MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 10. Base Table
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 10 February 2009, 11:56
astrolavista
Just call me: Rene #29

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
Dovetail Jig - must the table be extended?

I know I have seen the answer somewhere but I can't find it,

I'm just in the process of ordering my Steel for my table and wondering if I build the standard table for a 49" x 97" sheet, would I have any extra X for a dovetail Jig past my spoilboard or would I have to "adjust" my X rails to accommodate the extra length I'm looking for..

R
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 12:22
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
Rene,

I'm not sure if others have planned for cutting dovetails or other joinery in the ends of boards, but Erick and I allowed for the possibility of this by creating another set of mounting holes for the first 'X' axis cross-member. This will allow the first cross-member to be positioned back another 6" and along with this repositioning, we would cut 6" off of the spoiler board. Also, we plan to make the base of the table a bit taller to allow for longer boards to be placed on end.

Regards,

Jeff
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 12:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Rene, I did allow 2" extra, but that was for large cutter diameters. You will manage 1" thick boards with 1" diameter cutters, without lengthening the x-rails, but that is cutting it fine.
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 13:50
astrolavista
Just call me: Rene #29

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
Thanks Guys, I think I'll build in a extra 6"-12" and avoid the bangs..

Oh ya, Grerald the plans & the Forum are great.. thanks, I can hardly wait til my cut parts come from Heath (domino11)..
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 14:11
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Rene,
Parts are being bent right now, shouldn't be too long. I think I also saw some people had made a small slot in their spoilboard for doing dovetails and edge routing, not sure if that would be a good option. Extra length on the table would also give you room for an indexer or lathe.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read