applications, AV, Email etc, etc.

The end result is a single machine that can run anything and everything when needed or instantly drop back to a stripped down controller by simply turning off the "Guest" machine.

An AMD 2.9Gig Phenom dual core CPU and 4 Gig of RAM allows for 2 gig of RAM for each the Host and Guest Machines and gives perfect realtime performance of the Guest even when using applications that require 3D hardware accelerated graphics. Both machines are visible on a network as separate machines and can both be remotely monitored and operated from any where on the LAN.

The virtualisation allowed me to get a strong and easily managed delineation between the controller and design functions of the machine. It also allows for the quick transfer of the guest machine (the design environment) to any other machine regardless of its hardware configuration.

Choose your own virtualisation application and the host/guest operating systems depending on your own tastes, it is just the system architecture that I wanted to give the forum users a chance to consider.

The Mach3 driver test easily pulsed to 100k. My earlier experiments with an Intel Atom 330 Dual core CPU and Intel motherboard failed to reliably pulse past 16.5 k so the new hardware is a keeper.
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 05:22
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I'm not computer savy, I learn by picked up bits & pieces here & there & what I know is normally outdated... but I just couldn't resist to learn more by asking stupid questions.

AKAIK Mech3/EMC2 don't like working in dual core machine, don't know why though. What is your take?

Another stupid question, what is the reason for a 100k pulse? I need to know if I have to ditch my Atom mobo too...
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 05:23
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Controller Rebuild

It sounded big doing all those different things but really it's only a little guy.

The controller PC also uses a Logitech wireless rumblepad to jog and a wireless laptop mouse to cut down on cords. Just using USB and network access for file transfers, so left out the CD/DVD as thats just more thing to get full of dust and stop working.

Machine Controller.jpg

regards
Ross

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read